Randomly losing cellular connectivity

sandman

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
This may be a long shot, but I thought I would ask on here first.

i have a Lumia 1020 running the latest developer preview. (8.10.14203.306)

Recently my Lumia 1020 started randomly losing its cellular connection 1-2 times a day. When this occurs, it appears it still has a connection. So it shows bars and a 4G or LTE connection. It's not until I try to browse that I realize I don't have connectivity. At this point anything I do says it can't find servers, or web exceptions.

during this time I cannot receive calls, notifications, emails, etc.

ive found any of these three fix it:
1. Simply reboot the device.
2. Make a phone call. The call won't complete, but the phone will suddenly show no connection where the bars are, then it'll reconnect.
3. Put it in airplane mode then take it out. This results is the phone rebooting itself.

i have tried (all failed to resolve the issue):
1. Factory reset. I then reloaded my backup.
2. New SIM card
3. Spoken to att. They ran some tests and say it's not their network, I'm inclined to believe as nobody else around me on att is having issues.

Next I'm going to restore to the latest supported OS without restoring my backup and see if it reoccurs.

i'm afraid it's hardware related. I'm not wanting to replace it right now as I don't want to go back under contract for the exact same hardware. I wanted to wait until wp10 to upgrade. Of course my 1year warranty expired last month :/

if if anybody else has experienced this or has any suggestion let me know pls. I'm all ears.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a cover on?
Do you live in a badly covered area?
Do you have the latest Network+ update.
Would you feel OK with reflashing your phone with Nokia's recovery tool? This way you can make sure that your problem is software or not, and you were going to get a replacement anyways.

Paul Lagerman

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I too have been experience the same situation on my HTC 8X. I had this issue before installing the 8.1 Developer Preview, thinking the preview may fix it. I too am thinking it's a hardware issue as it keeps dropping the cellular data connection.

sandman

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Do you have a cover on?
Do you live in a badly covered area?
Do you have the latest Network+ update.
Would you feel OK with reflashing your phone with Nokia's recovery tool? This way you can make sure that your problem is software or not, and you were going to get a replacement anyways.

I have the 1020 wireless charging cover on. I'm in an area with great coverage. I just flashed my device with the Nokia recovery tool (and I did mot restore my backup), so we'll see what happens... Unfortunately I didn't check the version of network+ before the recovery.

I'm really trying to prevent getting a replacement at this time :(

sandman

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I too have been experience the same situation on my HTC 8X. I had this issue before installing the 8.1 Developer Preview, thinking the preview may fix it. I too am thinking it's a hardware issue as it keeps dropping the cellular data connection.

Do you lose voice as well?

Kunalya

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Mee too loosing coverage of my airtel connection, though having singnals but some,times call gets droped itself...

DrDon

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
I have no issue with voice, SMS or email on the phone, but Internet Sharing via WiFi fails at random intervals, becoming more frequent the longer it's on. It gets to the point it'll drop the connection after only 20 seconds. I have to cycle Internet Sharing to get it back. HOWEVER, If I set Internet Sharing to BLUETOOTH, it works just fine.

DrDon

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
Solved my problem. The default SSID name on the phone ("Windows Phone4531") had a space in it. Changed the phone to an SSID that had no spaces and it works fine, now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss