SDCard Music Shows Up in "Other"

book1245

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
My phone had been using an SDCard for awhile, 32GB, to hold all my music and apps, since my 8XT only has 8GB of internal storage. I've been running low on space on my SD card, so I bought a new 64GB card today. I replaced and formatted the card, re-downloaded all my apps that I had saved on the card, and started to put all my music back on. I had just dragged and dropped all my music to the last card I had, so I proceeded to do the same with this one.

While bringing the music over, I noticed a few things. When I brought the new card in, Xbox music was still showing all my albums in the app, despite the music no longer being there. They wouldn't play, of course, but once I added the music back to my new card, the phone detected the song and it would play. However, I noticed that a lot of album art was missing, and a large amount of songs were showing up under "Unknown Artist/Album", something that didn't happen often with the old card. I then noticed in storage settings that all my music was showing up under the "Other" section, even though I dragged the files into the Music folder in Explorer.

I deleted all the songs from my phone manually (using select all, then waiting for everything to clear) to give it a sort of fresh start, but dragging more music still had everything end up in "Other", and now no albums show up in the music app.

Is there any solution someone can offer? I've also been getting some 80073cf9 errors, so I'm almost considering doing a hard reset anyway, but hope to avoid it if possible.

Fingers crossed the Windows 10 Music app is a nice revamp.

book1245

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I have Windows 8.1, and I've tried using both the desktop app and the metro app to sync some music, but everything still winds up in "Other" when I check out Storage Sense on the phone. Oddly enough, even when using either app to sync the music, if I check out the SD card in file explorer, it does indeed show the music in the Music folder.

Meanwhile, in the music app, it still occasionally shows the phantom tracks that have long since been deleted. I've googled if there was a way to sort of reset the music app, but there doesn't seem to be a solution for that.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem. Here is what I did.

Delete all the music off the phone.
Open explorer when your phone is connected and set the view in the SD / Phone to show hidden files and folders. Now go through each of the folders that are listed in your music folder, there should be playlists, artists, songs, and podcasts. Empty the folders.

Copy your songs back onto the SD card, when that is done, open the music app and let it sit for a while and re-index the music After a wile things should start showing up fine.

book1245

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I went through my phone and SD card in explorer, but the hidden folders only showed up on the phone, and after that there was only one file in the hidden podcast folder. After deleting that, I tried dragging a test album into the phone as well as the SD card (not at the same time), but both times the music app wasn't registering any music, and they continued to show up in the "Other" folder on the SD card.

Going back to the music app still shows the albums that were loaded on the old SD card. If I go album by album, I seem to have luck slowly deleting them from the music app.

Thank you for the suggestion though, I hadn't found anything like that when I had been googling this issue earlier!

**update**

Perhaps it just took 36 hours to delete all the ghost tracks, but my music app now shows up as empty, telling me to add music to my phone. I tried dragging and dropping again using the file explorer, and now the albums show up and play in music! They still appear in the "Other" folder in Storage Sense, but, baby steps!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077