Where is the built-in dictionary?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I have wondered if there is some technical reason why there is no built-in dictionary on any Windows Phones reading app. Kindle and Kobo don't have it even though they do on every other platform. On apps like Bookvisor and Mohoo Reader the dictionary is not built-in and only hyperlinks to Bing or Google. Are Kindle and Kobo apps so inferior on Windows Phone because of Amazon and Kobo or is there something about Windows Phone that makes a built-in dictionary problematic.

My guess since MS has it's own built in dictionary in it's Office products it's likely we'll see something in the future. I'm guessing it's not easy to implement.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Thing is most writing is done with a level of slang or at a low level of knowledge. Lots of slang doesn't appear in dictionaries unfortunately.

Then I'd say don't read "most writing" :wink:

Jokes aside, I agree, but even in the U.S. , where cable news is probably more dumbed down than anywhere else in the western world, I'd say there are still a lot of thought provoking and sophisticated texts being published, that require a good degree of English proficiency to fully appreciate. You just have to go looking for it, because it's not forced in front of your eyes.

Also note that English isn't the only language people would want a dictionary for. There's a lot written in many languages that is very much worth reading... not just English.

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
My guess since MS has it's own built in dictionary in it's Office products it's likely we'll see something in the future. I'm guessing it's not easy to implement.

The size of a dictionary is likely the only issue. Have the definition looked up online and MS should have no technical difficulties at all.

Autocorrect is technically a far more complex feature than a dictionary lookup.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
When I first read this, I thought the OP was talking about a custom dictionary. Obviously WP has a built-in dictionary and you can add your own words to it and reset that list of suggestions. You can also add additional language keyboards and switch between them which in turn, changes word suggestions from the said dictionary.

What you can't do is browse that dictionary separately or search for definitions, I'm pretty sure neither the iPhone nor Android can do that natively either, so what's the big deal? I've been using the dictionary.com app for WP since forever and it has offline support too and works very well.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I was playing with a Samsung Note 4 today at Best Buy and I noticed even on web pages you can highlight a word an pull up the dictionary.

chaitanya91845

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
iOS has this feature and it is pretty neat. You long press a word (on any app) and select define. It opens up a small popup on the same page with the definition. No need to leave the app. Now consider that I am reading a novel and I have to check the definition of some words. Isn't it silly and cumbersome to keep jumping between apps like browser or dictionary and an ebook?
Windows Phone should have this feature. Those who read books on their phone would love it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo