Why is Cortana not on my Windows phone 636 wp 8.1?

Mivdze

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
Why is cortana not on my wphone 636 wp 8.1

There is no option for cortana on my phone. Followed instructions to app list on how to video there it shows cortana above internet explorer, not on my phone it isn't. It does not seem to be anywhere. Language Settings-English. Region Australia, English[Australia]. lumia 636 wp 8.1.
please help.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: Why is cortana not on my wphone 636 wp 8.1

Can you tell me if your phone has recently been updated? Cortana for Australia was only for Update 1 and not just WP8.1.

I assume you meant Lumia 635? Have you checked to see if your phone has updates available?

Availability in Asia Pacific - Microsoft - Global

Your updates are based on where the phone is from as well. So if you purchased an overseas model you'll have to check the country rather than Australia.

If you installed the Developers Preview you may have issues getting updates.

Mivdze

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site

I bought it from Kogan. It's a nokia lumia 636 windows phone 8.1 os version 8.10.12397.895 I have attempted to update in setting-phone update. The box for Automatically download updates if my data settings allow it is ticked. it is wifi connected. Update status-downloading updates 0%. I can add or remove the tick from the box but the screen seems frozen?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Since I'm not in Australia I didn't even know that there was a 636... news to me. Just seems to be a variant of the 635. In any case looking at the update page it would appear that Denim is available for your phone and you don't have it on your phone yet.

What I would recommend doing is the following:

Check how much storage space you have. If you're phone storage is near full you cannot update your phone. You can move apps to the SD Card if need to clear up things or uninstall the apps.

Check to make sure your account is in sync. Go to settings -> email + accounts and make sure that your MS account is in sync, do a long press on it and tap sync.

Next preform a soft reset (this won't erase anything) -> hold the volume down and power button down at the same time until the phone vibrates. The phone will restart. Ensure that the time and date are correct after the restart (if it's wrong it can prevent updates, emails and the Store from working)

Make sure you're connected to WiFi and check for updates. The update does take some time to download.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte