Switching to Windows Phone 8.1...worth it?

Gino Guillermo

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi there. I have been an Android user for 4 years and have been quite dependent on both Android (& Google) apps to get me thru the day, etc. But now that WP 8.1 is here i'd like to re-discover what Windows Phone can offer me. So, i'd like to ask:

1. Bluetooth - Can i send & receive files (.mp3, .jpg, .pdf) to and from an Android phone via bluetooth?
2. Wireless transfer - With Airdroid i can transfer files wirelessly with almost zero effort and zero time wasting. With iTunes it's also very easy minus the wireless transfer way. Is there an app or feature within WP8.1 that allows this?
3. Notifications & Action Centre - Why only 4? With Android you can toggle on & off anything from 4 to more than 10 such as wifi, torch, bluetooth, etc.
4. Music - Can i now customise or edit an equaliser to my liking within the Music app? Or is there an app that can do that?
5. Google - I mostly use Google service for my email, maps (such as walking navigation as my work demands it), translation and Google Drive to save my files. My question is are there really any good alternatives to these Google services on the WP store?
6. Can i now create folders on WP8.1 like what one can do on Android or iOS?

If only Microsoft would start supporting Android apps compatibility on Windows Phone then life would be different.

Please advice. Thanks.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Based on your wish list, you're probably better off staying with Android to be honest. At least for the time being.

alex athanasopoulos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I know only about the Lumia Windows phone as I am an owner.

The 1st is possible and the 2nd via an app. The 3rd one is going to be changed with the w10 update.

For the 4th not sure, maybe someone else can answer it. In Lumia phone there is a in-buit feature in the settings. Its an equalizer, but works with headset. As for an app never searched, as I don't need one.

About the 5th as I hate the google services and use the Microsoft one I don't know if there are good alternatives.

About the 6th there are the live folders for the wp8.1.1 or for Lumia exclusive a folder app.

Generally there are some good alternatives for various app, that many times are better than the official one (no matter if its wp, android or ios).

I would suggest you to check in http://www.windowsphone.com/ the store and look for the apps you need. Also check for the upcoming news about w10 update for wp and see I the OS fit your needs.

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi there. I have been an Android user for 4 years and have been quite dependent on both Android (& Google) apps to get me thru the day, etc. But now that WP 8.1 is here i'd like to re-discover what Windows Phone can offer me. So, i'd like to ask:

1. Bluetooth - Can i send & receive files (.mp3, .jpg, .pdf) to and from an Android phone via bluetooth?
2. Wireless transfer - With Airdroid i can transfer files wirelessly with almost zero effort and zero time wasting. With iTunes it's also very easy minus the wireless transfer way. Is there an app or feature within WP8.1 that allows this?
3. Notifications & Action Centre - Why only 4? With Android you can toggle on & off anything from 4 to more than 10 such as wifi, torch, bluetooth, etc.
4. Music - Can i now customise or edit an equaliser to my liking within the Music app? Or is there an app that can do that?
5. Google - I mostly use Google service for my email, maps (such as walking navigation as my work demands it), translation and Google Drive to save my files. My question is are there really any good alternatives to these Google services on the WP store?

If only Microsoft would start supporting Android apps compatibility on Windows Phone then life would be different.

Please advice. Thanks.
1. Yes, ever since WP 8 u can do Bluetooth transfer to any bluetooth enabled device.
2. I am not sure what u mean by wireless transfer, but bluetooth does most of the sharing and NFC enabled devices can also use that.

3. The new W10 which comes later in the year to all WP8.x lumias will bring in the ability to add more toggles.
4. In Mix Radio(formerly Nokia Music) there is equalizer settings for most mid to high end lumias but I believe its absent in 520/525/530.
5. I am pretty sure there are good work around alternatives for all Google apps but they may not be as good as the real thing.

6. With the new Files app most of the functions u find android folder apps can be used.
Also with WP 8.1.1 you can even create folders of apps in the start screen for easier access.

lkcbharath

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I have everything you need.

1) Yes, through the file manager you can send ANY FILE.
2) There are apps like Easy Transfer and SendSpace, but at the moment we don't have a proper WiFi Direct sharing system.
3) You may have heard of Windows 10. After the update comes out, similar to Android, you tap a button and the whole list of actions comes up. But for now, its 4 (5 if you buy a 1320 or 1520)
4) Idk anything about an equaliser because I have a 525 :(, but I believe the later models have equaliser e.g. 730.
5) You can use the built-in email app for Gmail which works flawlessly.
As for the alternatives:-
Google Maps:- Here Maps, with offline maps support where you can download maps of countries and states to use when you don't have a data connection. On navigation wise, it is as good as GMaps.
Translator:- Bing Translator, also has offline language support for selected languages, and is quite good for your day-to-day needs.
Google Drive:- OneDrive. Vastly superior in every way and is available for your Android device too. It's built-in in WP8.1.
6) Not exactly on stock WP8.1, but there is an update available for selected devices and will roll out to others soon, dubbed Denim or simply WP8.1 GDR1.

Your choice of WP8.1 as your new mobile OS is fantastic. Enjoy your new WP8.1 and do await the Windows 10 update which will bring you more :). If you have any more queries, feel free to ask :).

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Yes - I've done it was iPhone, not tried with Android, but it should work
Not quite sure what you're asking - so I won't answer
Its a very arbitrary number, but I believe in Win10 this will increase...
Honest answer, don't know. I just use it to play music, I don't tinker too much
Sadly Google pulled their last remaining app from the App Store, YouTube, even though it was produced by MS. Google & MS don't get on.
But OneDrive equals Google Drive
Bing (MSN) Translate equals Google Translate
Here Drive+ in IMO is better than Google Maps (for navigation) - though I suppose this is dependant which part of the world your in, some areas are better than others...
YouTube is one area you'll need a third party app, but there are many and a number are very good
Folder on screen for each page = No. But MS have Live Folders (in 8.1.1) which offers folders on the main start screen.

Nope! I don't believe this will ever happen for so many reasons, but politically and technically. I hated Android, but again that's my opinion.

Hope this helps your decision, there is an exciting several months coming with Win10, so it'll be a very interesting ride!

G.

Gino Guillermo

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Easy transfer seem to be an ideal wireless/wifi file transfer app that i'm looking for similar to Airdroid without using any bloated/cumbersome first-party software. I'll give it a try. Is there something else please?

The four Action centre toggles ain't enough. Would be better if it was 5 even on the 730/5/830. And ill have to wait till "late this year" to taste those Win10 improvements? If Microsoft knows where they are in terms of mobile OS they would have tried to at least move it forward to say Summer.

I understand there is an equaliser on most Lumia phones but can i customise it? And if not then are there any good music player apps that can do that?

I can definitely try Here maps and Bing Translate. Gmail i'm sure there are alternatives on the Apps store. (But prefer the wipe to cancel feature in Android) But what i can say is i can't live without Google Drive as i have invested in it now and have lots of files there now. But saying that does OneDrive provide more storage than GDrive? And is there a way to transfer my GDrive files to OneDrive?

I think we can all agree the Windows Store is still more than twice less than that of Android & iOS. Even games i would say its still an infant. But if i can find very good Google/Android alternatives then i'm willing to try.

Also re those Android apps that simply have no alternatives (such as Youtube) is there a way i can create a tile that would lead to the web version of YT?

Also, i noticed the Settings menu is not alphabetical. You sometimes have to just scroll up & down and look for what you need to do (Info, Music, Notifications, etc.) which is a total waste of time. There seem to be no option to arrange that Settings folder alphabetically.

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Easy transfer seem to be an ideal wireless/wifi file transfer app that i'm looking for similar to Airdroid without using any bloated/cumbersome first-party software. I'll give it a try. Is there something else please?

The four Action centre toggles ain't enough. Would be better if it was 5 even on the 730/5/830. And ill have to wait till "late this year" to taste those Win10 improvements? If Microsoft knows where they are in terms of mobile OS they would have tried to at least move it forward to say Summer.

I understand there is an equaliser on most Lumia phones but can i customise it? And if not then are there any good music player apps that can do that?

I can definitely try Here maps and Bing Translate. Gmail i'm sure there are alternatives on the Apps store. (But prefer the wipe to cancel feature in Android) But what i can say is i can't live without Google Drive as i have invested in it now and have lots of files there now. But saying that does OneDrive provide more storage than GDrive? And is there a way to transfer my GDrive files to OneDrive?

I think we can all agree the Windows Store is still more than twice less than that of Android & iOS. Even games i would say its still an infant. But if i can find very good Google/Android alternatives then i'm willing to try.

Also re those Android apps that simply have no alternatives (such as Youtube) is there a way i can create a tile that would lead to the web version of YT?

Also, i noticed the Settings menu is not alphabetical. You sometimes have to just scroll up & down and look for what you need to do (Info, Music, Notifications, etc.) which is a total waste of time. There seem to be no option to arrange that Settings folder alphabetically.

First of all if u sign up for preview u can get W10 as early as February.

Secondly all Lumias except 52x and probably 53x has equaliser built in to Mix radio which is the default Music app for Lumias along with Xbox Music. There you do have custom settings and all.
I have a 620 and I use it, but u can only use with a earphone connected.

YouTube has great also alternatives like Metro Tube which is basically as good as the android app and was recently updated with even 60fps playback support.
I personally use Youtube +HD which also has offline support.

Settings in alphabetical order was supposed to be part of WP 8.1 GDR 2 but now they have showcased it with W10 so u can get it in the update.

Gino Guillermo

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I am unable to find Youtuebe +HD on the app store. And with Metro Tub can i sign-in to my normal YT-Google account? Does it have that swipe action to minimise or maximise or close the video like that of Android?

Any Chromecast apps on the Windows Phone store?

Any wifi streaming apps (similar to Plex) wherein i can stream off my media files to any compatible device such as a media box, Chromecast or games console?

ramyZgHR

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I am unable to find Youtuebe +HD on the app store. And with Metro Tub can i sign-in to my normal YT-Google account? Does it have that swipe action to minimise or maximise or close the video like that of Android?

Any Chromecast apps on the Windows Phone store?

Any wifi streaming apps (similar to Plex) wherein i can stream off my media files to any compatible device such as a media box, Chromecast or games console?

Try Tubecast, it's great! :)
http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=bee1728a-4c19-495e-86b2-ce13e4eaa6d4

BullGuard8

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Just switched from an iPhone 6 to a Nokia Lumia 930, it's a very diff. experience but it's way easier to handle files on the Lumia

Gino Guillermo

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
How about an alternative to the Notifications & Action centre. In particular toggles on & off. The Action Centre only has four toggles which for me is not enough.

Is there an app or theme where i can toggle a lot more than four toggles for easy turning on & off? (And one with torch please).

Thanks.

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
How about an alternative to the Notifications & Action centre. In particular toggles on & off. The Action Centre only has four toggles which for me is not enough.

Is there an app or theme where i can toggle a lot more than four toggles for easy turning on & off? (And one with torch please).

Thanks.

Insider pro will do that. But W10 already showcased more toggles so it will come to u later in the update

Gino Guillermo

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Is Insider Pro only available or is capable of just being a tile to access and toggle everything or can it act as a sort of new Action Centre toggles switch thing?

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Is Insider Pro only available or is capable of just being a tile to access and toggle everything or can it act as a sort of new Action Centre toggles switch thing?

It can only pin a tile that will take u to the settings page of that particular action. It was pretty handy back in the day when there was no notification center :)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6