Which Phones work on Verizon

Justinius

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I've got a friend who want to use Windows Phone, but wants to stick with Verizon. What phones are currently supported on Verizon's network? He is looking at buying a no-contract phone and registering it on Verizon monthly plan. In our area Verizon really does have the best coverage so thats why he is staying.

So which phones can he pick up?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Off the top of my head:

Nokia Lumia Icon, 928, 822
Samsung ATIV SE, Odyssey
HTC One M8 for Windows

I personally recommend one of the Nokia's or the One.

Justinius

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
So that seems like all the stuff Verizon has carried except the 8x. But we were looking for any others that would also work even if they were released by another carrier. I know that Verizon uses CDMA which makes it tougher, but with just those phones its pretty slim pickings.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So that seems like all the stuff Verizon has carried except the 8x. But we were looking for any others that would also work even if they were released by another carrier. I know that Verizon uses CDMA which makes it tougher, but with just those phones its pretty slim pickings.

Woops, I forgot the HTC 8X!

So far as I am aware, Vzw does not allow BYOD (bring your own device).

ding ding ding!

the only phones that'll work with Verizon are Verizon branded, so you're limited to those above.
Sprint ones are technically compatible, but one does not simply take a Sprint phone to VZW and vice versa. (not that Sprint's selection is any better)

Nokia_Lumia

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Sprint ones are technically compatible, but one does not simply take a Sprint phone to VZW and vice versa. (not that Sprint's selection is any better)

A bit off-topic, but..

XDA used to have instructions from clever folks to flash a Verizon rom onto a Sprint Windows Mobile Phone (example - HTC Touch Pro, which Verizon crippled with lower amount of RAM). Ah, those were the days...

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
A bit off-topic, but..

XDA used to have instructions from clever folks to flash a Verizon rom onto a Sprint Windows Mobile Phone (example - HTC Touch Pro, which Verizon crippled with lower amount of RAM). Ah, those were the days...

I still remember the webOS days, where probably due to tight budgets, Palm's Pre lineup remained almost identical from the original, to the Plus, to the Pre 2.
People were swapping around the Sprint Pre's comm board into newer non-Sprint devices called "FrankenPres", cooking up doctors to run the new versions of the OS and still work with the network, etc. (basically webOS's version of ROM flashing was modding the equivalent of Lumia Software Recovery)

I also remember reading some review where the-gadgeteer's main writer, who's name escapes me, took a Sprint Treo 650 to Verizon.

Grabber5.0

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
I still remember the webOS days, where probably due to tight budgets, Palm's Pre lineup remained almost identical from the original, to the Plus, to the Pre 2.
People were swapping around the Sprint Pre's comm board into newer non-Sprint devices called "FrankenPres", cooking up doctors to run the new versions of the OS and still work with the network, etc. (basically webOS's version of ROM flashing was modding the equivalent of Lumia Software Recovery).

Some of us still are. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss