What's holding you from leaving windows phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgc418

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Like another poster, I am looking for reasons to switch to Windows phone from android. I recently picked up a Lumia 635 gophone. They were on sale for $50 so I grabbed one to play with. With Windows 10 coming and msft claiming better synergy between desktop, tablet and mobile I figured it was a good time to see what their mobile os was all about. After using the phone just on wifi for a while I have come to some conclusions and I am not completely sold on this platform......yet. Somethings I am used to on my android phone that is missing on windows phone:

1. The messaging app imho is ugly. It is very plain and unimaginative. Way too dark. There needs to be some ability to change they way it looks to make it more appealing to those of us on android that can do this already.
2. I am not a fan of internet explorer in any form. I do accept that coming to windows phone means i have to deal with it. I do not like that I cannot change the default home page. Pinning a shortcut to the desktop for the page I want to go to by default, although an option, should not be needed.
3. Missing apps I use on a regular basis. The various time warner cable apps and the hbo go and max go apps.
4. Cannot print to my canon printer like I can from my S5.
5. No Chase mobile app. This is a big one since I use it on my S5 almost daily.
6. Not a fan of the keyboard. I like having a dedicated number row at the top of my keyboard. I have having to switch to get to numbers. I know not everyone likes it but at least give me the option to turn it on or off.
7. Various other apps and games I enjoy that I have not found in the windows phone app store yet. (but they are not a deal breaker)
8. Still trying to figure out how a windows device doesn't connect to windows shares natively.

There are a number of features I do like in windows phone but some of these issues listed above could be a deal breaker for me and prevent me from migrating. If these items get resolved it would make it a lot easier for me to migrate over.

Last edited:

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Like another poster, I am looking for reasons to switch to Windows phone from android. I recently picked up a Lumia 635 gophone. They were on sale for $50 so I grabbed one to play with. With Windows 10 coming and msft claiming better synergy between desktop, tablet and mobile I figured it was a good time to see what their mobile os was all about. After using the phone just on wifi for a while I have come to some conclusions and I am not completely sold on this platform......yet. Somethings I am used to on my android phone that is missing on windows phone:

1. The messaging app imho is ugly. It is very plain and unimaginative. Way too dark. There needs to be some ability to change they way it looks to make it more appealing to those of us on android that can do this already.
2. I am not a fan of internet explorer in any form. I do accept that coming to windows phone means i have to deal with it. I do not like that I cannot change the default home page. Pinning a shortcut to the desktop for the page I want to go to by default, although an option, should not be needed.
3. Missing apps I use on a regular basis. The various time warner cable apps and the hbo go and max go apps.
4. Cannot print to my canon printer like I can from my S5.
5. No Chase mobile app. This is a big one since I use it on my S5 almost daily.
6. Not a fan of the keyboard. I like having a dedicated number row at the top of my keyboard. I have having to switch to get to numbers. I know not everyone likes it but at least give me the option to turn it on or off.
7. Various other apps and games I enjoy that I have not found in the windows phone app store yet. (but they are not a deal breaker)
8. Still trying to figure out how a windows device doesn't connect to windows shares natively.

There are a number of features I do like in windows phone but some of these issues listed above could be a deal breaker for me and prevent me from migrating. If these items get resolved it would make it a lot easier for me to migrate over.

I kinda skimmed through your post and it sounds like you are better off elsewhere, however, to #2... Windows 10 will have "Spartan", not IE... The current windows 10 for mobile still includes IE, but the final build will have whatever they call the current browser known as Spartan.

Also, to #8... One drive integration works very well, also IE, which I see you don't like, syncs very well with your desktop (crossing fingers that"Spartan" syncs to the desktop as well as IE). I constantly will add bookmarks, either on phone or desktop, and pull up those links on the other device... Works very well.

Last edited:

MaxMones501

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
I love windows phone. I love the tiles and the simple UI and how colourful your phone becomes. Also the keyboard is perfect for me. Recently I tried to type on my friend's Note 4 and the keyboard was so confusing!!! And when I had an Android phone before I got my L830 it was so complicated to use!!! To delete an app you had to go into settings!! I might go to iOS if they improve it, but for the time being I am staying on WP :)

Main phone: Nokia Lumia 830 White
Tablet: Apple iPad Air 2 64GB Silver

Dk92

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
The fact that I'm so invested in it now. I've been a user of everything Windows since 1997. And I'm only 22! Its reliable and Microsoft is constantly innovating.

mgc418

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
I kinda skimmed through your post and it sounds like you are better off elsewhere, however, to #2... Windows 10 will have "Spartan", not IE... The current windows 10 for mobile still includes IE, but the final build will have whatever they call the current browser known as Spartan.

Also, to #8... One drive integration works very well, also IE, which I see you don't like, syncs very well with your desktop (crossing fingers that"Spartan" syncs to the desktop as well as IE). I constantly will add bookmarks, either on phone or desktop, and pull up those links on the other device... Works very well.

If spartan is much better the IE that would be great and I will give it a shot once it hits the preview builds and then in the final code. For #8 what I was saying didn't have to do with onedrive. It had to do with connecting to shared folders on my own network to move files back and forth just like any other windows device. I figured that would have been something baked right in from the start. I mean, why wouldn't a windows device connect to other windows shares? Maybe that will change in future builds. Already added my feedback to msft on that one. However I do enjoy the ui of my 635. The live tiles are awesome. It is very smooth.

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Well I got a 1520 almost an year back... It's a wonderful piece of hardware.. Camera ,screen and all. It does what I need well except for problems with some apps (like the ccrappy one note).. And I bought the phone free of contract so it was very expensive.. So intending to use it some more time

sparksy

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Very close to leaving, had two windows phones over last four years with no new phones on horizon updating my 920 to any existing windows phones seems pointless

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Very close to leaving, had two windows phones over last four years with no new phones on horizon updating my 920 to any existing windows phones seems pointless
MS has said that a new flagship is coming (right?) but it's anyone's guess when it might appear. My guess: late summer.

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I like the fact that this is indeed a very well optimised OS on my L930. Works perfectly, no glitches like u get with android (friend's nexus 5 and another friend's iphone 6). This just doesn't happen with WP, not to me atleast. I like the fact that WP aren't as common as android or ios, barelly missing any apps, and the store is actually the only downside. But the market is growing, so it will be fine soon enough. I can't even imagine using anything else. And, when Win 10 comes on PC and phones it will be awesome, everything synced and compatible. I'm still a windows fan on my PC so the connectivity will be awesome too. I also like the looks of the UI, and IE doesn't bother me at all (on phones heh) :)

Protocol Rahul

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Well, I would never go for an android cause I simply don't like it, no matter how hard windows falls(hypothetically), I would probably be the last one to jump out.
I still remember the days when I used to own a dumb phone 📱 and one day going through the phone store, Lumia 610 caught my eye. It was resting next to along the Samsungs and wow that feeling would never go. Proud owner of 520 and now 1020.

Last edited:

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Thought of a few more reasons. I find Google's relentless push to identify and store every part of my existence unsettling, and I don't feel that getting things "free" in return is worth it. The other major player, iOS, seems to be relentlessly figuring out ways to vacuum out my wallet by creating things like proprietary charging connectors, phones without replaceable batteries, etc. Plus, most employment requires extensive use of Windows products, so a phone that works seemlessly with them is very useful. That last sentence has me a bit worried though, as lately MS seems to be pushing the latest and greatest phone stuff to Android and iOS first. I don't sense a true commitment from MS to what we call Windows phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss