Can anyone help me with some questions about Microsoft phones?

dashrendar

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Questions from an Android User

Hi all,

I'm an Android user of 3 years who owns a Samsung Galaxy S2 with Cyanogenmod (custom ROM) 4.4 KitKat. For while, I've been thinking about switching sides to Windows Phone (e.g. Lumia 830) but I wanted to make sure I'm not surprised/shocked by anything.

In terms of apps, I think I can find replacements for most, if not all, of my current Android apps.

I had the following questions:
1- With Lumia 830 being a Microsoft phone, is there a good chance it will be supported for a good while, especially around the time that Windows 10 is released?
2- Is there an OS option or an app that allows you to create profiles for volume, display, data, BT and GPS settings? I guess similar to something like Nokia Situations or Android's MyProfile?
3- Is there any music app in the Windows Phone ecosystem that supports reading ReplayGain tags from mp3s and FLAC files? I couldn't find any documentation in any of the available music apps.

Thanks!

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Re: Questions from an Android User

1. Most probably yes. About 99.99% sure.
2. No idea. Unless I'm not understanding what you mean by profiles.
3. Moliplayer

dashrendar

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site

Thanks, SammyD97.

Regarding number #2, I'm referring to an app that allows you to control multiple system settings (volume, display, BT, GPS, Wifi, Mobile Network, etc.) with a single press.

As for #3, I couldn't find any reference to ReplayGain in the Moliplayer description in the Windows Phone store. Have you seen any?

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site

Quick Settings isn't profiles though, it only enables quick access to individual system settings without digging through that abysmal settings menu.

dashrendar

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site

Quick Settings isn't profiles though, it only enables quick access to individual system settings without digging through that abysmal settings menu.

Exactly. One press using a profiles-based application would take multiple steps in Windows Phone. For example, for Driving profile, I want to raise the media volume to max, turn on Bluetooth, turn on GPS, disable WiFi, turn on mobile data, disable lockscreen, change brightness to automatic and increase screen on time to 5 minutes. That's 8 steps that I don't need to worry about.

And what's worse is that it's not a matter of an app being or not being available for it. Microsoft locked/restricted the API to change these individual settings in Windows Phone 8.1 for security purposes. It's a big compromise in my opinion. I think they need to let the user decide on the permissions for this one, and not Microsoft.

dashrendar

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
No audiogain sorry. There is audio levelling in the audio settings though.

Damn. All the work I do in MediaMonkey would go to waste if I lose that. PowerAmp for Android handles ReplayGain perfectly. This is another compromise when going from Android to Windows Phone.

Any idea how audio leveling works? Is it global in the OS or a feature of a certain app?

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Damn. All the work I do in MediaMonkey would go to waste if I lose that. PowerAmp for Android handles ReplayGain perfectly. This is another compromise when going from Android to Windows Phone.

Any idea how audio leveling works? Is it global in the OS or a feature of a certain app?
Global in the OS

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

2- Is there an OS option or an app that allows you to create profiles for volume, display, data, BT and GPS settings? I guess similar to something like Nokia Situations ... !

I remember that, great app on my E71, N8 - that IS the one app I really miss. Took into account location, time of day, day of week, etc - almost any condition to create a custom profile.

I'd luv to give that a shot, it was VERY useful ...
may be an opening for Rudy Huyn - I'd pay for that !

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb