What is the difference between the Windows Phone 8.1 vs Preview For Developer?

LumiaPhotoBrain

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Windows Phone 8.1 vs Preview For Developer

I'm having a hard time understanding the difference/distinguishing between WP8.1 for the average consumer (not a developer) and the 8.1 Preview for Developers. I didn't sign up for the PD, but I did get an update for 8.1 on my AT&T Lumia 1020 (which I have downloaded but not yet installed).

The update build number is 8.10.12393.890. On my phone there is no mention of Preview on the screen giving me detail on what this update is. When I Google this build number, I get results about Preview for Developer. I don't really want to install a preview, especially after hearing all the problems that people are having.

Thanks for any help

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Windows Phone 8.1 vs Preview For Developer

The main difference, essentially, is that "developers" get a "preview" access to an OS version ahead of time than the "average" customer. This means that the OS version that those enrolled in the preview for developer program are "more updated" than those of the "average customer". If the OS version your phone has is the same as or older than* what is posted to be the "Latest version" in the Windows Phone update page, then you are not enrolled in the preview for developers program. But if you have an OS version that is "newer" than what is in the Windows Phone update page, then you are in the Preview for Developer program.

You may check your OS version number in Settings > about > more info, and then compare that with the "Latest Version" in the Windows Phone update page.

*- If your OS version is older than what is posted, then you may want to update your phone once it becomes available.

Additional note on Google: the probable reason why Google returned Preview for Developer results on your query on your OS version is that a lot of people made the same query as soon as that OS version was made available to those enrolled in the Preview for Developers program several months ago.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12