How to add new calendar event from email message?

Benjamin Pratt

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
In the new features list for WP 8.1 the calendar section says:

Spruced-up calendar. The calendar gets a major refresh with new interactive views ? tap a day, and it expands to show details (and they scroll!). Plus you'll see the weather forecast for each day, and it's easy to add a new event from an email or text message.

Exactly how do I add a new event from an email message? I was expecting a menu function like 'convert to event' when viewing an email. But I'm not seeing anything that resembles making events from emails.

Is anyone using this feature and can explain how it's done?

Thanks!
Ben

FredBloggs007

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
It may appear to be a bit misleading but its not via an option in the menu. Basically, if someone sends you an email or text with a date in it - e.g. "Let's meet for dinner on 14 November" then the words "14 November" are highlighted (like a hyperlink). You then touch the date and a calendar entry is created. Depending on what's written before the date, it will add that as the title of the event - in this case "Dinner". Hope that helps.

Benjamin Pratt

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Ahh, I see. Thanks for the explanation. I suppose it's a useful feature in some cases. I'll keep in in mind.
I was hoping the entire email text would be copied as the description field of the event. For travel itineraries (flight, hotel, rental car, etc.) relevant information like confirmation code, hotel phone #, etc. would be in the event description. Oh well. Still, it looks to be useful for simpler events. Thanks.

FredBloggs007

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Ahh, I see. Thanks for the explanation. I suppose it's a useful feature in some cases. I'll keep in in mind.
I was hoping the entire email text would be copied as the description field of the event. For travel itineraries (flight, hotel, rental car, etc.) relevant information like confirmation code, hotel phone #, etc. would be in the event description. Oh well. Still, it looks to be useful for simpler events. Thanks.

Yeah - I agree. Copying the contents of the full email is what I normally end up doing...

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Is this supposed to work with Cyan? I ran into this scenario yesterday, wanted to convert a message into a calendar event but wasn't able to tap the date included in the message body. There was nothing there that I could've possibly tapped, date and time were displayed as regular text.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon