I have no space but I am not able to delete anything, how do I free up space?

book1245

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Out of space and nothing opens

I have the HTC 8Xt running 8.1. The 8XT has a storage size of 8GB, so space on my phone is pretty rare. I tend to install all apps on my SD card because local storage on my phone becomes more and more scarce. Whenever space seems to run dangerously low, I'll delete some pictures or some long-running text threads.

Yesterday, my phone began alerting me that there wasn't enough space to be able to check for updates, an alert I had never seen before. I checked and saw I had about 40MB of space on my phone, and figured I'd do a phone cleanse later to try and free up space. Shortly after, I tried to send a text only to get an alert that there wasn't enough space to send the text. Checking my memory, I was now down to only a few kilobytes of space.

I went back to my messages and tried to delete some threads to free up space, but my phone told me actually didn't have enough space to be able to delete a thread. I tried deleting some pictures, but they flat out couldn't be deleted.

The biggest problem finally came when no phone function tile could be opened. I would press Messaging/Phone/People, the tiles would fly away, only for everything on my start screen to fly right back into place. Downloaded apps and games can open, but if I try to select anything from the settings list, it jumps right back to the settings list itself. Someone called me, and their bare number was displayed instead of their contact name and picture. Simply put, nothing is opening.

I've tried rebooting the phone dozens of time. I've tried draining the battery, leaving it off for a few hours, leaving it on and be for awhile, but almost 24 hours later it's still doing this issue.

Does anyone have any idea what I could do before I have to resort to a hard reset?

noobchief

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Re: Out of space and nothing opens

Clean temporary files using storage sense. Delete your browsing history as well as the search history.

book1245

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site

The issue there is I can't get into Storage Sense. When selected, the Settings menu flies away, but instantly returns like my start screen.

I had tried doing that back when my phone was simply giving me the space error messages, but that didn't seem to have any effect.

Also, to mention if it means anything, when I plug my phone into my computer, the file explorer for both the Phone and SD Card show nothing inside, no folders for pictures/music/etc.

Last edited:

book1245

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site

Yes, many times over. This issue has happened a few times in the past and rebooting the phone always did the trick, but no luck this time through.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Can you get the SD out your phone and see what happens. And connect your phone to a computer. And insert the SD card in a the card reader from your computer. Maybe now you can delete some files.

book1245

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site

When I take the SD card out, the phone still gives the same issues. The SD card by itself shows up in a card reader and I can access all the folders like I used to be able to. When I plug my SD card-less phone into my computer, it still shows up as having no folders.

knuckles245

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site

It seems your best option would be to hard reset. Hopefully all your important files are already backed up in the cloud (photos/documents), the only thing that doesn't get backed up is your screenshot folder and music (hope you have original music files on your computer).

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site

I once got the phone full myself. I also couldn't open anything. Had to hard reset.

book1245

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site

How did it turn out?

Turned out just fine! Everything had been backed up, so all of my apps were reloaded.

All my texts from when I first got my phone just finished restoring last night, and I've found that all the old picture messages were restored as "Get Media Content Now" links instead of the actual picture. This is excellent because it greatly reduced the overall size of my messages. My phone now has three gigs of space available! Although, if I click those links they don't seem to be downloading the picture back to the message, but that's a nonissue.

The one big thing I've noticed is that the battery life has been reduced a bit. When I reset my phone, it automatically upgraded itself to 8.1 upon its restore, and I'm sure I've seen people who experience poor battery when a phone is upgraded to 8.1, but with time it gets better. Fingers crossed that's the case!

Three extra gigs of space should be more than fine for the duration of my time with this phone. I'm desperately holding out hope that before the end of 2015 Sprint could get a Lumia with more than 8 gigs of storage (desperate hope, I know).

EDIT: Actually scratch that, it looks like now my phone is going back and downloading all the pictures slowly but surely, which is rapidly shrinking my storage space. Downloading all those pictures seems to be what had been draining my battery so severely as well. Guess I just need to do more deleting.

At least the phone works again!

Last edited:

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site

I assume you already have all the pictures on OneDrive, so why bother downloading them again ?

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site

Syncronisation is alway known as a big drainer.
Therefore i have set al my mail etc to the minimum....
I mean i am a big boy, so i can check my own mail, wp doesnt have to do that for me.

Photo's and Video, just keep the ones closed at heart on your phone,
and leave the rest in the cloud.

book1245

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site

I had meant the pictures from MMS texts that first read as "Get Media Content Now", that's what the phone went back to download. That's what was draining the battery so quickly for the first few days, and that's where my three free gigs of storage went.

I still have a few hundred megabytes free, so I'm still in a much better position than a week ago!

knuckles245

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site

I had meant the pictures from MMS texts that first read as "Get Media Content Now", that's what the phone went back to download. That's what was draining the battery so quickly for the first few days, and that's where my three free gigs of storage went.

I still have a few hundred megabytes free, so I'm still in a much better position than a week ago!

Save those images so they back up to OneDrive, then delete the MMS messages and from your phones saved pictures folder so that you can free up space.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre