Denim rollout - worldwide status

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
It's pretty obvious how lousy NA carriers are. I'm personally done with contracts and the big carriers as of may.

Merely to "show them"? I don't see how that move with help with updates, unless I'm missing something. Or how that is any better than buying your own device and using a month to month plan. You'd still be free to do as you wish to your device but you get all the benefits of coverage from the big guys.

As far as carrier updates, seems like you'd be way worse off avoiding the big names in the US.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Merely to "show them"?
Hey, any reason is a good enough reason for me! The wireless market in the US is some horrible trinopoly collusive cartel kind of thing, so do what you have to do. I went from ATT to Straight Talk which is ATT. But I'm still saving $30 a month for the same service, so that's got to hurt them at least a tiny bit. Or so I hope.

muvig

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
but some of the handsets are not attached to any carriers (country varient), its the Microsoft which is holding those updates!

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
but some of the handsets are not attached to any carriers (country varient), its the Microsoft which is holding those updates!
Fair enough (I think?) but still, I don't want to hold back anyone who is willing to stick it to the carriers! :D

Meanwhile, as the proud owner of a HK Lumia 1520, I do wish things were moving faster on the carrier-free models.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft aren't holding up the updates as such. They're having to test each one of the 2500+ variants as well as the carriers do. It takes time to get through the test phase, especially since there's more handsets/carriers for Denim than there were for Cyan and Black.

This is a really great overall view of what's going on. Obviously the percentages are slanted somewhat as some regions have more handsets/carriers than others....

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft aren't holding up the updates as such. They're having to test each one of the 2500+ variants as well as the carriers do. It takes time to get through the test phase, especially since there's more handsets/carriers for Denim than there were for Cyan and Black.

If what your saying is true and they keep pushing out more "new" handsets then it can only get worse, not good considering how soon a device becomes outdated, totally wrong direction if you ask me.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's not wrong to roll out new handsets and for more carriers to support the handsets.

We don't know yet how updates will be handled in Windows 10. I'm sure that Microsoft are aware that more variants is causing an increase in delivery times.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
This is a really great overall view of what's going on. Obviously the percentages are slanted somewhat as some regions have more handsets/carriers than others....
That's actually a big deal, Europe has forty times more variants than NA. Craziness.I added the total number of models below the table, copied below with today's data. Still, Europe seems to be making good progress despite having the largest number of models.

AfricaAsiaEuropeLatin AmericaMiddle EastNorth America
Denim54174722107914
Models194311107243318626
Done %28%56%67%25%49%15%

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Lots of movement today again. Especially Europe made a big jump. 75% done now. USA also added one model... Still, it doesn't look likely that they'll get this done before March. I'd be impressed if they finish this by April tbh.

Easo

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Also note that homepage is updated later than the updates are actually released.
For example, it is the third day I am on Denim with my Lumia 820 Latvia CV, yet the site still shows Cyan.
So the percentage is actually even higher.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Also note that homepage is updated later than the updates are actually released.
For example, it is the third day I am on Denim with my Lumia 820 Latvia CV, yet the site still shows Cyan.
So the percentage is actually even higher.
Maybe, although for the HK 1520 it's the reverse: it shows as available on the page, but the phone doesn't show an update. :(

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Lots of movement today again. Especially Europe made a big jump. 75% done now. USA also added one model... Still, it doesn't look likely that they'll get this done before March. I'd be impressed if they finish this by April tbh.

Seeing that India is hours away from being into March I'd say MS India will not live up to their promise that "all" Lumia phones will have Denim by the end of Feb, just another nail in the WP coffin in my opinion, It'll be reeeeeal interesting to see how WP10 progresses after this Denim rollout fiasco.

Last edited:

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Updated the table with today's changes. Nothing much changed, they clearly missed March 1st if that ever was an official deadline. Oddly the info pages indicate that Denim for 1520 HK has been available for four days (and it is), but the OTA is still not happening.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb