SD card not recognized after update

Phrozty

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Did an update yesterday and afterwards, my 1520 wouldn't recognize my SD card. I had all my apps on there, so I'm kind of stuck.

I tried putting it in a reader for my comp, and it says I need to format it...

Do I have any options here? All my music/photos/apps are on this card.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
YES...
- turn OFF the phone
- pull the card
- turn the phone back ON
- mount the sdCard, see if it recognizes it
- if not, NO, you have no options

BTW - your apps are probably history, they'd have to be re-installed

What was on your phone memory ?

Phrozty

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Right... That's how to shut it down, but it instantly restarts after it shuts down. There's not enough time to take the card out, because it starts right back up.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Right... That's how to shut it down, but it instantly restarts after it shuts down. There's not enough time to take the card out, because it starts right back up.

Then do it without it charging? Windows Phones turn on while charging, a little fyi.

Phrozty

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
My phone starts back up the second it shuts down, regardless of whether or not it's charging.. I'm not sure what you're "shaking your head at," but either there's a misunderstanding between what you're trying to say, or there's something I'm missing.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
My phone starts back up the second it shuts down, regardless of whether or not it's charging.. I'm not sure what you're "shaking your head at," but either there's a misunderstanding between what you're trying to say, or there's something I'm missing.

Really? That's rather strange actually, usually only boots up if you press the power button again unless you're doing a soft reset (power button + volume down key) in which it'll boot up right after it shuts down.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

Something you're missing ...

To POWER the phone off :
- depress the POWER button (for ~~ 2 seconds)
- slide down to power off - the phone should stay OFF - if NOT phone is defective !

WHAT are you doing ? :shocked: :straight: :shocked: :cool:

IF you can't power the phone OFF, how did you pull the sdcard ?

Phrozty

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Something you're missing ...

To POWER the phone off :
- depress the POWER button (for ~~ 2 seconds)
- slide down to power off - the phone should stay OFF - if NOT phone is defective !

WHAT are you doing ? :shocked: :straight: :shocked: :cool:

IF you can't power the phone OFF, how did you pull the sdcard ?

Sigh.... well it looks like I have multiple problems here.. because it definitely reboots as soon as it turns off. I can even take a video if you want. I slide down to power off, then put it on my desk so I'm not touching at AT ALL!

Takes about a minute while saying "goodbye," then the capacitive buttons at the bottom of the phone take about another 30 seconds before their lights shut off, then it buzzes and reboots.

EDIT: side note... this past time I did it, after the windows logo, it did not get to the ATT logo, it just said, "loading" and then rebooted again after about a minute or two. The second reboot was very quick from nokia to desktop though.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Sigh.... well it looks like I have multiple problems here.. because it definitely reboots as soon as it turns off. I can even take a video if you want. I slide down to power off, then put it on my desk so I'm not touching at AT ALL!

Takes about a minute while saying "goodbye," then the capacitive buttons at the bottom of the phone take about another 30 seconds before their lights shut off, then it buzzes and reboots.

EDIT: side note... this past time I did it, after the windows logo, it did not get to the ATT logo, it just said, "loading" and then rebooted again after about a minute or two. The second reboot was very quick from nokia to desktop though.

I'd be taking that device BACK to where I got it ... BUT

DO you have a case on the phone ?
That could be causing the restart ... It should NOT work your way, when you shutdown it should stay OFF.

Phrozty

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I'd be taking that device BACK to where I got it ... BUT

DO you have a case on the phone ?
That could be causing the restart ... It should NOT work your way, when you shutdown it should stay OFF.

No case, no screen protector, and I've had it almost a year now, so I'm not sure I could take it back.

Phrozty

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Well obviously there are a few issues here... so the question now becomes:

- Do I do a hard reset of the phone and hope that it will then recognize the SD card?
or
- Do I format the card and hope the phone will recognize it?
or
- Wipe everything clean on both devices....

Phrozty

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Not having received a reply, I was going to just format the SD card, but now it turns out, I can't get anything to recognize it past 32GB. It's a 64GB card and was originally formatted that way. I'd been using that way for over half a year in my Lumia 1520

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Not having received a reply, I was going to just format the SD card, but now it turns out, I can't get anything to recognize it past 32GB. It's a 64GB card and was originally formatted that way. I'd been using that way for over half a year in my Lumia 1520
Since you never mentioned if you actually used more than 32GB, and by that I mean confirmed more than 32 GB could be read back from it, don't rule out having a counterfeit SD card. Its fairly common for a small card to be sold as a larger card after doctoring it to report that it is larger than it actually is.

Phrozty

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Since you never mentioned if you actually used more than 32GB, and by that I mean confirmed more than 32 GB could be read back from it, don't rule out having a counterfeit SD card. Its fairly common for a small card to be sold as a larger card after doctoring it to report that it is larger than it actually is.

I got it from newegg I believe, and yeah I had way more than 32gb on it with games/music/videos.

I also noticed that I can't seem to format it in exFAT, even though it was formatted that way before.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs