Disappointed with XBox Music & More

Bill McEachran

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
So after the big bad update, my Icon looks cooler and has Cortana; but for the most part, it functions much worse than it did when I was still with Black and 8.0...

I know the camera is faster but I'm not a big picture taker so that's not a big deal to me. What is a big deal to me is now my WiFi drops constantly, my phone goes through it's battery life much quicker, it gets hotter and the app I use the most (XBox Music) has become a pile!!!

First off I am a music pass subscriber, and an XBox Live Gold member, I pay them $25.00 per month just for the privilege of using their products. I own an Icon, a Surface Tablet, an XBox1 and a Win7 based PC...I'm an MS ******...but I'm pretty disappointed!!!

When I was using XBM for 8.0 everything worked great, all the albums streamed perfectly and had all songs. Now many songs are missing that were there before and I can't seem to get them back, plus some entire albums that were in my collection are now gone.

Here are a couple of examples of what I am experiencing. One of my favorite albums is The Doors: LA Woman (yes I'm almost 50). I've listened (streamed) to that album may times with XBM 8.0 with no issues. So the first time I try and stream that album after the update, only 1 song is listed; song # 2: L'America. I restarted, etc. etc...nothing changed. I noticed the that it was set to play all so I changed it to "all Streaming" and then all the songs showed, I was pleased!! So I'm listening away and the song LA Woman starts, about half way through the music stops, I look at the screen and now the song list for LA Woman lists only 2 songs, tracks 1 & 2 nothing more. I've been all over the MS forums (convoluted mess) and found nothing. I've checked my device list and my Icon is listed and dated the same day I did the update. XBM works fine on my XBox1 and when streaming through the website, everything functions as intended but not on my Icon; although it did for about 15-20 minutes and that's it. Today I just had a hankering to hear The Allman Brothers "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" from their Filmore East LP, I went to listen to the song, as I have many times in the past....guess what....I think you folks can figure out the rest!!!

Ready to go back to Rhapsody...

Sorry for the TL;DR

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Not that this fixes anything, but the Xbox music app in Windows 10, while looking the same, is way better in performance compared to the 8.1 and even the 8.0 version.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. I've had plenty of issues with XBM with my Icon as well. Some of which you describe but also the RADIO (Formally known as Music DJ) not showing up. I found that the app was not signing me in or keeping me signed in. Delaing with support via a twitter and chat I got duff questions like "are you using the same MS account on the phone?" Are you on WiFi?.Have you soft reset the phone? .... Im not a moron and before I contact support I have already exhausted the normal tech geek options myself that normally fix or correct nOOB problems. That's why I am now resorting to you, tech support, only to be asked the same or advised to do things Ive already done. I know this is how it works and that most folks that contact support are morons, but usually lately, I find most support to be not so helpful anymore.

Anyway, I found that since the Denim update most of my problems have gone away with XBM on my phone.I did the Denim update with the NLSRT and it did do a wipe of the phone. If you did yours OTA, I would recommend doing a backup and a hard/factory reset. My experience for almost all devices is better doing a factory reset after a firmware update.

Hope that helps.

killakiloz

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I have these same feelings, and that exact same issue with the albums only showing one or two songs plagued me too. Support was useless. I ended up having to manually redownload everything. My 830 also drops wifi now, and in general bttery life is worse. I have been an MS loyalist since Wp7 and my LG quantum, if things dont improve with 10, I'm out. Their services work better on other platforms anyway

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon