Does it make sense to switch now?

DeerSteak

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I have an iPhone 5s. The last two months since iOS 8 came out and a crazy issue that requires me to disable/re-enable wifi every time I wake up the phone makes me want to chuck it out the window. (btw, it's not fixed in iOS 8.1, and Apple's support forums are full of people like me - it's not a one off problem I'm having). I've had Android phones in the past and my wife currently has an SGS5 and I don't like any of it. So I'm looking at getting a Windows Phone.

Thing is, my carrier (Verizon) doesn't really have anything new - they have dropped the Lumia Icon from their listings, the HTC One for WP8 is based on a phone that's already 7 months old, and the Ativ SE is a Samsung (which has that against it). I could get a Lumia 822 or 928 but those are both old as far as I can tell.

I've actually been itching to learn about mobile app development and iOS requires owning a Mac (which I don't). So I started playing with VS2013 Express and took a couple classes on C# and WP8.1/XAML on the MS Virtual Academy. The emulator works well, and the phone OS looks nice, so I think with that experience I'm ready to give it a go.

So is a new flagship right around the corner? MS has something planned for 11/11 I guess, so I should at least wait until then. But beyond that, what else is coming? If the rumor that iOS 8.1.1 will fix my problem is true, I can hold off a bit, but certainly very interested, and I can jump any time being on Edge and eligible to upgrade early.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
As far as we know there won't be any flagship Windows Phones coming until next year, probably when Windows 10 is released.

The announcement next week is probably going to be an entry-level device, based upon all reports so far.

If you're looking for a flagship device, I'd suggest waiting. You might want to check out the Marketplace forum on WCentral. You might be able to find someone selling a 928, Icon or 822 at a good price if you want to try a Windows Phone on Verizon.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 via Tapatalk

DeerSteak

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Laura. I was kind of leaning towards getting a 928 now used and hang onto my iPhone so I can Edge up when the new flagship comes out.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Laura. I was kind of leaning towards getting a 928 now used and hang onto my iPhone so I can Edge up when the new flagship comes out.

You're welcome. That wouldn't be a bad idea. The 928 is still a decent device to try Windows Phone for now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss