Denim or not on preview for developers

egold70

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Hello, after reading a lot about regions with Denim firmware available I checked for updates on my Lumia 925(France CV) with latest PFD and there was nothing available.
Surprisingly Navifirm welcomed me with "new software available for your phone" message, the new build was a "1" step up from the previous 3051.50009.1424.0009 up to....0010
I checked again but still no update was there, then disabled PFD and the update started to download fast, it was a small update and as expected only "Lumia update for windows phone", finished the update process in couple minutes an a restart was required
After the restart a welcome system message popped up stating "welcome to Denim", I thought "really?" but checked extras+info which showed this
wp_ss_20141220_0001.png
Confirmed Denim with new RAM count I enabled again PFD and let the phone check again for updates, it took more than 10! minutes but nothing was found. Some time later went again into the settings and hit extras+info, this is what it showed
wp_ss_20141220_0002.png
So I checked and double checked this again, my conclusion is simple: enabling the PFD in some way is causing extras+info to show false Cyan firmware, this is not the famous extras+info bug because every time when PFD is disabled it shows a "firm" Denim, also after today`s update the extras+info also received update
Is anyone else experiencing the same behavior and what is the meaning of this? Are we supposed to disable PFD from now on in order to use Denim or is it still some sort of bug(a new one?)

estabien

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I am experiencing the same behaviour on my Lumia 635.
However, I am 99.9% positive that it's simply an error, because the firmware revision number hasn't changed from the Cyan number and I know that the 635 in particular doesn't have the update.

(and by this, I'm speaking of Denim. I feel like we are running Cyan and the Denim is just a glitch of sorts)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

egold70

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
That was my point: I had to turn PFD off in order to see the new update and there was system message after install/restart that clearly said "Welcome to Denim", when tapped on that message a web page with Denim explanations opened
Although I am aware of MS software page still showing Cyan as latest for France CV the above in my opinion points that this is the actual Denim update
BTW It is really strange that the firmware build number hasn't changed but the build date is 18/11/2014

egold70

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
RumoredNow, As I mentioned in my first post this is not the "known" extras+info bug which returned to cyan after reopening the app or restart
After today`s firmware appeared new extras+info update(was not available before the update), version 3.13.2.34 and new Play to update(also not available before), there is a new info showing the RAM amount which wasn't there in any previous firmware including 3 Cyan versions
Now there is always Denim within extras+info despite reopen or restart, the only "way" to convince it to show Cyan is to enable PFD and it stays that way unless PFD is disabled
With all that said I am positive that this is Denim and the return to Cyan with PFD is the bug

dimatador

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Yuuuuup the same here! I enable pfd and I see lumia black on the extra info app. Disabled pfd than check the extra info app n wuala I see denim update on the info.so what up with that?

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
RumoredNow, As I mentioned in my first post this is not the "known" extras+info bug which returned to cyan after reopening the app or restart
After today`s firmware appeared new extras+info update(was not available before the update), version 3.13.2.34 and new Play to update(also not available before), there is a new info showing the RAM amount which wasn't there in any previous firmware including 3 Cyan versions
Now there is always Denim within extras+info despite reopen or restart, the only "way" to convince it to show Cyan is to enable PFD and it stays that way unless PFD is disabled
With all that said I am positive that this is Denim and the return to Cyan with PFD is the bug
@RumoredNow, I think he's on to something. Perhaps return to Cyan was ALWAYS the bug

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Many users on P4D are toggling off and on and seeing this. You either have Denim or not.

I'm on Official 8.1 + Cyan... There was a push to update Extras + Info for all users and now I see the RAM, but not Denim.

The old bug mutated with the newest update. How else do you not have Denim always (P4D on or off)? No French Lumia 925s are reported as being ready to download Denim... So by Occam's Razor it is a bug, not Denim sorta maybe kinda depends on how or when you look at it 'cause I wish I hope I really really want Denim in the face of all evidence that Denim is not ready for my device by region/country/model...

egold70

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
It is my opinion also but such small firmware number change and same core build are both pointing to almost no change between Cyan and Denim for our older phones, except the name maybe :smile:

egold70

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Many users on P4D are toggling off and on and seeing this. You either have Denim or not.

I'm on Official 8.1 + Cyan... There was a push to update Extras + Info for all users and now I see the RAM, but not Denim.

The old bug mutated with the newest update. How else do you not have Denim always (P4D on or off)?

Maybe I am not explaining myself well, It is always Denim since the boot from restart, the OS prompt saying "welcome to Denim" confirms that, the build date confirms that, the extras+info and play to update only after firmware install confirms that
The only time it states back Cyan is when PFD is enabled, hence this is the bug, maybe a PFD app update is needed

4 fun

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
The same here at US, Lumia 1520 ... Disabling P4D shows Lumia Denim... It's just a bug... I haven't downloaded any update yet, what is pretty frustrating 'cause I don't see them a reason to have it, so far I have got everything before carrier OTA update, that's why I use P4D from the beginning... Nothing here in US... Why???...

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

The old bug mutated with the newest update. How else do you not have Denim always (P4D on or off)? No French Lumia 925s are reported as being ready to download Denim... So by Occam's Razor it is a bug, not Denim sorta maybe kinda depends on how or when you look at it 'cause I wish I hope I really really want Denim in the face of all evidence that Denim is not ready for my device by region/country/model...
No that's not it at all. Let me explain. Theory is that for some devices, as there is no firmware for Denim(you can confirm this by checking the website or using a Denimdevice like the 625 or 520), extras + info checks via OS version. Hence why Denim is the reported firmware version.

egold70

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
The same here at US, Lumia 1520 ... Disabling P4D shows Lumia Denim... It's just a bug... I haven't downloaded any update yet, what is pretty frustrating 'cause I don't see them a reason to have it, so far I have got everything before carrier OTA update, that's why I use P4D from the beginning... Nothing here in US... Why???...

Probably a bug for you but I've installed newer firmware today which rendered "Welcome to Denim" system message and is dated late November, previously there were 3 or 4 different Cyan firmware builds for my phone, so... as said I do believe at least in my case this is Denim, I had to disable Preview in order to get it

egold70

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I can add one more point in favor of having Denim but no Cyan, the firmware apps versions are identical to that on pictures on phones confirmed with Denim on other posts here, for example the latest ICYMI article

egold70

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Except the firmware installed has build date 18/11/2014 and if it`s still Cyan it is the fifth cyan firmware build, does this make any sense? My phone was between the first to receive Cyan back in June so can we conclude they are releasing yet another Cyan build for the same model/country 6 months later? Nah, I refuse to believe that
Anyhow, we shall wait and see where it ends, BTW MS`s site still says it is Cyan...

jpzaremba

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
So here's a curve ball to all of this. I experienced same issue on TMO US Lumia 635 RM-975 and like others can toggle PFD and see Denim or Cyan in Extra+info with exact same versions. But I also have unlocked new 735 RM-1079 and guess what. It shows Denim with the exact same versions.

WP_20141221_12_43_08_Pro.jpgWP_20141221_12_44_05_Pro.jpg

wp_20141221_13_21_29_pro.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20141221_12_43_59_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141221_12_43_59_Pro.jpg
    573.8 KB · Views: 8

4 fun

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Anyone knows if MSFT has a respond for this bug or a solution soon than later? Please Windows central take matter on this!....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte