Why JPEG are so bad on Lumia devices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
OP
- What are the file sizes of the two JPGs, and at what quality level was the JPG in Light Room saved?
- Is it correct that the JPG pulled from the camera remained completely unaltered, i.e. was never saved by an image processor?

I don't think the colour is necessarily a problem, as that can all be corrected in post. The main problem I see is the loss of detail in dark areas, and I'm wondering if that is a result of compression or something else.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm realizing that having bring this discussion was just a big waste of time. A BIG.

So I ask for moderation to close this topic.

I don't think people are prepared to understand and discuss about image quality here. Clearly most don't have sufficient knowledge to discuss and it's meaningless continues this crazyness.

I hate to be the one that breaks the news to you, but not everyone sees color balance or saturation alike, including you.
Out of curiosity which picture of yours that I posted do you "like" or think is more "accurate" ?

Yeah, probably I have a ET monitor technology or something. Or my eyes have powers like superman.

Anyway, if you don't see any difference between theses pictures, probably I don't have much to discuss with you.

So while you prefer your RAW file, the JPG is the camera's guess at what the real scene was like. In this instance you don't like it as much.

Absolutely not. The colors on JPEG from Lumia are washed out. I don't have superman vision, but I really don't think I see washed colors in real world.

BTW the dng is straight from the sensor and at 16 or 19MP (depending on aspect ratio). The jpg is 5MP and oversampled. They will never look the same. Does an apple look the same as an orange?

OMG, there's nothing to do with megapixel or resolution.

I know my english is not that good, but looking at the posts here, I think I'm wrinting in german, latin or japanese.

OP
- What are the file sizes of the two JPGs, and at what quality level was the JPG in Light Room saved?
- Is it correct that the JPG pulled from the camera remained completely unaltered, i.e. was never saved by an image processor?

I don't think the colour is necessarily a problem, as that can all be corrected in post. The main problem I see is the loss of detail in dark areas, and I'm wondering if that is a result of compression or something else.

1) Image quality and accuracy have nothing to do with size or resolution of a picture. Even on a comparison.
2) No, JPEG will never have the same quality from DNG file. But the results of Lumia compression are just pathetic with a huge quality loss.

The loss of detail is expected from JPEG files, specially on dark areas.

Last edited:

anon(5841099)

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I am going to be a jerk and say that the OP has very little knowledge about photography while making claims trying to sound like a pro :). He's done it before in some other threads ;).

The JPG is the RAW information processed by an algorithm in the phone. This algorithm is set up to hopefully appeal to the masses, with some punchy contrast and color treatment. It will not be to everybody's taste. That will be the case with every single phone. In your images, it applies a slightly different tint, does something to the highlights and saturation and more.

It's really not a huge difference, and you have the RAW to make the image into whatever does please you. So stop over reacting :).

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I am going to be a jerk and say that the OP has very little knowledge about photography while making claims trying to sound like a pro :). He's done it before in some other threads ;).

The JPG is the RAW information processed by an algorithm in the phone. This algorithm is set up to hopefully appeal to the masses, with some punchy contrast and color treatment. It will not be to everybody's taste. That will be the case with every single phone. In your images, it applies a slightly different tint, does something to the highlights and saturation and more.

It's really not a huge difference, and you have the RAW to make the image into whatever does please you. So stop over reacting :).

One more who don't understand nothing about photography talking about taste when COLOR ACCURACY HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH TASTE..

It's just pointless. Please close this topic. It's like talking about soccer with ping pong fans who hates soccer. Never gonna work.

Anyway, JPEG is great on Lumia, DNG pics are bad. JPEG is very similar to DNG and JPEG is not to be similar to DNG. Great things we learned on this topic!!! LOOOOL

Please just close this.

Last edited:

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Actually it has everything to do with taste. That is why RAW exists. So you can get more information than a JPG can ever provide and turn it into the image you want.

Any professional photographer will tell you that.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The loss of detail is expected from JPEG files, specially on dark areas.
Ok, yet the JPG that was converted from the DNG still has a lot more detail in dark areas than the JPG pulled directly from the camera does! So, there's still a huge difference between those two JPG images in that regard. The reason I'm asking is because the detail that is lost in dark areas is gone forever. You can't get that back, while what you're complaining about SEEMS to be something that can largely be alleviated with a tonal filter. I think you are raging about the wrong thing.
2) No, JPEG will never have the same quality from DNG file. But the results of Lumia compression are just pathetic with a huge quality loss.
Is that "no" the answer to my question, or are you just raging about something unrelated? I can't tell, but whether or not the JPG pulled from the camera went through one or more editing stages is extremely relevant to this discussion, as JPG images lose quality every time they are edited and saved. That loss of detail is far more problematic than what I understand you to be complaining about.
Anyway, It's well known that consumer grade cameras (which includes all smartphone cameras) generally go for vibrancy and oversaturation rather than color accuracy, because study after study has shown that is what most consumers prefer. I think that may be what you are seeing and complaining about here. Like I said, run it through a tonal filter and see what happens
1) Image quality and accuracy have nothing to do with size or resolution of a picture. Even on a comparison.
DNG is a lossless file format, while JPG is a lossy format. What do you think is being sacrificed (lost) in exchange for smaller file sizes? Any chance that might have an effect on image quality and accuracy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa