Why can't I re-install my Lumia 520 with Phone Recovery- keeps rebooting?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I was originally on the developer preview, but some kind of critical bug forced me to restore to the latest 8.1 version a few days ago. However the error happened again, where almost all apps I open crash. Now when I try to reinstall using Windows Recovery Tool 1.10, the "operation ended with failure". The phone seems to crash and restart in the middle of the process. Is there a way to stop this?I have already tried a soft reboot (nothing happens) and going to settings to reset the phone (usually it works, but it just restarts and nothing happens too). Please help! Any comments are appreciated!

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Can't reinstall Lumia 520 with Phone Recovery- keeps rebooting

Here's the hard reset button combo try this to see if its fixed.
1.Press and hold the Volume down button and Power buttons at the same time until you feel a vibration (about 10-15 seconds).

When you feel the vibration, immediately press and hold the Volume down button button until you see a large exclamation mark.

Once the exclamation mark appears, press the following four buttons in this order: Volume up button, Volume down button, Power button, Volume down button. Your phone should now reset and restart itself. (It might take a while for the reset to finish.)

Last edited:

Pratik Mazumder

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
i have the same problem and have tried to hard reset the phone but when the exclamation mark comes and i follow the order of buttons to press...then nothing happens and the phone restarts with no problem solved

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Re: Can't reinstall Lumia 520 with Phone Recovery- keeps rebooting

I was originally on the developer preview, but some kind of critical bug forced me to restore to the latest 8.1 version a few days ago. However the error happened again, where almost all apps I open crash. Now when I try to reinstall using Windows Recovery Tool 1.10, the "operation ended with failure". The phone seems to crash and restart in the middle of the process. Is there a way to stop this?I have already tried a soft reboot (nothing happens) and going to settings to reset the phone (usually it works, but it just restarts and nothing happens too). Please help! Any comments are appreciated!
Disable your lock screen pin.

Jessicator

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I hard reset my Lumia 520 running the August build and even with no lock screen pin and even skipping adding my Microsoft account, when trying to use the recovery tool, it fails. I'm trying to flash back to 8.1 to install the latest W10M build, since doing the update always fails after about 4% of "Installing".

blast Ast

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem. Nothing works, all apps crash and force the phone to reboot. This happens for the last 2 months (since July 28, 2015). I suspect the problem started after an update. I cannot fix this myself, nor did the service people at the Nokia service center i went.

What happens now? I have a zombie phone that no one can fix, only if i pay to have it replaced?
I did nothing wrong to damage it, apparently it's a thing with the 520 globally. So microsoft (or whoever else) ruined our phones.

As simple as that. Of course appliances don't last forever. But do not stop working from one day to the next either.

So my real question is this: Who do i blame for my phone and demand a replacement?

Jessicator

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I fixed it! This was truly bizarre. For some reason when I plug the office into the charging USB socket on my laptop (the one with the lightning bolt), the firmware always fails to reinstall. Simply plugging the phone into any other USB socket on my laptop allows the recovery tool to reinstall perfectly. I tested this a few times and it's consistent. The high power charging USB port on the laptop seems to be incapable of reapplying the firmware. No idea why, but for all of you with this issue, seriously, give another USB port a try!

xyjprc

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Same issue for me. Been trying all different approaches including the Nokia suite with no luck; finally connected phone using the original USB cable to a *USB hub* and then to the computer, and it finally worked! Guess it might be a problem of USB driver or USB3 issue.

Solution: try using a USB hub.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss