Lets get the Snapchat situation trending

UchilHasmit

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Actually, I wouldn't worry about the beloved platform losing potential adopters due to this stupid app, as you put it. Since most snapchat users are teenagers, and since it's mostly parents that buy the phones for those teenagers, we just need to educate the parents on the dangers of snapchat, and let them know they can't use it on Windows Phone, and parents will be lining up to purchase Windows Phones for their teens and just not give the poor kids a choice. Then teach the parents about other features where the kids can't use the phone to buy apps without the parents password, etc.

Parents would love that. Probably enough to switch the whole family once the exposure starts hitting.
But I believe that this app not being there would further strengthen the arguments of those saying that the platform has absolutely no apps. And parents are only the sponsors .. Final decision always rests with the teens.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Please go sign the snapchat petition

By the way, don't badger Windows Central about this. They aren't going to publish anything about it:

I agree that they wont publish anything about it BUT I don't agree that they don't care. If they don't, they wouldn't be bothered by WP's third party clients.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Sweet! There was an old petition that reached 10,000 a year or so ago and nothing has been done. I still hope this reaches enough people to get an app made soon.

I don't think it will :'( a man can dream though, a man can dream.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

There was an old petition that reached 10,000 a year or so ago and nothing has been done.

This would probably make another one. It was reported in August 2014 that Snapchat had 100 million active monthly users. Use WP's current market share of 3% as a basis, 3 million of them would have been WP users. So, Snapchat just drops 3 million users. Do you think they'll pay attention to 10,000 signatures?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

Yeah, but kids would hate that. I'm 15, so I still consider I am, and needing a password to download apps would make me go insane. I would hate Windows Phone (and then would never approach the Platform when I could actually get a wp from my own will). Plus, everyone says that snapchat is really dangerous, but when I could still have it (before 6snap was pulled), I used it for perfectely honest stuff, and I don't know anyone that used it for "unsafe" stuff.
So exactly what do you use it for, if not for unsafe stuff? Can I get an example of the usage? A hypothetical reason? I can't imagine why a self-destruct is needed if it isn't something "unsafe", unless it's a CIA communication.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

^ I think the major draw is that it allows for a more conversational/ephemeral way of communicating. These transient exchanges allow folks to be as brainless, stupid and/or mundane as they want to be, without having to worry about negative consequences. Because everything is expected to disappear within seconds, you always have at least some "deniability", or so users believe (and perception is reality, even if it isn't).
Yes, that sounds negative, mainly because I'm not a fan of the junk communication Snapchat is most often used for. Still, as a counter-reaction to everyone being able to record what you say on the phone, or forums like this where every post becomes a permanent part of your online record... I completely understand the appeal.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

Okay, a5cent, so what you're saying, is that they may be using it for things like: "OMG! That science teacher is such a **** imbecile!"

While not illegal, such a comment would not be wise to be published in a permanent nature where that teacher may actually find out about it.

Still, it encourages bad behavior. When we know what we say is going on permanent record, we are more likely to be more careful choosing our words.

Thank you for helping me to understand it. I suppose I can see the appeal that teens may have for it in those instances. Though I would discourage such uses with my children.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

This would probably make another one. It was reported in August 2014 that Snapchat had 100 million active monthly users. Use WP's current market share of 3% as a basis, 3 million of them would have been WP users. So, Snapchat just drops 3 million users. Do you think they'll pay attention to 10,000 signatures?

Yeah... 10K signatures is nothing when compared to their userbase. No offence, but it really is laughable.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Yeah... 10K signatures is nothing when compared to their userbase. No offence, but it really is laughable.

Agreed. I'm just going to start referring people to iOS or Android both are great and that's what I plan on doing as soon as I'm a bit more financially stable. I've been around the consumer smartphone market since it began enough to know that WP is a lost cause. It's an amazing operating system but without the latest apps it honestly feels like an incomplete mobile experience, or; a glorified feature phone really.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

I've been around the consumer smartphone market since it began enough to know that WP is a lost cause.

I wouldn't call WP a lost cause. Some people feel that WP's advantages outweigh the disadvantages, but others feel exactly the opposite. You must be one of the latter. No platform has it all. However, if Snapchat is an important part of your experience, then I agree that you have no choice.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

I wouldn't call WP a lost cause. Some people feel that WP's advantages outweigh the disadvantages, but others feel exactly the opposite. You must be one of the latter. No platform has it all. However, if Snapchat is an important part of your experience, then I agree that you have no choice.

I still wish for the opposite however. I wish Microsoft would just dig into their war chest and close the app gap already. They don't care about Windows Phone though. Any product they truly want to back, ends up getting a blank check (see Xbox's history)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb