Should I stick to WP? or switch to Android?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortex73

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I haven't seen the 830 perform but I agree Moto G is one of the smoothest Android devices in the market. I just want to see how good it performs after Lollipop since a lot of the Nexus users are reporting drop in performance.
I am personally holding my Nexus 7 on 4.4.4 until 5.0.2 is available on ota.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of Lollipop. Both my Nexus 5 and 2014 Moto X are staying on 4.4.4 for the forseeable future. My N7 is on KitKat too but I don't use it that often compared to my iPad Mini Retina and Dell Venue 8 Pro. I have a Lollipop ROM on my N5 as a secondary with MultiROM, it's pretty and all but I think KitKat is still the best iteration of Android. There's definitely potential there though. For me, KitKat + Xposed framework is perfect.

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Yep it looks great and if it can achieve the potential that Google stated it cld then it will be a proper upgrade to kitkat but at the moment its too buggy and unstable to replace kitkat.

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
But even in background downloading app need to be remained open.(I know I can switch apps but still app is remained open in background)
In Android you can close the app

Is it such a huge problem to not close an app? Closing apps really should be left to WP anyway. It's better at deciding when that is necessary, than you or I are. To me this sounds like stretching to imply a problem where there is none. Possibly you're just used to the the way Android requires users to micromanage app lifecycles, which is the opposite of what you should be doing on WP.
Just to be clear, I do agree that there needs to be some kind of download manager UI though.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
The Action Center could be better, but it's improving. Unlike in Android, you can decide what toggles you want in your Action Center and in the latest 8.1.1 update, you can have more than 4 toggles with more choices on the toggles.

Really?

With Lollipop, whatever features a person toggles the most is what show in the notification shade, It learns from your personal usage. I toggle my wifi hotspot and location setting multiple times a day, so those are always visible to me.(along with bluetooth, wifi, mobile data, auto rotate, airplane mode, and cast screen)

If there was an OS feature that you wanted to use as an example, that shows WP to have an advantage over Android, you picked the wrong thing.

*edit

And something else, when I tap on the wifi toggle on my Android devices, it will simply turn wifi off. When I do the same thing on my Windows Phones, it opens up settings, and then I have to turn the wifi off from there, and then I have to close settings. Why the phone doesn't simply turn off wifi when I hit the toggle is beyond me.

Last edited:

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Is it such a huge problem to not close an app? Closing apps really should be left to WP anyway. It's better at deciding when that is necessary, than you or I are. To me this sounds like stretching to imply a problem where there is none. Possibly you're just used to the the way Android requires users to micromanage app lifecycles, which is the opposite of what you should be doing on WP.
Just to be clear, I do agree that there needs to be some kind of download manager UI though.

I just think it is a waste of resources. I know in WP background app remain in cancel state(or not) but still it use some resource.(specially if app is UC browser)

If WP team add a download manger in W10 that would be an awesome ground breaking feature.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I have been using Nokia Lumia 925 since more than one and half year which now runs WP 8.1 (Lumia Cyan). Recently I purchased Lumia 730 too, which runs WP8.1 (Lumia Denim). Here are few thoughts I would like to share when I compare them both with my age old Nokia N8 (Symbian Belle) and latest Moto G2 (Android one), both I own and use.

Day by day I am being convinced that it isn?t worth a wait for MS to release updates for WP platform. I don?t see WP 8 going anywhere from the date I first used it. Of course there are certain welcome updates like action center, more customization and changes for VPN etc. But as a common user, what I and people around me use most are the exactly same as 18 months before. Even when I look at the upcoming updates and even rumors about them, I feel like most of the things are not going to change for general use, at least for another year or two.

1: Bluetooth:
Sending files between PC (Windows 7/8/8.1) and WP8/8.1 is not just right click-> send to Bluetooth device->select the discovered devices from the list->send. All other devices (android and old Symbian) are displayed just fine (even when not paired beforehand) and receive file easily with password confirmation (you can always pair them at the same time or later). WP devices need to be paired first from settings and then they receive file, even then connection is not stable.

Also I could manage Symbian Belle devices completely on Bluetooth connection from PC, like managing files, synchronizing music, videos, contacts, messages, notes, calendar and everything, listen songs from device to PC via Bluetooth, receive calls on PC via Bluetooth etc. WP devices have extremely limited Bluetooth protocols, just limited to file transferring. This is not called seamless integration. Shame, old Symbian devices did way better.

When receiving multiple files over Bluetooth, need to accept each file separately. If the last file fails to be received, all previously received files are lost too. I don?t understand why.

2: Photos:
Still user cannot create own albums. Photos are sorted by default choices. You can not create and name album and put only photos you want in it. ?Files? is too useless as it does not display thumbnails.

Videos are displayed under photos when there is another head as ?Videos?!! All videos-captured, received or downloaded are under photos. And you cannot sort them too as photos together and videos together or create album for videos and put all together.

3: Videos:
Useless head as not all videos are shown, only captured are shown which are already there under ?photos?. Also no videos are there under ?my videos? in my country. Only captured videos are shown under appropriate head.

4: Customization:
Still no way I can select song from my music and set as a ringtone. It was there since those Java based mobile phones with mono and polyphonic ring tone. WP is so advanced, it doesn?t support this feature!!!

5: Removable storage:
There are lot of compatibility issues with the SD cards of same class. N8 and Moto G2 never faced any. Music files which are transferred to SD card via PC are shown as Other files under Storage sense!!. Many times stuff stills keeps going to phone's memory despite default setting is SD card.

6: USB OTG:
Not a thing from MS despite so many pleads from users. And I don?t think it will ever land on WP. Surprisingly, all so called high end Lumia?s lack SD support. Then why are they high end? Just because of better camera, display? At least USB OTG support would have been good solution. Initially only Nokia had it. Now only Nokia/WP doesn?t have it. Irony.

7: Office:
No complete office support. Cannot create password protected documents not powerpoint presentation. Open office on Symbian and Android is way better and feature rich.

8: Apps:
I am not app savvy but apps realy suffer on WP. Even MS's own aps are way better on Android.
Whatspp: It still cannot share audio files. Received audio files are saved somewhere and can only be played via Whatsapp. If you what to replay or delete the file, you can?t as the file?s location is unknown, not even ?Files? will help.

3th party security apps to password protect photos/videos/documents/files: never will be there due to weird ?OS restrictions?. Also, no similar inbuilt OS security.

In general, why all apps suffer only on WP while their counterparts on android, iOS or even Symbian do great? Is the problem with WP or the developers? Of course MS will blame developers.

9: Calendar:
It still cannot be managed fully from within the device. I cannot add birth date to calendar directly. I have to add it to a contact which is then displayed on calendar. Even manage the added birth dates, set alarms for them etc. And whatever I can manage, is very complicated.

10: Action center:
It?s so primitive, N8?s was so much better. And it stands nowhere if compared to Moto G2. After launch, it has not received a single change. At least clearing single notification should have been added.

11: Cortana:
Why is it so hyped and talked about when it isn?t available for over three forth of the world? It may be good or bad but if it isn?t for me why should I even bother about the feature at all? So about quiet hours and all those features dependent on cortana. They are just there to talk and read about nothing more. Android already has "say google" and works everywhere and works great. N8's basic voice commands also worked well. They do/did not have country restrictions.

I really think MS should have at least kept the basic stuff which Nokia offered in Symbian. Because most of the users for WP would obviously all Nokia users. It feels like MS has taken away all the best we had and hopelessly trying to bang stuff on our head in the way they think is best. It?s not an evolution when you stubbornly ignore all basic stuff which is there everywhere and then keep releasing patches fixing them.

How can they even forget to separate volume controls? It?s so damn basic. Similarly many other things they still are implementing. It?s like they have hired kids to develop WP. Even after so many patches, settings are extremely unorganized, nothing towards smart dialing. WP doesn't even silence Alarm when you flip the phone!!! So many things, may look small but really matter every day.

Cortana and all advanced features are great but how much are you going to use them in a day? But you do type, dial, listen to music,use calender, share, browse, organize literally thousands of times every day. What about that?Those should be attended to and improved first.

Fortunately, they greatly improved IE on Lumia Denim, and took 3 years to do so after the release of WP8.

I think I will eventually shift to android one. There are flaws but at least all basics are handled fine. And the here maps will be there someday, free. Also now there are lot many great camera phones on Android too. These were my important reasons to stay on WP.

I do not want everyone to agree with me. These are just my thoughts which I would like to share. And I?m pretty sure MS also ain?t going to anything about it as usual.

You put a lot of though based on frustration into this posting. Why? If you are so unhappy, use what makes you happy. I can't believe that you have used Nokia/MS phones for the years you have and don't have anything positive to say. I wish you luck in finding something you are satisfied with but I don't think that product, company or phase of the moon exist for you. Sorry.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Possibly you're just used to the the way Android requires users to micromanage app lifecycles, which is the opposite of what you should be doing on WP.

This might have been true a year or two ago, but it's now outdated. Android now handles apps/memory just fine, while WP needs micromanaging. They've switched places. :sweaty:

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
1. Use Wi-Fi and samba to transfer files. It's faster than Bluetooth.

2. You can create your own albums. Just make a folder under pictures. Move pictures to it. Boom, album. I don't even think it needs to be under the pictures folder- any folder with pictures shows up as an album.

3. Videos are displayed in the videos app.

4. There are hundreds of apps in the store that do this.

5. Never had this issue.

8. There are apps to protect videos/documents/files/pictures. Only several large first party apps suffer in quality. The vast majority of the store is great.

9. You set the birth dates on the contact - what's so hard to understand about that?

10. Primitive? It does what it needs to. Nothing more. I call that efficient.

Most of the rest of your post is personal preference, not required features.

OP, you've owned the phone for over a year? Not knowing some of these things borders on willful ignorance. You should ask "how do I...?" Before making a thread like this.

Last edited:

audi360

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
I had been using the galaxy s4 and was always so laggy with all kinds of error like "camera failed" which I had to restart the phone for camera to work. But now it's 3 months since I got Lumia 1520 and I'm loving it. There are things like action center and no quality apps which I don't like but in case of stability and performance of OS and games WP is much better than Android. Also the s4 would delete some things randomly when restarted the phone and the problem continued even after reset to factory.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Easy question OP. I think you should simply DO YOU. Since your needs are so specific and unique to how you live, work and play and it seems to all require a phone to do it, you should just get the device that does what you need and keep it moving.

We get these lists of things WP is "lacking' all the time when in truth, these lists are mostly rants cloaked as a innocent question, "what should I do?" You already know what you want to do, I'm sure of it. There is no need to point out the inefficiencies because you got beef with your Windows phone all of a sudden. I say all of a sudden because you claim ownership of a Windows Phone (several) for over a year and a half so you already know the development cycle and can see how this OS is developing and to get it right, it will take time. Speaking for myself, I don't accept the buyers remorse bit. If you want android, go get it. I'm not mad at cha. I wish you much success.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
The Moto G is renowned for its performance, and it runs bare bones Android so there is nothing bogging it down.

No, it does not run bare bones Android. It has a few inoffensive Motorola apps installed (that can't be removed) but there are a ton of Motorola services running for some reason. These services take up RAM and processor time, so will have an impact, however negligible, on performance.

Android is like Desktop Windows. You install an app then remove it, but there is a lot of debris left behind. \system\apps may be clear of the removed app but \system\data still maintains part of it and this can cause mayhem. On non-rooted devices it can be impossible to get apps running again because of this debris without a factory reset.

I've no idea how it is on Windows Phone, so to be fair this comment is biassed against Android. That said, so far I've not had any problems with my L735 that haven't been resolved with a restart. Whereas my experiences with Android (all Kit Kat 4.4.x) have been troublesome. And I am by no means a power user. Probably my usage is below average.

All phone OSes have their weak points; if the weak points are in areas important to you, consider changing OS.

k12000lt

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I'm very happy to see a fare and healthy arguments and not just '******'ism here.

1:App: I'm not talking about the app quantity. I know most of the apps are there on WP now. But When you compare them with their android counterparts side by side, you'll know the huge difference. I use very limited apps but still it matters. They need to think why developers are not interested in WP, if it, as per MS, has huge potential. Even, say office, it's better on android. Why? If MS can't develop their own app in a best possible way for their own WP, why other developers should?

2:About ringtone maker: I know it's there but you need an app just to set a favorite ringtone? Come on. It's a joke. For that matter, there are apps to download wallpapers, audios, videos on WP. Why can't it be like OVI store where you could directly watch/listen the clip and download? Why everything has to be through app? For limited storage devices ('high end') it's a problem. First you need to try many apps and select best, then you start to download.

3. About Cortana, VPN, notification center, Universal Apps: These are always welcome, but what about the basic functionality I mentioned? Should smart dialing be dropped? And if I wanted to switch my region to US, why there are different varients in the first place? It was there in Symbian before (though primitive) and worked irrespective of region. Now google works without region specificity.

Everyone's suggesting for an alternative for the basic functionality. WiFi transfer is not an alternative to bluetooth, creating ablums in files, then go to photos, then transfer....why not just create albums in the photos itself?

I know WP is developing, but ignoring and omitting what was there already is a mistake. And if this you say in evolution, think where others will be when WP reaches this point. They did not deliver Denim as promised, so purchased L730 outright to see whats improved, but apart from very much improved IE, nothing much, for stuff which is used though out the day.

I just want to say, they should have carefully thought about Symbian and then implemented the features. I know WP is new, differently coded etc etc, but I'm talking about features. They should have looked what others offer and chose features wisely. I'm no fan of android and in fact I like the secure WP platform.

Hope things might change with WP 10, but that remains to be seen, and no one know what the time will come.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
This might have been true a year or two ago, but it's now outdated. Android now handles apps/memory just fine, while WP needs micromanaging. They've switched places. :sweaty:
Explain why you think they switched places and I might take you up on it. :devil:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I just think it is a waste of resources. I know in WP background app remain in cancel state(or not) but still it use some resource.(specially if app is UC browser)
If WP team add a download manger in W10 that would be an awesome ground breaking feature.
If you consider RAM resources (I would), then yes, but again, that is the only resource that a suspended app lays claim to, nothing more, and WP can better decide whether that RAM should be freed up or not. What you definitely aren't doing is "wasting" resources. I'd actually argue the opposite. Closing apps is wasting resources, because you're potentially forcing your device to waste CPU cycles reloading that app which might otherwise simply have been resumed. Not using RAM that is available is the actual waste of resources, because RAM is always using power, whether it's occupied or not.

Anyway, we're kind of getting off topic here, so I'll let you have the last word...

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
I had been using the galaxy s4 and was always so laggy with all kinds of error like "camera failed" which I had to restart the phone for camera to work. But now it's 3 months since I got Lumia 1520 and I'm loving it. There are things like action center and no quality apps which I don't like but in case of stability and performance of OS and games WP is much better than Android. Also the s4 would delete some things randomly when restarted the phone and the problem continued even after reset to factory.

Is it a d?j? vu or what?
I don't know how many times I read this type of comments.
It look more like an ad than a comment

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
[h=1]Should I stick to WP? or switch to Android?[/h]
These threads appear again and again at every forum regardless of OS. There is only one answer; Yes.

Yes you should stay - or - Yes you should switch.

The only one who can decide FOR YOU is YOU. How could anyone on teh interwebz make this choice for you? I've switched through many mobile devices and platforms. I never once thought some random people in a forum could decipher my needs/wants/desires better than I. Do some research and do what you want. In the long run, you'll do what you feel is best for yourself no matter what ANYONE says here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes