Lumia Denim available in Phils on 920 and 1020

mprebich

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Over the weekend, I was able to get the Denim firmware for both my 920 and 1020 (unlocked Phils country variant). I had been trying daily for weeks, even though it was set to download automatically, and nothing.

When checking my About setting, I realized I already had the Update 8.10.14219.341, which is synonymous with the Denim firmware, but I still had Cyan.

Here's what I did: I disabled the Preview for Developers, and rebooted the phone. Sure enough, when it restarted, the Extras + Info now showed the Denim firmware. Simple as that. It seems the Developer Preview was blocking it for some reason. This was also the case on my wife's 520. Same solution.

Give it a try if you are on the Preview for Developers.

p.s. Definite speed improvements on saving pics on the 1020.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Over the weekend, I was able to get the Denim firmware for both my 920 and 1020 (unlocked Phils country variant). I had been trying daily for weeks, even though it was set to download automatically, and nothing.

When checking my About setting, I realized I already had the Update 8.10.14219.341, which is synonymous with the Denim firmware, but I still had Cyan.

Here's what I did: I disabled the Preview for Developers, and rebooted the phone. Sure enough, when it restarted, the Extras + Info now showed the Denim firmware. Simple as that. It seems the Developer Preview was blocking it for some reason. This was also the case on my wife's 520. Same solution.

Give it a try if you are on the Preview for Developers.

p.s. Definite speed improvements on saving pics on the 1020.

As of 1:31AM Philippine Standard Time, 10 March 2015, the official website does not indicate that the Denim* update is available to the "general public" (those not in PFD) for the L920 and L1020. Denim is, however, available already for the L520.

What you are referring to is a known bug for the Extras+Info page for those who have downloaded the "latest" available OS "preview" for those who had their phones enrolled under the PFD program. The bug will show "Denim" when PFD is disabled, but it will revert back to "Cyan" once PFD is re-enabled. You won't even need to reboot the phone in most cases for the bug to manifest itself.

I, myself, have observed minor speed improvements with my L1020 in just disabling PFD, but my results are inconclusive - sometimes it will be faster without PFD, sometimes it will be slower.

*- The update received through PFD is already "Denim" although PFD still says it is "Cyan". The reason could be that there was no change in the firmware revision number from Denim to Cyan (as reported by many users, will vary for some devices), only an update in the OS version, whereas the nomenclature (Amber, Black, Cyan, Denim) was used mainly to refer to firmware + OS updates (not OS only updates). You may read further about it in the fora, but I think the revision numbers matter more than the "name" of the update.

mprebich

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
As of 1:31AM Philippine Standard Time, 10 March 2015, the official website does not indicate that the Denim* update is available to the "general public" (those not in PFD) for the L920 and L1020. Denim is, however, available already for the L520.

What you are referring to is a known bug for the Extras+Info page for those who have downloaded the "latest" available OS "preview" for those who had their phones enrolled under the PFD program. The bug will show "Denim" when PFD is disabled, but it will revert back to "Cyan" once PFD is re-enabled. You won't even need to reboot the phone in most cases for the bug to manifest itself.

I, myself, have observed minor speed improvements with my L1020 in just disabling PFD, but my results are inconclusive - sometimes it will be faster without PFD, sometimes it will be slower.

*- The update received through PFD is already "Denim" although PFD still says it is "Cyan". The reason could be that there was no change in the firmware revision number from Denim to Cyan (as reported by many users, will vary for some devices), only an update in the OS version, whereas the nomenclature (Amber, Black, Cyan, Denim) was used mainly to refer to firmware + OS updates (not OS only updates). You may read further about it in the fora, but I think the revision numbers matter more than the "name" of the update.

Thanks for the message. I'm still not sure what the status is, as the MS Denim update site is not correct or consistent.

Below is what shows on the site for the 520, 920 and 1020, the three phones we have. I first noticed on the 520 because it had the updated OS and Firmware versions as listed below, however it still showed Cyan, even though the site clearly says Denim for these version.

As mention in my initial post, I turned off Develop Preview and restarted the phone. After restart, Extras+Info now showed Denim.

When I went to my 920 and 1020, they had the same updated OS version as the 520, not the one listed below which is still listed on MS website. I have a later OS version matching that of the 520 with Denim. The firmware versions are the same as what is listed below and still on the MS website.

Just for kicks, I tried the same process, turning off Developer Preview and restarting. Sure enough Denim appeared.

Product Lumia 520 Description Country variant Release Denim OS version8.10.14219.341 Firmware version3058.50000.1425.0007

Product Lumia 920 Description Country variant Release Cyan OS version8.10.12393.890 Firmware version3051.50009.1424.0010

Product Lumia 1020 Description Country variant Release Cyan OS version8.10.12393.890 Firmware version3051.50009.1424.0009

Current status:

520 - as above with Denim

920 - Denim, OS 8.10.14219.341, FW 3051.50009.1424.0010

1020 - Denim, OS 8.10.14219.341, FW 3051.50009.1424.0009

As I mentioned, I have noticed significant speed improvements in the saving process after taking photos, which use to seem to take forever. Opening of camera app may be slightly improved, and picture taking also. but these not as significant as the saving time and readiness for another shot.

I'd really like to hear from others in Phils on your experience, i.e. if you were able to receive Denim or not, and if you have, any improvements?

Let's hope for something official on this from MS soon.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the message. I'm still not sure what the status is, as the MS Denim update site is not correct or consistent.

Below is what shows on the site for the 520, 920 and 1020, the three phones we have. I first noticed on the 520 because it had the updated OS and Firmware versions as listed below, however it still showed Cyan, even though the site clearly says Denim for these version.

As mention in my initial post, I turned off Develop Preview and restarted the phone. After restart, Extras+Info now showed Denim.

When I went to my 920 and 1020, they had the same updated OS version as the 520, not the one listed below which is still listed on MS website. I have a later OS version matching that of the 520 with Denim. The firmware versions are the same as what is listed below and still on the MS website.

Just for kicks, I tried the same process, turning off Developer Preview and restarting. Sure enough Denim appeared.

Product Lumia 520 Description Country variant Release Denim OS version8.10.14219.341 Firmware version3058.50000.1425.0007

Product Lumia 920 Description Country variant Release Cyan OS version8.10.12393.890 Firmware version3051.50009.1424.0010

Product Lumia 1020 Description Country variant Release Cyan OS version8.10.12393.890 Firmware version3051.50009.1424.0009

Current status:

520 - as above with Denim

920 - Denim, OS 8.10.14219.341, FW 3051.50009.1424.0010

1020 - Denim, OS 8.10.14219.341, FW 3051.50009.1424.0009

As I mentioned, I have noticed significant speed improvements in the saving process after taking photos, which use to seem to take forever. Opening of camera app may be slightly improved, and picture taking also. but these not as significant as the saving time and readiness for another shot.

I'd really like to hear from others in Phils on your experience, i.e. if you were able to receive Denim or not, and if you have, any improvements?

Let's hope for something official on this from MS soon.

Perhaps this may help: Updates have two parts, the OS update and the firmware update. The official Denim update starts with a Firmware Revision number 3051.50009.1451.10xx. The Firmware Revision numbers your phones (and my L1020) have are still under Cyan (1424). However, since your OS version is already the same for Denim (8.10.142xx.xxx), a known bug in the Extras+Info will say that you've already got Denim even if you still have Cyan firmware.

Updates through PFD are not shown in the Microsoft website... that's why they're called "preview". Disabling PFD triggers a bug with the Extras+Info, but it will not uninstall the updates you've received through PFD. Hence, the updates you got through PFD (Denim OS, Cyan Firmware) will remain... causing Extras+Info to show "Denim" after restarting your phone.

Nonetheless, since you've got the OS part of the Denim update through PFD, you will be having most of the features that the official Denim will bring. Once the official Denim rolls out (both OS and firmware), you should experience further improvements in speed (but that will be limited by what the hardware can do).

mprebich

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps this may help: Updates have two parts, the OS update and the firmware update. The official Denim update starts with a Firmware Revision number 3051.50009.1451.10xx. The Firmware Revision numbers your phones (and my L1020) have are still under Cyan (1424). However, since your OS version is already the same for Denim (8.10.142xx.xxx), a known bug in the Extras+Info will say that you've already got Denim even if you still have Cyan firmware.

Updates through PFD are not shown in the Microsoft website... that's why they're called "preview". Disabling PFD triggers a bug with the Extras+Info, but it will not uninstall the updates you've received through PFD. Hence, the updates you got through PFD (Denim OS, Cyan Firmware) will remain... causing Extras+Info to show "Denim" after restarting your phone.

Nonetheless, since you've got the OS part of the Denim update through PFD, you will be having most of the features that the official Denim will bring. Once the official Denim rolls out (both OS and firmware), you should experience further improvements in speed (but that will be limited by what the hardware can do).

Thanks for the further explanation.

Strange that MS would take so long to release this for unlocked country-variant phones which have no carrier involvement. And the 920/1020, two of their biggest selling flagship phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6