Why doesn't my WP8.1 Lumia sync my Bing Map Places to itself?

rollob

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
WP8.1 Lumia doesn't sync my Bing Map Places to itself

WP8.1 Lumia 925 doesn't sync my Bing Map Places into itself. My settings indicate ON to Synchronize my Place yet there is nothing in my "Favorite Places."

I created them in a browser and also imported my Google Earth KLM file which it displays in a browser but nothing on the phone. I gave it a day to sync.
Thanks
Rollo

Last edited:

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: WP8.1 Lumia doesn't sync my Bing Map Places to itself

Is there bing maps on wp8.1 . Because I think you're talking about Nokia's HERE MAPS. Maybe that's the problem ???

rollob

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site

Thanks Azurus. "Maps" by Microsoft is always present on WP8 but Nokia hides it on their phones! . You have to install an app to make it accessible again, which I did. I'm told that I am not allowed to post the URL to teh app but here is the blurb from the Publisher: "Bring back the first party Bing Maps app to your Nokia Lumia! This is a launcher for Windows Phone stock Maps app. Why do we need this? That's because Nokia removes the Bing Maps launcher from all Lumia phones and replaces it with the HERE Maps app. This app will get us back the Microsoft designed Maps app with the stock Maps icon."

Last edited:

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site

Thanks Azurus. "Maps" by Microsoft is always present on WP8 but Nokia hides it on their phones! . You have to install an app to make it accessible again, which I did. I'm told that I am not allowed to post the URL to teh app but here is the blurb from the Publisher: "Bring back the first party Bing Maps app to your Nokia Lumia! This is a launcher for Windows Phone stock Maps app. Why do we need this? That's because Nokia removes the Bing Maps launcher from all Lumia phones and replaces it with the HERE Maps app. This app will get us back the Microsoft designed Maps app with the stock Maps icon."

I never knew that :eek: . What's the name of the app you used to reinstall Bing Maps ?

rollob

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site

There are a couple apps called "Maps" but look for the one with this quote: "Bring back the first party Bing Maps app to your Nokia Lumia! This is a launcher for Windows Phone stock Maps app. Why do we need this? That's because Nokia removes the Bing Maps launcher from all Lumia phones and replaces it with the HERE Maps app."

rollob

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site

This web site handles my posts in a very peculiar way in Firefox so I will post my reply again---
There are a few Called "Maps" but choose the one with this quote: "Bring back the first party Bing Maps app to your Nokia Lumia! This is a launcher for Windows Phone stock Maps app. Why do we need this? That's because Nokia removes the Bing Maps launcher from all Lumia phones and replaces it with the HERE Maps app."

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site

On my Lumia 822 with DP 8.1 Maps is under M in the apps list. Here Drive and Maps show up under H. It's working for me and syncing as well.

BataBole

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site

On my Lumia 822 with DP 8.1 Maps is under M in the apps list. Here Drive and Maps show up under H. It's working for me and syncing as well.

There's an Lumia 822? :D Gee gosh.. almost forgot it even exists XD

rollob

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site

Interesting, my "M" had no such icon-shortcut and it required an external app to make one!

rollob

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site

I don't know what a DP version is. For all I know I'm running the official WP8.1

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I meant the developer preview. Because I'm on Verizon and they won't release the "official" 8.1 all we can get is the developer preview without the Cyan firmware. I'm guessing that maybe Maps isn't in the "official" release and that's why it shows up on my device and not yours. That's pure speculation on my part though.

Scott Leonard

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site

Are you talking about the "My Saved Places" that you find by going to bing dot com/maps in a browser? That is different than the "Favorite Places" you find in the Bing maps on Windows Phone. They don't sync with each other. They should though.

rollob

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site

Scott
I think you may have it. I am trying to sync "My Places" in a Browser with "Favorite Places" on a WP8.1 phone . And of course I agree that they should sync but if you are right that they currently can't - then you have actually answered my question!

Antchexec

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
And just FYI...I have a Lumia 830 - with Denim, of course - and these still do not sync; for all those harbouring thoughts they may, when that update comes through. With Cortana only referencing places in Bing Maps on the phone, this has really detracted from the excellent SatNav experience of previous OSs.

I used to collect all my places solely in Google Earth, and had to start doing it in both GE and Here Maps, so that they would sync with the phone. Though slightly irritating, at least I could plan out a whole host of placemarks on the PC, in preparation for trips I was about to make, knowing they would appear in Here on my phone. Obviously, I can (and do) still do this, but it would be useful to be able to ask Cortana to get me directions to these various places, and have other traffic info from 'her' in advance etc. Also, if I search for any places using Cortana, they appear on a different map to my Here placemarks, so one has to flick between the two.

This is annoying, particularly since I could easily export GE places to Bing and do away with using the Here web-based maps. Ideally, Bing maps and Here Maps would reference the same placemarks, which would solve all the problems in one fell swoop. I am led to believe that different users have different viewpoints (particularly based on location), but in my experience, the actual maps in Here are far better for me, for some reason (throughout Europe and the Far East), than Bing Maps (though I'm informed they use the same data). Either way, using a common set of placemarks would enable users (and Cortana) to pick whichever app they favour for a particular job.

Scott Leonard

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
This is my biggest gripe of WP8.1!

MS made Bing maps highly integrated with the phone (tapping an address in an email, text, contact or in the notes of a calendar appointment or asking Cortana directions opens Bing Maps. Cortana also only sees the Bing Maps Favorite Places) but otherwise crippled it by removing voice navigation and giving it a so-so feature set and did so for the sake of 3rd party maps. But, 3rd party maps won't integrate like Bing Maps.

I have read that Here Maps (Nokia) and Bing maps have been merged on the backend. Here's hoping that the front ends get merged for 8.2 and it comes with Here Maps, Drive+ and Transit fully integrated into the phone under the Microsoft/Windows Phone/Bing name.

Donald Simard

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
if anyone has a large Favorites list in the Google ecosystem, they will be quite disappointed in failed attempts to bring them into the Microsoft ecosystem. I can import into Bing.com/maps but that will NOT sync with Maps on my Surface Pro 3 nor my Windows phone and neither of those applications have an obvious way to import map data into them.

This seems a no brainer when you have the resources Microsoft has and their desire to move people from Android and IOS to the MS platform. If I had known this was an issue, I probably would not have purchased my 1st Window Phone and instead stayed with the Android system.

Any clue IF this will be addressed or should I just resort to manually transfer the locations into MS programs -- I thought computers were better equipped to do such routine stuff

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
While I'm glad I finally found this thread because I was trying to set up places using a computer for "My Places" for Cortana to use, I'm very disappointed to see that won't work. I really hope Microsoft fixes this (although in the support area of microsoft.com, there was a person with WP7 in 2012 asking how to sync, only to have them come back years later with WP8 and still no sync in Bing Maps).

As much of a WP fan as I am, the maps situation is very frustrating. Certainly not enough to change OS of course, but it's not really something to tout. It was bad enough that Nokia users basically had two map systems, contacts and searches on bing opened in the 'hidden' Maps app, while Here was the 'native' maps app, but now that Cortana uses Maps, and not a choice of either Maps or Here, it sucks that all my saved locations are in Here, not Bing. But, it sounds like it wouldn't matter anyway since bing doesn't sync. It's like bing exists in it's own little world separate from the rest of Microsoft services.

I guess we just need to suggest and suggest and suggest this get fixed. Of course, Cortana is still Beta, but I think Bing Maps syncing between phone and bing.com/maps should have happened LONG ago (like in the days of WP7). For now, I'm keeping Here Maps and I'll just add to My Places as needed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss