Direct WiFi file transfer between WP8.1 phones and Laptops

simplex1

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Direct WiFi file transfer between WP8.1 phones and Laptops

I have found an application called "Easy Transfer" (see: Easy Transfer | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)). I installed it in my phone and I can nou transfer pictures taken with the mobile but I can not see the "Documents" folder despite the fact it exists in my phone and contains a few files.
Is there a way to make that folder visible on my Laptop same as "Photo"?
Is there another application equivalent to "Easy Transfer"?

simplex1

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Is "Easy Transfer" a real WiFi Direct file transfer application for Windows phones?

I noticed that in order to use it I have to connect both, the phone and PC, to the same router, otherwise it does not work.

kvrbrijith

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Is "Easy Transfer" a real WiFi Direct file transfer application for Windows phones?

I noticed that in order to use it I have to connect both, the phone and PC, to the same router, otherwise it does not work.

Actually, easy transfer doesn't need a common Wi-Fi router. We can use the"internet sharing" option in the phone for connecting both devices together..

simplex1

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Actually, easy transfer doesn't need a common Wi-Fi router. We can use the"internet sharing" option in the phone for connecting both devices together..
I have just tried it at your suggestion and when I want to turn "Sharing On" (in Settings) I receive the message:
"There's no cellular data connection to share right now ..."
I see a proposed:
Broadcast name: NOKIA_Lumia_Number
and
Password: 973 ...
but I can not determine the phone to broadcast its name to see it on my PC.

I mention that I have no SIM card in the phone and I do not want to use anything else excepting the WiFi.

I can not follow the instructions from here:
Sharing your connection on Windows Phone | Windows Phone How-to (Canada)
It seems that they apply just for sharing your Mobile Phone data connection (which is expensive) with a Laptop that can not access an internet router. For example, you are somewhere in woods in you car and want to download from the net, in your laptop, a satellite picture of the place which is not the purpose of "Easy Transfer".

It would be nice to make the phone broadcast its name, like a router, just for direct WiFi file transfer between the PC and Mobile Phone without any mobile (GSM) data connection being required.

Last edited:

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I have just tried it at your suggestion and when I want to turn "Sharing On" (in Settings) I receive the message:
"There's no cellular data connection to share right now ..."
I see a proposed:
Broadcast name: NOKIA_Lumia_Number
and
Password: 973 ...
but I can not determine the phone to broadcast its name to see it on my PC.

I mention that I have no SIM card in the phone and I do not want to use anything else excepting the WiFi.

This sharing feature needs a SIM card. It uses the data connection and broadcasts that network over WiFi. Nothing similar to WiFi-direct. :/

simplex1

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
This sharing feature needs a SIM card. It uses the data connection and broadcasts that network over WiFi. Nothing similar to WiFi-direct. :/
So, if I understand well, there is no way to use "Easy Transfer" without a router.
A WP8.1 phone can not be forced to broadcast its name without a SIM card.

Is there another application that allows me to transfer files between the phone and PC using the WiFi but without the help of a router or mobile data connection, just utilizing Direct WiFi?

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
So, if I understand well, there is no way to use "Easy Transfer" without a router.
A WP8.1 phone can not be forced to broadcast its name without a SIM card.

Is there another application that allows me to transfer files between the phone and PC using the WiFi but without the help of a router or mobile data connection, just utilizing Direct WiFi?

WP doesn't support WiFi-direct sharing at the moment. You'll need to wait for newer versions of WP. BTW, Miracast (present on newer Lumias) works using WiFi-direct. So, the OS does support it. MS just needs to open it up so that it is accessible to the devs and the user.

SoapBox3000

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Bluetooth or NFC are your best bets. in order to transfer files from your phone to a computer and vice verse. you will need a cool windows technology called Network Discovery which isn't available for windows phone yet since it is primarily a Windows x64/x86 Technology and is normalily facilitated by a server on the same subnet or group of subnets that your devices are on (i.e a domain controller).

in layman's terms you can use Bluetooth or NFC. FTP wont work because you would have to have a non apipa IP address for it to work.

The only other thing you can do is use the data cable that came with the phone and plug it into your computer the old school way and use it as a mass storage device.

just some humble grumblings and ideas from a lowly IT professional.

SoapBox3000

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Bagzton,
That wont work since the guys wants to essentially do an internal network file transfer from his phone to his computer and back.

Scott Leonard

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
I was browsing through the app store this morning and came across this app named File Explorer. I can't proper post links yet so here is the location: windowsphone dot com/en-us/store/app/file-explorer/8d87e9b9-6e03-4585-a947-339ff038dd3b

I haven't tried it yet as my laptop is at work and I'm on vacation but it lists access to Windows Phone Isolated storage as well as direct Wi-Fi transfers in it's feature list.

simplex1

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Before posting the names of various applications that you believe they might be WiFi Direct File Explorers please test them.

For example, I found an application called "WiFi sender" (Wifi Sender | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)) which seems, at least in its trial version, to work better than "Easy Transfer" in the sense that from my mobile phone (Nokia Lumia 520) I can sent any file (there is a size limitation in the trial version) to my laptop while "Easy Transfer" does not see the Documents folder which could be a bug. The drawback might be "WiFi Sender" is a paid software and the advantage over "Easy Transfer" that you can send files to any laptop without being obliged to display all your files on the screen of that PC.
However it is not Wi-Fi Direct. "WiFi sender" needs a router.

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
That'll eat the data, right?

Not really. You can turn off your data connection once you've turned on internet sharing. It will still work as intended. The missing documents folder is a drawback but not a major one in my case because I keep documents on SD card.

And no, you don't need a router to use Easy Transfer. Just a sim in your phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb