Setting up a phone for a kid?

RossJG

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I just got the Lumia 520 for 29.99 on Amazon to be a combination A) my backup phone and B) a phone that my daughter can use (without a plan on it) unless/until my 920 dies or my wife's phone dies. She's 5, and it seems like the 520 plus a $12.99 32gb MicroSD can basically function like an iPod touch for her, only for like 85% less money.

So now I'm thinking maybe I can set up Skype for her so she can Skype family members (over wifi, and can tether off my phone even when we're out), and obviously she can use Netflix for kid shows... anyone have any other suggestions for apps/things I could run on a 520 that are good for kids her age?

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I just got the Lumia 520 for 29.99 on Amazon to be a combination A) my backup phone and B) a phone that my daughter can use (without a plan on it) unless/until my 920 dies or my wife's phone dies. She's 5, and it seems like the 520 plus a $12.99 32gb MicroSD can basically function like an iPod touch for her, only for like 85% less money.

So now I'm thinking maybe I can set up Skype for her so she can Skype family members (over wifi, and can tether off my phone even when we're out), and obviously she can use Netflix for kid shows... anyone have any other suggestions for apps/things I could run on a 520 that are good for kids her age?

Well, there's definitely tons of kid friendly games in the store. And don't forget to enable Kids Corner where you should pin all the apps you want your daughter to have access to.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I just set a phone up for my daughter, she is a bit older (9 yo) but Microsoft has some really good family safety tools available that you manage online so they cannot hack the phone (when she gets older) etc. You can restrict the age range using the ersb ratings system from the app store, restrict her from purchasing apps / downloading free ones etc. They do have to have their own Microsoft account though that is setup on the phone. I set my daughters and my sons emails up with outlook just after they were born lol. my son who is only 10 mo. old is getting weekly pictures of himself so when he gets a bit older and starts using it can see pictures of when he was a baby

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Don't let children play on phones. It damages their eyes and they won't study. Playing games at a young age will have damaging consequences...

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Don't let children play on phones. It damages their eyes and they won't study. Playing games at a young age will have damaging consequences...

If your a parent and limit time spent playing your fine. My daughter has one for safety reasons as well as a boredom tool during long road trips etc. I started playing on a computer with an orange and black monochrome screen when I was 5, I learned to type before I learned to write. I have been playing computer and mobile device games for a VERY long time, no ill has come to me or my brothers. I have had 20/20 vision up until last year due to age. The studies seem to go back and forth every year. The last with video games is that it is good for developing good eye hand coordination, and critical thinking skills.

RossJG

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

One of the things I was thinking of was games that teach kids basic coding concepts... I know there are some out there, not sure if any exist on the Windows Phone platform yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos