Switching from iPhone 6 to Windows Phone...

Hypnopottamus

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
The OP said that they use SP3's. Getting a WP would only supplement that. As several have stated, Office integration is rock solid on WP. Having Lync, SharePoint, Office 360, and even basic MS AX is pretty cool. Yes, Office is better on iPhone, but lets be honest. No serious business will try to write a full fledged document on a mobile device (that's what having a SP3 like the OP said is for). As long as basic editing and reading is there, WP is a good choice.

As far as what device to choose; If you want a good budget phone, try the Lumia 630/635. If you want a higher end device, try the Lumia 930 or 830. If you want a big screen like the iPhone 6+, try the Lumia 1520 (or Lumia 1320 if cost is an issue).

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Don't listen to the m, I'm a windows ****** and I say wait for windows 10, stay with your iPhone 6. Or even switch to an android. Windows is in a mess right now.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Don't listen to the m, I'm a windows ****** and I say wait for windows 10, stay with your iPhone 6. Or even switch to an android. Windows is in a mess right now.

A mess? In your opinion maybe. I could line up a lot of people with a different opinion.

Opinions, like a holes I say... We all got one

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Yes, but those are all future promises. MS, Apple and Google tend to leap frog one another but it feels like MS is always the one trying to catch up.

As of now iOS has better MS product integration, more functional camera and video, supports airprint and airplay (mirrorcast f'ing sucks horribly in comparison), has the best messaging (to other Apple devices), better styled hardware, better support. As far as mapping and navigation go iOS wins as you can use google and the native app. Google services are just about non-existent on the platform. I also can't find any working remote apps for any of my home devices. I say all this being a MS ****** :).

I'm holding out for WP10 but the wait for Denim is bad enough.

In the end I think Microsoft's strategy to work everywhere will be a win for them. I just hope they don't neglect their own ecosystem in the process. It should at least be slightly better on their own platform.

I agree, IOS and Android have a lead on MS. But, don't they have a few years head start as well. As for promises, I only stated what has been posted here and other places so it's not something I made up.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Hang on to your 6 and get a Windows Phone next year. The latest flagship is a year old already. I'm not saying that they're not great, my 1520 is so awesome right now but I'd rather you get a Windows Phone device next year than today.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Hang on to your 6 and get a Windows Phone next year. The latest flagship is a year old already. I'm not saying that they're not great, my 1520 is so awesome right now but I'd rather you get a Windows Phone device next year than today.

OP said he didn't care if it was a flagship.... Again, how is this relevant?

ByeVanno

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
If you want to migrate the Lumia 635 seems to be your phone maybe a few 1320 because of their size but I don't see the point in migrating over when you have iphone 6 already for your team(unless I misunderstood) because its already capable of pretty much all you need

Andre-Omari John

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't know of any os that is 100% seamless across a large range of devices or is without any frustration - do you?

However I can tell you that in the year or so since we moved to windows phone my experience has been the exact opposite of yours - rarely ever have any resuming of more than a second or two, and have never had the phone shut down unexpectedly.

Also I use it for work every day and have no problem with accessing my documents or OneNote.

Well no, nothing is perfect. That doesn't mean perfection should not be expected. The degrees of frustration on Windows, (phone, post XP, RT) for me, has become so severe in the last decade. Familiarity is their saving grace. Switching from the simplistic IOS to WP would be an unwelcome shock. No two ways about it.

What I would say to the OP is to get any Lumia (1520, 1320 or 930 preferably) and avoid every other brand like the plague. 4 days from 2015... Who wants to be frustrated with technology anymore, waiting, fuming and so on? Think about it like this: You reckon the important players at Microsoft (or any tech company) deal with the problems that their consumers do?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

OP doesn't want a flagship. Isn't looking for it.

Bologwp

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
WOW, after reading this thread, all I can say is I would recommend WP anytime, but not this website. I read it several times a day and have converted at least 10 people to WP and oh damn, they are happy with them! But there are about 20-30 people here that comment on almost every article and forum topic and they are almost always negative!

OP, listen to the folks that are giving you the good advise, don't bother with the rest. My 2 year old 822 syncs' all of my email and office docs without fail, if this is the way you want to go, you won't be disappointed. It's obvious that you have already checked out the apps you need, I would say 830, 930 or 1520. I'm on Verizon so I will get the Samsung Ativ SE in a couple of weeks only because Verizon doesn't carry the 830.

No, I don't comment on all of the topics or articles, but this one got to me, for some reason WC seems to have the highest percentage of whiners!

Nahuel 1988

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
Well no, nothing is perfect. That doesn't mean perfection should not be expected. The degrees of frustration on Windows, (phone, post XP, RT) for me, has become so severe in the last decade. Familiarity is their saving grace. Switching from the simplistic IOS to WP would be an unwelcome shock. No two ways about it.

What I would say to the OP is to get any Lumia (1520, 1320 or 930 preferably) and avoid every other brand like the plague. 4 days from 2015... Who wants to be frustrated with technology anymore, waiting, fuming and so on? Think about it like this: You reckon the important players at Microsoft (or any tech company) deal with the problems that their consumers do?

Because iOS is so much better? Is the M8 for Windows over a year old? That's a Windows Phone flagship too, you know. And only god knows the trouble I've seen with iOS. Coworker sent a file over Facebook (unprofessional, I know) and it was a nightmare to open it. I had to use a laptop at the end, making the "smart phone" term, useless. I'm not bashing on iPhones, they are good phones for basic needs. But for business or work, not a chance.

bonghy90

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
If you want my two cents: Windows Phone is perhaps the only platform that performs seamlessly on any range of devices. What I would recommend for your choice of work is a Lumia 830. It doesn't have all those over the top specs but truth is, you don't need them, do you?

Please ignore those whiners, they are those type of employees you meet in a company that only know how to take and not how to give. My Lumia 1520 syncs everything perfectly, from OneDrive to OneNote to Office. I use my Lumia 1520 as my daily driver when determining assignments for my students and checking the latest news and not once did it disappoint. The added bonus is the clarity of the documents it takes with its rear camera and that makes sharing easier.

Sure the Office apps are behind its ios counterpart but you have an sp3 for that and Microsoft won't ignore its own platform for long, will it? I'd say go for it and you will be thrilled by what you get. Iphone is no slouch, neither is Windows Phone. People just have to realise that.

Good day.

mcm_ham

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Here's an example of a Microsoft service that is great on Android (I don't know if it's on iPhone because I don't currently have one) but is non existent on Windows Phone: an app called "Microsoft account" takes the code out of 2 factor authentication. Instead of checking your Authenticator app for the code and typing it in, you tap the "Approve" button on the app, and boom you're in. In fact, if the app isn't open you don't even need to open it. A notification pops up in the notification bar and you simply Accept. No muss, no fuss, no need to type a code, which may be expired by the time you get it entered.

You can just hold your finger down on the code in the Authenticator app and select copy to clipboard, then switch back to the browser and paste it in. Not as easy as you describe for Android but easier than typing it in.

Windows Phone and IOS is much more locked down compared to Android for security, so support would need to be built in to the browser. In Windows Phone apps can share data with other apps that have registered for the specified type of data which would allow the Authenticator app to share the code with IE. But IE would then need to enter the code and submit the form, if the form changed it would be broken, and since IE is an OS component not an app you'd have to wait for an OS update to fix it which can take a while leaving users upset. So given all that I don't think you'll see this type of functionality coming to Windows Phone. Instead it wouldn't surprise me if Windows Phone 10 copied Windows 8 behaviour where in IE you're already logged in with your device's Microsoft Account so you don't need to even login.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site

Yazan Abdullah

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
dont switch until 2015 because in the current situation, if you switch you will have:
1-inferior phones due to heavy weight and bulky hardware.
2-you will not be able to connect your phone to your sp3 via bluetooth. i tried transferring a document from wp to my sp3 wirelessly via bluetooth and it never worked.
3-MS experience in iOS is superior than on wp.
4-even if your most used apps are on windows phone, make sure they have the same set of features. chances are: they don't.
otherwise, the sp3 is indeed the best PC that has ever been built and it's a shame that MS has not promoted it as such. MS should have promoted the surface as the best mobile PC, not tablet. but MS has always had a lousy marketing dept. anyways, good luck and enjoy the sp3. it's pretty amazing.