Opening password protected files

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Is there a way to bypass the OS restriction where we can't view password protected files?

No. If the file is yours, the only way is to enter the password you have previously set.

Well, technically, yes, there is always a way, but that would fall under the category, "Hacking", which is illegal in a lot of countries. We might not encourage that, too, especially if the file is not yours. :angel:

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
No. If the file is yours, the only way is to enter the password you have previously set.

Well, technically, yes, there is always a way, but that would fall under the category, "Hacking", which is illegal in a lot of countries. We might not encourage that, too, especially if the file is not yours. :angel:

My lecturers usually email extra notes to us which are 100% of the time password protected. I enter the password and then the file fails to download. I have to use my laptop or tablet to view/download the file which I find highly inconvenient. Thanks anyway.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
My lecturers usually email extra notes to us which are 100% of the time password protected. I enter the password and then the file fails to download. I have to use my laptop or tablet to view/download the file which I find highly inconvenient. Thanks anyway.

If you choose to "save" the file, rather than "open" it, you should be able to download it to your device directly without having to enter a password. Once saved into your device, you may then enter the password to open it. For windows phones, this has been working for .pdf files through the Adobe app; a past (august 2014) update to Microsoft Office for windows phones also allowed the opening of password-protected files saved in one's phone.

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
If you choose to "save" the file, rather than "open" it, you should be able to download it to your device directly without having to enter a password. Once saved into your device, you may then enter the password to open it. For windows phones, this has been working for .pdf files through the Adobe app; a past (august 2014) update to Microsoft Office for windows phones also allowed the opening of password-protected files saved in one's phone.

Maybe I didn't phrase this right. I have to enter the password to download the file. I don't have to once downloaded. Here are some screenshots. I have to tap on the pdf link in the email first.

e443ec14e5d259235214dc602e533d98.png
d3b86dcee31cfb3c417afce5cc18e6dd.png
c605db178ced9e44475b7d81c86a74dd.png
257c528bdfbfbd35a65b886b57c05090.png

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Oh, I see, thanks for the clarification. So the files were technically not password-protected, but you are required to log in to some form of account before you can download them.

Head over to your Internet Explorer Settings, Advanced Settings, and make sure that your browser is not blocking cookies from websites. You may need to let it accept all cookies since the site where your files are uploaded to is not as popular as Yahoo!, Google, Outook or Facebook. Let us know if this works.

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Oh, I see, thanks for the clarification. So the files were technically not password-protected, but you are required to log in to some form of account before you can download them.

Head over to your Internet Explorer Settings, Advanced Settings, and make sure that your browser is not blocking cookies from websites. You may need to let it accept all cookies since the site where your files are uploaded to is not as popular as Yahoo!, Google, Outook or Facebook. Let us know if this works.

I checked. I'm not blocking cookies at all. I assumed it was the files that were password protected because sometimes the files don't seem to have been uploaded to Wits Sakai at all. As in it's be sent by email (its a non automated email), it doesn't come with the "a new resource has been added...blah blah" tag, I search every nook and cranny of the site and don't find it but it still requires my login credentials.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I checked. I'm not blocking cookies at all. I assumed it was the files that were password protected because sometimes the files don't seem to have been uploaded to Wits Sakai at all. As in it's be sent by email (its a non automated email), it doesn't come with the "a new resource has been added...blah blah" tag, I search every nook and cranny of the site and don't find it but it still requires my login credentials.

I see. Thanks for this info. But I'm out of cards. I'll get back to you when I come across something useful.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos