Email attachments in WP 8.1

Vinayak Rajesekhar

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I'd like to have a few queries answered with respect to Email attachments in WP 8.1.

In the first instance, I downloaded a .mov file which completed, but didn't play.
Here, could someone tell me what happens to downloaded files which don't open? I certainly would not like to have them on my memory. Is there any way by which I could have the downloaded file cleaned up?

In the second instance, I downloaded a .png file which did open but I deleted it later. Here, only the saved file is deleted. But what about the download? I still have the option of saving the file again but what if I don't want to? Is it possible to delete the download itself?

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
1: There is an app by Microsoft called "Files". You can check all kind of files and move/delete/... them.
2: Dont know what you mean. When you deleted the file, it is gone. Simple as that. The downloaded file IS the saved file.

keerthi vasan

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
2. Assuming you are speaking about downloading in a browser- it is saved in only one location. So if you delete the saved file you will not find it anywhere in the phone

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Whether an email attachment is a valid file type for the phone or not, until you are either able to open the file or save it to your phone, it remains within your email's local data storage. You can view (Office-type) opened email attachments in the Office hub but deleting them from there does not delete the attachment in the email.

You have raised an interesting question though. I'm sure I've gone back to open an email message some days after I previously downloaded its attachment only to find out that it needed to download it all over again, I'm sure I've seen this. I will test over the coming days.

Vinayak Rajesekhar

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
envio, how does one delete the downloaded file from the Email's local data storage? Downloaded (but unsaved) attachments often take up unnecessary space on my SD Card/Phone Memory.

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
You don't say which phone, but I'm guessing a Lumia in some guise?

If so the Lumia Storage Check is worth downloading from the store.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Just to clarify, any downloaded but unsaved e-mail attachments remain in your email storage unless they are naturally purged along with the message body through your e-mail retention options or you remove the email account from your phone or you delete the email message. I had a suspicion that they might get cleaned over time but I've now found downloaded and unsaved attachments that are still there some two weeks later.

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I set my mail account to 1 month. So normally I have around 200MB for my mail, which is ok. Still got few GB left, no need to do anything. But jf you get more attachments and keep the mails longer, I can see there might be a problem with space.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05