Hotmail-I don't use it, why is it draining my battery?

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't use Hotmail, yet it's draining my battery on my ATT Nokia 830. My phone's been on for only a few hours this morning and Battery Saver shows Hotmail draining almost 5% of my battery use. When I go into my Email+Accounts settings, I see a Microsoft Account, which I thought I should have, but when I tap on that it shows the account name as "Hotmail." I don't have a check mark in the box "Content to sync."

Is there something I can do about this to help preserve battery?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
The name "hotmail" is just a name and you can change it to whatever you want.

But under it is a box "download new content" change this to less frequent.

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Turn auto refresh off, instead of 30 minutes or more
I have it set to download new content "daily', rather than as items arrive, every 15 minutes, every 30 minutes or hourly. It doesn't download any content because I don't use it and my Outlook.com account is set to "send only."

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I checked my Microsoft account (also named hotmail) in battery saver and it is less than 1% (last 48 hours). So 5% is high.
Is it a new phone or did you just do a hard reset?. This may explain the higher usage for one time.

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I checked my Microsoft account (also named hotmail) in battery saver and it is less than 1% (last 48 hours). So 5% is high.
Is it a new phone or did you just do a hard reset?. This may explain the higher usage for one time.
Just checked Battery Saver again, showing "Hotmail" as In Use at 4.5%. I've had the 830 since the day it came out on ATT, and have not done a hard reset.

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
It's not really my "Hotmail" account. It's my Microsoft account that's burning battery at 5% clip, even after soft reset. I realized then when I went into my email+accounts settings and opened Microsoft Account. When I checked download new content "as items arrive" and hit the check mark, it showed me that my Microsoft, LinkedIn and Twitter accounts all synced. I remember when I got this phone and had to set up Twitter again with a new account name and password, that I linked Twitter and LinkedIn to my Microsoft account. Which is what I thought I needed to do to have seamless integration with the Phone OS. So is that why my Microsoft account is burning battery?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
If they all go via your Microsoft account than that could be the answer.
Do you also see linked-in and twitter in battery saver?
I ones had the linked-in app and it drained the battery overnight.

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
If they all go via your Microsoft account than that could be the answer.
Do you also see linked-in and twitter in battery saver?
I ones had the linked-in app and it drained the battery overnight.
Twitter shows up separately in battery saver as "not allowed." LinkedIn does not show up separately.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I have not linked these accounts (twitter and linked in) but can you also uncheck the "sync" off them one bye one in your "hotmail" account and than keep an eye on the battery drain?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786