How do I get my music back in order?

Thornwolf

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
My music is out of order!

I'm using the default music player (XBox Music I think. Not Zune unfortunately) My music seems to be mixed up. However, its does follow a pattern. The numbers seem to go 1, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 2, 20, 21 ... 3, 30, 31, and so on. Where did Microsoft learn how to count? I can't listen to my audio books and with the chapters all mixed it like this. I imported the same audio files to a iPhone, iPod, Galaxy S5 and even my old WP7 with Zune; All seem to put the music in order. This only happens to my Lumia 920 8.1.

Side note: Shuffle is turned off. So I know that's not the issue.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: My music is out of order!

There was an identical thread acouple of months ago, as you can see by the way that the books are playing, the numbers are going "Alphabetically" rather than "Numerically", so 1, 10, 11, 12 is the order rather than 1, 2, 3.......10, 11, 12

I can't remember the outcome of the thread but if you do a search I am sure you can find it (Although I just looked and couldn't).

Thornwolf

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site

Laura, some files are .wma but most are mp3.
Bobvfr, the only post I saw was one where they had shuffle turned on lol. I don't understand how the numbers are being arranged Alphabetically, cause they are numbers not letters. And even if its an issue with how the files are named, why does 3 other operating systems (iOS, android, WP7) put them in proper order.

Thornwolf

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site

For some reason my last reply didn't show up:

Laura, the files are mp3 and wma. I do use the audible app with their files, and those work fine. This happens mostly to CD's I have used Windows Media Player to rip on to my computer. This will some times happen to Music tracks. However, with those not having so many tracks and it being music, I don't notice it as much as I do with audio books.
Bobvfr, the only post I saw was one where they user had shuffle on lol. Also, I don't understand how numbers are being arranged Alphabetically. Furthermore, why does 3 other OS (iOS, android, WP7) put the files in the correct order?

Scott Leonard

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site

You'll need to edit either the filenames, the tags or both. The track numbers should have leading zero's as in - 01, 02, 03 ... 10 so that the place values line up correctly when in vertical order see examples below.

Without leading zero's:

With leading zero's (the correct way to number lists):

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

I used the word "Alphabetically" to describe the way the files are being read, this is my album list sorted by A to Z including the ones that start with "Numbers" 0 to 9 :

"Heroes" (David Bowie)
100 ultimate classical tracks (Various artists)
15 greatest hits (Tina Turner)
40th anniversary collection (Strawbs)
461 ocean boulevard (Eric Clapton)
50 words for snow (Kate Bush)
96 degrees in the shade (Third world)
A momentary lapse of reason (Pink Floyd)
A nod is as good as a wink (Faces)

As we can all see 461 is a greater number than 50 or 96, but using the "Numbers" based on the alphabet rather than "Numbers" you add up, then I would say the list is correct.

One day I will sort out the tags and get the " " taken from the album "Heroes" so it shows up as H, but the others as far as I am concerned are in the right order.

So the way to deal with this is to put the leading 0's in the tags.

As to why it's done this way, I would guess a different logic was used, maybe they didn't consider books when it came to a music player, or maybe the book publishers never thought through the logic of not using the leading 0's when they digitised them.

Thornwolf

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site

Editing the files names made no difference. I even tried placing random number I the name and it still made no difference. So I took a different approach by opening the files properties and changing its track number. This worked, however, I am unable to place a zero in front of the numbers. Windows (win 7pc) just keeps deleting it. Once again, why is this only an issue with my win8.1 phone. I'm ready to start carring my iPod again :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05