Got Cortana but lost Bing and QR code scanning

GraemeT

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi all. L820 O2 UK. I'm a bit baffled. Hope you can help. Just upgraded to WP 8.1 and Denim (not even sure if these are one and the same). So, I've got Cortana, which I don't rate that highly but that's probably me not using her properly. Here's my problem. I wanted to down load an app via its QR code published in a WP Central article. I used to touch the search key to launch Bing, and then Bing vision search to scan the QR code. Now of course, that action launches Cortana which doesn't seem to have Bing's vision search functionality. So it seems to me I can't scan QR codes now. Am I missing something here or have I really lost some functionality? Have I lost Bing completely? Apologies if I'm being a total ***** over this but I'm confused. Thanks in anticipation.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Cortana takes over from Bing entirely and in doing so lost some functionality, there are QR code scanners on the Store though. My guess is that the QR code scanning function wasn't used by many people and as a result Microsoft removed it.

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
The Bing search is still there, just type it into the box...

To get at the QR scanner is a little silly and long winded:
Go to Lumia Camera.
Select "..."
Click Lenses.
Click Bing Vision

G.

GraemeT

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Wow, thanks. What speedy responses. Appreciated. I used Bing's QR code scanner a lot, particularly as WP Central published them at the bottom of their app articles. What a shame. I'm a WP die-hard but I do feel we go off on some odd tangents sometimes. I'll check out your suggestions. Thanks again.

alexander0311

May 28, 2014
Visit site
to be honest, i personally never used the QR scanner through search. always used it from camera lenses. and i also think this is a more logical way to use it

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Now if we could just get the bar code scanner back. Now that I used ALL the time for comparison shopping. Go to store, find what I want, scan the bar code and see what other stores are charging. Then ask for price matching ;)

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
At least in the US there is an app called QR for Cortana. If you change you region to US and then lookj for the app in the store it should show up download and then switch back to UK

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion