Lets get the Snapchat situation trending

Ryan ODonnell

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
5 strikes then you're out! I was told by CEO of Snapchat my account was locked 4 times for using a third party application and then the fifth time, a permanent ban comes in place.

Last edited:

UchilHasmit

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
It cost close to 100 grand to create a mobile app. There just isn't enough motivation for them to create one for WP. I am an avid WP user, I love the platform. But sadly I think it isn't going to survive. Carriers, Devs and mobile users aren't buying into the platform. Sad really

If they could just collab with Rudy.. That'd be a win-win won't it? Won't cost them 100 grand anymore! And any number of new users no matter how few is only good for their service.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Maybe MS competitor pull some string in this case so that's not gonna happen

Could be I guess, but that's not a likely scenario.

I do have this question though: is there any reason for Snapchat to have a beef with Windows Phone? I can certainly understand a direct competitor such as Google doing something like this, but Snapchat should be totally platform agnostic. What do they care which platform their users are on, as long as they're using Snapchat? I don't get it.

I would think that maybe Snapchat is not providing a WP app due to technical issues, but 6snap was great, and seemed to work fine. This fact debunks that theory. Not enough users? Maybe, but taking into consideration that Snapchat has 100 million (probably more by now) active monthly users, there should be at least 3 million WP users, using WP's 3% worldwide market share to calculate. So what's the reason?

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Could be I guess, but that's not a likely scenario.

I do have this question though: is there any reason for Snapchat to have a beef with Windows Phone? I can certainly understand a direct competitor such as Google doing something like this, but Snapchat should be totally platform agnostic. What do they care which platform their users are on, as long as they're using Snapchat? I don't get it.

I would think that maybe Snapchat is not providing a WP app due to technical issues, but 6snap was great, and seemed to work fine. This fact debunks that theory. Not enough users? Maybe, but taking into consideration that Snapchat has 100 million (probably more by now) active monthly users, there should be at least 3 million WP users, using WP's 3% worldwide market share to calculate. So what's the reason?

Money! I can't think any other than that

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Money! I can't think any other than that

Which would mean that there are not enough users. So we're back to market share, the same argument everyone else uses.

That said, pretty much every business decision made in every business stems back to money, somehow. :wink:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Which would mean that there are not enough users. So we're back to market share, the same argument everyone else uses.

That said, pretty much every business decision made in every business stems back to money, somehow. :wink:

Doubt it...
AFAIK they intend to accumulate as many users as possible with the intention of eventually selling to FB&Co for a few billion. They are currently financed by millions in venture capital, so not even on iOS or Android is the size of the user base that important, as the users are not their source of money. Considering that Snapchat is, technically at least, a rather trivial app, it's hard to see why they wouldn't provide one for WP. A good WP developer could put a Snapchat client together in two or three months... tops. Heck Snapchat could even designate 6snap as their official app and be done with it... no work and no investments required. For all those reasons, the "too little market share" argument just doesn't fly here.
I'd be far more willing to believe in business related concerns, like them wanting MS to invest 20 million in return for their "cooperation".

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Doubt it...
AFAIK they intend to accumulate as many users as possible with the intention of eventually selling to FB&Co for a few billion. They are currently financed by millions in venture capital, so not even on iOS or Android is the size of the user base that important, as the users are not their source of money. Considering that Snapchat is, technically at least, a rather trivial app, it's hard to see why they wouldn't provide one for WP. A good WP developer could put a Snapchat client together in two or three months... tops. Heck Snapchat could even designate 6snap as their official app and be done with it... no work and no investments required. For all those reasons, the "too little market share" argument just doesn't fly here.
I'd be far more willing to believe in business related concerns, like them wanting MS to invest 20 million in return for their "cooperation".

OK that makes sense. I suppose that the number of WP users is few enough that it's worth it to Snapchat to hold out for a payout. Not to mention, Microsoft has paid (bribes!) for other apps, so there is a precedent.

lrn2board

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: Please go sign the snapchat petition

I say screw snap chat, if they want to be assholes and remove third party apps for an OS that doesn't even have their official one, I say good riddance! Cyber dust is better anyway and is available, officially, on all OS systems!

UchilHasmit

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site

I say screw snap chat, if they want to be assholes and remove third party apps for an OS that doesn't even have their official one, I say good riddance! Cyber dust is better anyway and is available, officially, on all OS systems!

But its difficult getting frnds to screw it too just bcoz one of their frnds(me) is no longer using it.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

It's important to support the cause because snapchat it's a must have app for many people, specially teens in the US.

Okay, now that's disturbing. I was actually hoping it was being used by consenting adults. This sounds like a service that encourages illegal behavior. Now I KNOW people are taking screen shots of the snaps and forwarding them to the internet. Every teen boy would just for bragging rights to his friends.

Now I've got more than just abstinence to talk to my daughters about, there's this sort of behavior before I'll ever let them have a phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers