Buy an App Day: Monday February 23, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Following up on wpn00b's excellent idea to contact companies and services en masse to request they make a version of their App for Windows Phone (http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8-1/331993-requested-app-week.html) and borrowing from webOS Nation...

I thought we could have a concerted effort to support developers and make our platform more attractive. Why not say thanks for supporting Windows Phone with cash? A yearly bonus that comes in the last Monday of every February. If it goes over well enough we could make it twice a year or even quarterly. Let's plan on an annual event for now.

Why the last Monday of February? Any day is as good as any other to say thanks for bolstering our platform. It allows nearly 2 months time to get the word out and for anyone who might have to scrimp a bit to plan on a little splurge ahead of time. Let's face it, if no one got paid for it, why would they develop for our platform? People deserve to get paid for their work.

What do you have to do? Buy an App. Buy more than one App. Support those Indie Devs or thank a big company for recognizing Windows Phone.
1. Running up to the day post in this thread with recommendations​
* What's worth buying and why
* What Developer is putting out quality Apps
* What company has shown outstanding support for WP​
2. Get the word out to as many people as you can to boost participation
3. Save up your pennies and get ready to do your part on Monday February 23, 2015
4. Download and try multiple free Apps on the day as well to spike the numbers of downloads and make our organized presence felt
5. Post back here on the day and let everyone know how you supported our developers​

It's that easy. Something we do anyway, just maybe waiting a bit to make that purchase or spending a bit more than normal so we can mass our effort and make an impact as a user community. I hope to hear from many on how they plan to help Windows Phone developers.

​Thank You,
​R

* For recommended purchases from users, click HERE.

Last edited:

Alienhead95

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
That is a great idea. But which apps to buy? The ones that are popular or the ones that are not getting the attention they deserve?
I need recommendations please.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That is a great idea. But which apps to buy? The ones that are popular or the ones that are not getting the attention they deserve?
I need recommendations please.

There are many criteria that can be used:
Purely Selfish - just buy what you want
Altruistic - just get in the catalog and start spreading cash around
Indie Love - reward the small guys
Splurge - get that one high dollar App you have been putting off due to price
Bigger is Better - show major corporations that support Windows Phone that Windows Phone supports them back
Free for All - download and try a slew of free Apps on the day as well to spike the numbers show everyone we are here and we are organized and we are not going away - we want Apps and we support our developers!!!

Hopefully enough posters will highlight Apps and developers here so that everyone who wants to participate is spoiled for choice on where to spend their money.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Recommends:

Knock-Knock ($4.49 USD - 512MB Supported): https://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/knock-knock/ac9bbe18-23e4-4e45-bc48-da475756576b

I don't play many games, just little time wasters for the most part. This game was highlighted in an article on Windows Central and it intrigued me so I gave it a try. It's very creepy. I found it to be immersive and fascinating. Follow the recommendations and play at late night in a low light room with the headphones on for maximum effect. It will make your skin crawl.

App in the Air (Free, with in App purchases): https://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/app-in-the-air/2642dc62-42fa-47e5-b87e-898c29b7255e

Found from another article on WC. The beauty of this App is that it covers you across any airlines, unlike the dedicated airline apps (the Delta App proved buggy on WP in any event). Another great thing is you pay for the App only when you need it. I subscribed to alerts for a trip I took and found it totally worth it. Very accurate and timely delivery of info via SMS. A really cool feature is that I could enroll travel partners into each flight's alerts. It sends them a code via text that you plug back in to confirm and authorize alerts to their phone as well. Very cool. I set it all up and my wife got the benefits as well. Great tool for traveling and I'll subscribe again for my next set of flights.

Lost Echo ($2.99) One of my favorite and very much polished game. Its only available on iOS and WP.
Lost Echo | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (India)

ProShot ($2.49 USD): This one is so often recommended I don't know if I even need to describe it. I do know it has helped me take some great pics that I would not have otherwise been able to. Love the full HDR mode that merges the different exposures right on the phone, no desktop software needed for merging bracketed shots. http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/proshot/3d6a3d7e-5aca-4aee-b059-590b9f53cc13

...Also add: Poki, Nextgen Reader and Readit.

Edit: Add Tweetium, myTube and MovieMaker 8.1
For music players add ModernMusic, Audiotica

This one is hot off the press...
Je Suis Charlie! Windows Phone App

Also add Chronos Calendar.
Add 8.1 version as there are two versions.

MoliPlayer Pro - plays everything I ever threw at it.

Why not Music Pro?
With the recent new ui it look gorgeous!
Music Pro | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

This is a great idea that deserves support. A large part of my job involves working outdoors so weather/radar apps are something I follow and the following two are always on my start screen. Both have elegant UIs, are accurate, are well rated, and have developers who provide support and updates consistently.

Blue Skies (free, but with in-app purchase of $1.99 to upgrade live tile and add radar)
Appy Weather ($3.99, has option to try for free for 7 days)

My favorite weather radar app, and whose radar live tile is always pinned on my start screen, is:
Weather Radar Live (free, has several upgrade purchase options. I spent $1.98 to remove adds and get a zoomable live tile)

For the fitness buffs, two apps to track running, walking, cycling, etc .Again, both are energetically supported by their developers, consistently updated, and well rated. I personally use the first one as it has modes for walking and cycling. The second, which is tailored for running, I want to try soon.

Run the Map (free, but has a page to donate to support development of the app)
Track Runner (free, but again has a page to donate to to support development)

Finally, one that I'm saving for myself on the 23rd as I liked what I saw using the trial version, to store all my passwords, user names,card details, etc for safekeeping and quick recall.:

Enpass ($9.99)

Start Perfect ($0.99 USD) Start Perfect | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

From the maker of Transparency Tiles... A robust Tile and Background maker for customizing your Start Screen.
_____

OneStart (free w/ in-App upgrade to Pro) OneStart | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Another Start Screen customization tool with cool blend and fade effects for your tiles and more!!!
_____

Translucent Apps ($0.99 USD) Translucent Apps | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Splits the difference between regular opaque (solid color/can't see through) and transparent (no color/see through) tiles by offering a translucent option (see through the color!). Features 40 and growing number of Apps it will work for.
_____

This or That ($1.99 USD) This or That | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

A quick time waster Trivia Game. Jazmac says, "Still my favorite, This Or That. The perfect time waster triva game. Its been around since Windows Phone 7 and hasn't seen an update since that time but, it is probably one that doesn't need it. "

Blood Pressure Pro | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) why? it helps you keep your readings in one place and you can export the data to excel. TBH you could get the same basic things from the free app, but since we're supporting devs... the only downside is that the app hasn't been update in a while

MoliPlayer Pro | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) Why? It supports most formats and it gives you wifi transfer :D

Cycle Master | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) Why? I just need to connect onedrive and I can go and it has a media player in the app itself :D

Task Manager | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) Why? Well the guy has developed some quality apps and most of them have hit 4 stars

Apps from Perfect Thumb | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) Anything at all from this guy, because he's also given us a lot of good apps (I use some of them xd)

WolframAlpha ($2.99 USD) http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/wolframalpha/e6739e33-651d-41f8-94ee-71f9e693866b

You need an App to calculate what this App won't calculate for you, ??? :confused: ??? Seriously just look at the App description and tell me it isn't of some use to everyone...

Two personal finance manager apps that I highly recommend:

Akche | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
My absolute favorite. Love the UI, the use of color coded tags (ability to edit existing and create new ones), quick view summarys, etc. I use it to daily track six bank accounts/credit cards. Well supported by developer who took the time to personally respond to a review I left in the store. Just received update today that added OneDrive backup. Totally free and deserves greater awareness. Download it on the 23rd and try it out!

Money Tracker Pro | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
More full featured than Akche. Designed to be a complete finance/investment manager. I'm just starting playing with this one, and I like what I see. Again well supported with updates by the developer and another one that deserves greater awareness. The link is for the pro version, but the developer also has a free version available in the store.

It would be nice if the WC team would highlight Buy an App Day in a news story on the main page as I think a lot of people don't wade into the forums.

I don't think anyone has recommended a podcast app yet, so:

Podcast Lounge | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
I've tried several, and this is my favorite. Never had an issue finding or playing a podcast with this app as compared to the native podcast app.

A few more apps I use and recommend:

True Calendar 8 | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
A more complete, customizable calendar than the native calendar app. Has a lot of customization options, and I love the live tile on this one.

Chalkboard | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
Just cool to spend some time on, and I'm a sucker for the Metro UI. A chalk art app that looks so realistic. Has numerous options. Free, but you can support it's young developer in app with .99 cent tool purchase.

City Art Search | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
Okay, it is by Microsoft and it is free, but it deserves a wider audience. I just love this app being that I'm an art buff. Search or browse 2000+ pieces of art and their locations. I have a wide tile of this on my start screen and use this as my lock screen to cycle through my favorite art works. Unlike a lot of Microsoft apps that don't get updated often, the developer here is constantly updating the app and documents it with extensive change logs.

OneDo | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
Free, but again deserves wider audience and is well supported by developer. A task manager app using Metro UI and with customizable transparent live tiles.

FreePrints | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
This app was brought back by the company, due to the outcry, after initially dropping Windows support and removing from the store as documented on the News page. It is nice to see a company reconsider and admit their mistakes. Support them, as Windows/Window Phone users, by downloading the free app and purchasing some photo prints. I 've received prints through them and was impressed with the results.

Last edited:

Alienhead95

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Got it. We should have a sticky with the list of apps and the links(its very unlikely to find by searching them in the store).

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Got it. We should have a sticky with the list of apps and the links(its very unlikely to find by searching them in the store).

I'll put in a fix now. I forgot to reserve the second post slot in this thread...

I'll put a link to my Recommends in the first post and I can quote any others and paste them in there. Still close to the top...

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Lost Echo ($2.99) One of my favorite and very much polished game. Its only available on iOS and WP.
Lost Echo | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (India)

Copied to the recommends post. Thanks.

On the day, it could even be in App purchases... We just want to make a big splash any way we can...

If your Region gives you Bing Rewards why not rack up some points, redeem them for the Microsoft Gift card that lets you buy Apps for Windows and Windows Phone and cash those in on Monday Feb. 23? That way Microsoft foots the bill... :D In the US a $3.00 card is 310 points or a $1.25 card for Windows Phone Apps is 170 points...

On a personal note, I would really love to see some more people pledge support in the thread. It's only a couple of dollars people. I'm not asking you to buy a brand new car and give it away!!! It's about showing support as an organized community and making a bold and concrete statement that we Windows Phone Users appreciate our Developers.

Haven't heard from any Developers yet, either...

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Awesome! I love this idea. Shamelessly ripping off Ven07's signature to promote this.

Lets get organized. I'm pretty fired up about all this!

Edit: LOL I posted "maybe consider using Bing Rewards to get a couple bucks to spend as well" before reading every post. That's already been covered :)

Last edited:

amitnahar

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
True. Also add: Poki, Nextgen Reader and Readit.

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
IDK...

Are Windows Phone people just complacent or frugal?

The lack of response to this thread boggles my mind.
I'm not into games, and all of the apps mentioned so far that aren't games I already have other than App in the Air; however, I haven't flown since 1995.

I need more recommendations of apps that aren't games that I haven't already purchased.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
True. Also add: Poki, Nextgen Reader and Readit.

^^^ Added to the Recommends post: http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...ay-monday-february-23-2015-a.html#post2924304

I'm not into games, and all of the apps mentioned so far that aren't games I already have other than App in the Air; however, I haven't flown since 1995.

I need more recommendations of apps that aren't games that I haven't already purchased.

Fair enough. Since I haven't been flooded with recommendations, let me do some research and add some more titles based on web searches for quality apps.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Another one marked by myself for on the day... I've been meaning to remove the ads in the excellent SysApp Pusher. That deserves my $0.99 or whatever small amount it is many times over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786