I need a new phone....

Chase Kolozsi

May 28, 2014
Visit site
So I need a new phone by the 15th and I think I want to stay with Windows Phone, but I want to make sure it is cost effective and that the new model I am getting satisfies what I want. These are the top things I am looking for in a new phone:

- I have a Lumia 1020 so that new phone has to have a killer camera.
- I want my bill to hover around $50 a month (just me on this new plan) and I use a lot of data but not a lot of minutes to call. I live in California and am currently using AT&T but I don't mind switching to a new carrier at all.
- I would like wireless charging but it's not a biggie if it's not there.
- I want a sleek looking phone and prefer (for lack of a better term) a "boxy" aesthetic rather than the ones that look like Blackberry phones.

Let me know which model you think I should look at when it comes to a Windows Phone. I was thinking about going back to the iPhone but Android is definitely a no go. I'm thinking of the Verizon Lumia Icon. Thoughts?

Last edited:

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi Chase,

Welcome to the forum. You said you have a 1020 now. What country do you live in and which carrier do you use? That will help others suggest the best option for you.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No recent phone will kill the 1020's camera.
The 1520 and 930 are still powerful with nice 20 MP snappers on the back.

I recommend Straight Talk with their $45/month prepaid stuff, although I'm sure competition has improved since.

So I'd say the Icon or 930, depending on band compatibility.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Straight Talk with an AT&T compatible SIM, as xandros suggests, is certainly a very likely best fit for you.

Another option to consider for a reduced bill each month would be Page Plus Cellular - an mvno (reseller) of Verizon airtime. Last I heard they will activate Verizon devices onto their network and that would open up the Icon as a choice for you. You would have to contact them to see if they still do this. I'm unable to find that on their website today.

If you locate a 1520.3 it will use AT&T or T-MoUS towers with no problems. You would get fastest data available in your location from either. If a 6" screen doesn't deter you. IMHO, 1520 is the most powerful and best all-around Windows Phone on the market today. However, as Msft failed to announce a new flagship this Autumn, sales of 1520.3 have put pressure on the supply and you might not get one by the 15th.

Nokia Lumia 1520 RM-938 32GB Smartphone A00016720 B&H Photo

You could try an Unlocked 735 as a hold-over device to get you through the next 6 months. There may be something new announced this spring.

Nokia Lumia 735 RM-1039 8GB Smartphone A00021694 B&H Photo Video

Chase Kolozsi

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I think I might give this Straight Talk thing a try with my 1020 and wait until a new flagship comes out (hopefully the rumored 1030) that way I don't have a contract and can just get the new hot thing when it comes out rather than having to downgrade (although the Icon is tempting but Verizon is kind of expensive).

Can anyone vouch for the service (Straight Talk)?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you don't mind doing the self service thing and being your own trouble shooter. Overall I enjoyed my time on ST.

BTW... At 3GB high speed data each month (EDGE after that), they do seem to have the most high speed data for the price. I've been shopping around again and may be moving back to ST next month from T-Mo. I like the T-Mo service, I just need better coverage out in the country where I frequently visit.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My sister has a Lumia 521 on ST, works well enough for her.

Took some fiddling to get it going (getting the right APN settings) initially, but works like a charm now. Only complaints are the speed (or lack of) and camera on the phone, which doesn't reflect the service anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos