Why do I have grey thumbnails instead of photos?

fairyjo

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
Grey thumbnails instead of photos

Hello,

Since about two week my phone records the pictures but very shortly after it replaces them with grey thumbnails. When I want to open the grey thumbnail it says "Can't get picture. Try again later." But the picture never comes back and they are corrupt when uploaded to OneDrive as I also cannot open them on my computer.

I have a Nokia Lumia 720 with Windows Phone 8.1 (8.10.12393.890) and the Lumia Cyan update. Localization is Switzerland and I tweaked the settings to be able to use Cortana.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I think this happened when I switched the place where I want to install apps in Storage Sense, I now install apps on the SD card and I moved 5 apps to the SD card too. I tried switching back to phone but it does not solve the problem.

Any idea what happened and how to fix it? Help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot,
Joanie

fairyjo

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
Hello, it's been almost a week and I can't see any reply. Is this thread wrongly posted in WP 8.1 forum? Any help is appreciated. Thanks for your consideration, Joanie

dozer167a

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Hello, it's been almost a week and I can't see any reply. Is this thread wrongly posted in WP 8.1 forum? Any help is appreciated. Thanks for your consideration, Joanie
I don't really know all the causes of this error arising, other than to say, when the same thing happened to me on my Lumia 1520 I found out that my SD card was corrupt.
I transfered every thing on my SD card back into the phone memory, then reformatted my SD card, though after a couple of weeks or so, after transferring every thing back to my SD card the same issue cropped up again.
I downloaded software to my pc call H2testw which is free, which checks the integrity of SD cards. The results where startling, my purchased 64GB Samsung EVO card turned out to be a "FAKE".
The 64GB card showed a true capacity of only 8GB. Unscrupulous sellers sell these fake cards with over inflated capacity. You purchase the card, place it in your phone and it shows the false over inflated capacity ie 32gb, 64gb, so you think alls well. It's only when you reach near to the real capacity of these fake cards that you get errors thrown back at you, or the dreaded message There is a problem with your SD Card please scan to fix errors, which can't fix the issue, because the over inflated memory doesn't exist. I purchased a NEW SD card from a reputable source, ran H2testw and it passed with flying colours, matching the detected memory with the real memory available. So I would suspect your SD card may be the cause for this error you have. Since replacing my SD card with a new one, this issue touch wood, hasn't arisen again. Check it out, and see if it helps. Regards.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte