MSN Weather lockscreen static

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I've set my lock screen to the MSN Weather one. However it's completely static, meaning it doesn't update unless I launch the app manually. Only then does it reflect my current location and weather, otherwise it's stuck. Is there a setting to enable automatic location and data updates? Until I'd launched the app a couple of minutes ago it still displayed yesterday's weather at a location a couple of hundred kilometers away.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
No settings; does your weather tile update correctly? It sometimes takes a bit before the lockscreen is updated.

When Updating from "bing" to "msn" weather, I had to unpin my favourite city and re-pin it so that it starts to update.

Besides there was a bug server-side yesterday, affecting my Surface 2 and 1020 (days doubled, like Tue Tue Wed Wed instead of Tue Wed Thu Fri).

If nothing fixes it, try to uninstall/reinstall msn weather.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
In addition to was msirapian said, make sure that the default launch location in the MSN Weather app settings is set to "Current Location", and not to "Home Location". This worked when I encountered a problem similar to yours. If this does not work, then re-install the app.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Now that you've mentioned it, the lock screen isn't updating itself anymore either. The settings are correct, I have MSN Weather set to launch with my current location instead of my home location. The live tile used to update, however, only yesterday and today have I noticed that it's not working. Has there been an update to MSN Weather in the recent days?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Have not encountered server-side glitches in my region so far, but given that your settings are all correct we can wait until the server glitches disappear - I have no way of confirming this unfortunately. In the meantime, while waiting, you may want to restart or soft reset* your phone once or twice and see if that does something (just in case it's not a server glitch anymore). This will not erase your personal data.

*- A developer of a certain weather app gave me this advise when I notified him that the weather tiles and lock screen are no longer updating. Says it was an issue in the newer OS Versions. After two restarts (simple power down and up), the tiles and lock screen were updating normally.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I've seen the server side glitches information and I'll just wait a few days. Like I said, I remember the live tile updating but it didn't work yesterday. Quite possible that this is the cause for my problem. Thanks, I'll wait a few days and keep you updated.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Server had problems yesterday on all my devices, today everything is OK and I changed/touched nothing.

Usually, unpin/repin and/or uninstall/reinstall makes it. If not, yes, soft reset, and if it doesn't fix, it's really up to Microsoft :|

Gibraltar75

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Have you installed the weather app on a SD card? When I did that the live tile and lock screen would not update. Just move the app back to the internal memory and test after rebooting the phone.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
You know what, that might be the case. I'll check, thank you.

Edit: Nope, just checked, all apps are installed on my phone, not my SD card.

her3814

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Trey watching "battery saver"options.. Maybe weather is blocked by the app so it can't update live tiles or lock screen.. Cheers 🍻

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Weird... Since it's been static all day yesterday I've reinstalled the app yesterday but to no avail. This morning (phone was plugged in over night, connected to Wifi) both the lock screen and the live tile were still showing last night's weather. I'll try restaring or soft resetting the phone next.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Reboot (no soft reset necessary, simple shutdown - power on) seems to have fixed it. Immediately after starting up both lock screen and live tile were still showing last night's weather at last night's location. I haven't launched the weather app or touched the phone for a while at all but they have both updated now and are showing both my current location and weather.

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
How to use msn weather on glance screen? Can anyone help me?
I have been facing the same issue. I set Weather app as lock screen, then opened the app. After that I restarted my phone but nothing appears on glace and the lock screen just shows blue background without any weather details. :amaze:

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
My L635 doesn't have Glance so I can't comment on that. But the lock screen definitely works again, it's updated itself again without any interaction on my part.
Obviosly you need to allow the weather app to run in the background (battery saver) but that's really all that's necessary as far as I can see.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
And today, MSN News tile is not updating on my 1020 (when it does on the Surface). If the regular tricks do not fix your situation, patience is your best chance, as it's probably Microsoft related.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Just a quick update: ever since the reboot everything's been fine. Both the live tile and the lock screen have been updating regularly location and weather all day long without any sort of interaction on my part. Next time this happens I'll simply reboot the phone.

Good to know that the old Windows tricks (aka 'have you tried turning it off and on again') still work even on Windows phones :devil:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs