Anyone have a Fire TV/Stick?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I recently got mine and its pretty awesome. It's super fast and at $20 for Prime members, I couldn't pass it up.

One cool thing that I've found is that you can sideload apps (see more here: Sideload FireTV ), and I sideloaded OneDrive and VLC, uploaded my entire video collection and now I've got my own little free version of Plex.

Does anyone else have one?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I have one. At $19 I couldn't pass it up. I thought I might use it to cast my screen (Android), but it turns out I rarely do that. It's great just having access to my Amazon Prime content, no PC or mobile device needed!

Jose_Rey

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Yup, I have one(Fire TV). With it, I have learned to harness the power of XBMC. Didn't know anything about it, til I got a Fire TV.

Silence#WP

Dec 21, 2008
Visit site
I couldn't pass on the Prime pricing either and also purchased one. I have yet to use it though. I have a computer, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and a PS3 hooked up to my (only) TV so I don't see a need for it yet. I'll probably end up gifting it to a friend. Thanks for the sideloading tip. I didn't know that was possible.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I'll probably end up gifting it to a friend.

One tip; if you gift it, hook it up first and remove your Amazon account information. When you buy them from Amazon they come preloaded with your account. You don't even have to enter your password.

Silence#WP

Dec 21, 2008
Visit site
One tip; if you gift it, hook it up first and remove your Amazon account information. When you buy them from Amazon they come preloaded with your account. You don't even have to enter your password.

I completely forgot about that! They did the same thing when I bought a Kindle Fire Tablet. Thanks for the reminder!

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

It's also worth doing this since it means that your friend doesn't have to watch that dumb 5 minute long video lol.

And you're right about the setup. It's the most simple streaming stick to sign up for. You just sign into your wifi, then hit enter.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It's also worth doing this since it means that your friend doesn't have to watch that dumb 5 minute long video lol.

And you're right about the setup. It's the most simple streaming stick to sign up for. You just sign into your wifi, then hit enter.
Mine also took an abominable amount of time installing updates!

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Mine also took an abominable amount of time installing updates!

Did you plug it into the TV or into an outlet? I plugged mine into an outlet behind my TV and it only took like 30 seconds.

I decided to plug mine into an outlet so it wouldn't have to restart every time I turned the TV off and it'll automatically update when you're not using it.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Did you plug it into the TV or into an outlet? I plugged mine into an outlet behind my TV and it only took like 30 seconds.

I use a regular LCD with HDMI input. That's what I plugged it into. It took probably 15 minutes from the time it started installing updates until it was ready to go. I haven't seen it update since then.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I use a regular LCD with HDMI input. That's what I plugged it into. It took probably 15 minutes from the time it started installing updates until it was ready to go. I haven't seen it update since then.

That makes sense. The amount of power that the processor outputs is significantly reduced when its plugged into the TV compared to an outlet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium