Q4 2014: Windows Phone high-end hardware dilemmas

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
So, let's summarize. I currently have an 822 out of contracting and a malfunctioning 928 which I am able to early upgrade at this point. I have no idea what to buy, however, as there appears a major stumbling block with every single option that would make me regret purchasing each device.

For high-end Windows Phone hardware these are my choices:

1. Nokia Lumia Icon (Verizon, retired) - This would be my choice, but now we are no longer guaranteed updates beyond Cyan! I would deeply regret buying a phone that does not get Windows 10 update, and Microsoft/Verizon will not commit anything except Cyan (nevermind Denim or W10). No MicroSD or glance, but I can live without that. But I do not want to be left behind in updates post-Cyan.

2. Nokia Lumia 930 (International) - Does not support USA LTE. 'nuff said.

3. Nokia Lumia 1520 (AT&T) - No Qi, which is a deal-killer for me. And its too big for me!

4. Nokia Lumia 1520.3 (International) - Perfect phone spec-wise, if it were 5"... For daily and one-handed use 6" is just too large from my experience. Also the screen arguably is not as good as the one in the Icon despite the 1520's larger size, while no slouch it does not quite match up to the AMOLED.

5. Nokia Lumia 830 (AT&T and International) - Almost perfect, but uses a Snapdragon 400 meaning "Hey Cortana" will never work - this is a feature I'd like to have in a phone I use for the next 1-2 years. A shame they did not use the 800 and would have filled a gap given's Verizon's retirement of the Icon.

As far as I can tell my options are:
A) Get the Icon and pray Verizon/Microsoft work out a deal for Denim/W10.
B) Spend $1000 on the 1520+830 and get phones I am not entirely happy with.
C) Try to get a replacement 928 and wait 6 months for (maybe) the next high-end Windows Phone, if Microsoft even launches one on par with the Icon/1520.

None are good options.

Granted you can blame all of this on Verizon, but a great deal of blame also falls on Microsoft for failing to commit enough financial resources to the platform that will strike the deals to prevent situations like that. Even currently, Microsoft could work out a deal with Verizon that allows them to announce they will work with Verizon to keep the Icon updated for the next 2 years. I am not entirely confident in the new CEO who seems equally as happy to have an iPhone/Android user vs. a Windows Phone user. I do not think he will abandon the platform, but I could see a dramatic focus on low end with little high end devices available.

Panathas

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
You are totally right. MS failed to launch any device for high end users this holiday season. I would get the L930, but I also don't care about LTE.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
What about the HTC M8? You mentioned all Lumia's. Maybe it's the camera?

As for another high end phone. Possibly next year, some time after the official W10 release. Christmas 2015? Or am I too pessimistic? :p

primortal

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
IMHOP I think VZW will at least support Denim on the Icon. They haven't listed the 822 as "Not available" on Microsoft site for software update and the 822 is really old device.

You still can buy the Icon from the Microsoft Store (online at least).

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I say 1520.3. US LTE compatibility, killer battery life and great hardware spec. It is the best all-around WP out there right now.

You mention the screen... @367ppi you have to get your face ridiculously close to the screen to see any appreciable difference between that or the 930/Icon's 441ppi. You also seem to favor AMOLED, but I like the warm tones of IPS LCD. With the Cyan update you can really dial the screen in nicely via the Display settings.

It's Factory Unlocked so no waiting on carriers to push an update. The Snapdragon 800 is going to get everything Denim offers and rumor has the 1520 as a prime example of the type of legacy phone to take advantage of Win10.

Either that or wait to see what the Spring 2015 round of announcements offer... Nothing is coming with equal or better spec before then.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
What about the HTC M8? You mentioned all Lumia's. Maybe it's the camera?

As for another high end phone. Possibly next year, some time after the official W10 release. Christmas 2015? Or am I too pessimistic? :p

M8 stumbling blocks for me are the camera and lack of Qi.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'll be looking in Feb, but it's the reported high failure rate of the 1520 touch screens that puts me off.

I'm not sure that wasn't just early run models though... Anecdotal evidence in the 1520 forum seems to be that current purchases are not having screen issues (or it's not getting chatted about)... Just my guess. I have no hard proof.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Regardless of whether 1520 screen issue is fixed (though I read ppl with 1520.3 get it) the screen is still too large for my usage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234