Do apps work better and faster in Android than Windows Phone?

Tasha Jaiswal

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
So, at first let me clear it here that I'm a very big fan of WP stylish UI and secure ecosystem. But for a short span of time I have shifted from Lumia 525 to Moto E to experience the difference. What I figured out is the apps work much faster in android than in windows. For ex: apps like whatsapp, gaana, bookmyshow, paytm works much better in android. The apps are not just faster, but also provides a good UI. I don't know where the problem is. Plus, Moto E has much bigger battery than Lumia 525. So, my question is, do you also think that majority of apps work much better in android than windows? And is this the reason why wp is struggling in smartphones market?

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Yep most of them including MS ones work way better on my Nexus than 620 and looks much better and more integrated too.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Better....no freakin doubt about it. Faster...no.

I'd say it's the other way round! Just tested my L735 against a Samsung S3 Mini. Just using Telegram Messenger. On the S3 Mini, Telegram was faster to open, and the interface looked just like I see on my PC. However, deleting messages, clearing history, and locating contacts was much harder on Android. Too many menus in different places, and no real cohesion. In contrast, on Windows phone it was easy to do these things. No menus required.

So faster; perhaps they look nicer; but better? Not always.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
don't know really, what I can tell you is wp is more consistent, by this I mean you get used to its speed and you always know what to expect, android on the other hand.. will try its best to be as fast as possible, then it will try to run more apps at the same pace until it just starts breaking apart and nothing works

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Third party apps surely work better on Android. Take a look at any third party Music player on Android ex. Poweramp and any third party player on Windows Phone, no matter which phone, even the 1520. Poweramp on Android will perform like old Music + Videos hub of WP8, that fast! On the other hand, third party apps on Windows Phone are slow to load, sometimes stuttery and not that good in performance compared to native apps. Where WP shines is native, baked in apps.

sent from my LUMIA 920

Niraj Meena

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
Bro take an example of games like shadow fight, modern combat, etc (game which require atleast 1gb ram to run) when you minimize this type of game on windows you will never going to see lag on phone and if you open your minimize game windows phone not going to show blank screen while in android if you minimize for a while it's going to show you blank screen at a time of minimizing and reopening. I agree that in windows phone many of the application has bugs while android apps doesn't. However I always prefer windows because OS of windows is lag free while OS of android is too much laggy ever if you try to open contact list in android phone takes nearly 5-6 seconds while in windows it opens instantly. That's why windows is better than android ;)

Niraj Meena

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
Third party apps surely work better on Android. Take a look at any third party Music player on Android ex. Poweramp and any third party player on Windows Phone, no matter which phone, even the 1520. Poweramp on Android will perform like old Music + Videos hub of WP8, that fast! On the other hand, third party apps on Windows Phone are slow to load, sometimes stuttery and not that good in performance compared to native apps. Where WP shines is native, baked in apps.

sent from my LUMIA 920

Open store and search "Music Hub Tile" then download that application. This application which bring WP8 Music+Videos Hub back :)

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Bro take an example of games like shadow fight, modern combat, etc (game which require atleast 1gb ram to run) when you minimize this type of game on windows you will never going to see lag on phone and if you open your minimize game windows phone not going to show blank screen while in android if you minimize for a while it's going to show you blank screen at a time of minimizing and reopening. I agree that in windows phone many of the application has bugs while android apps doesn't. However I always prefer windows because OS of windows is lag free while OS of android is too much laggy ever if you try to open contact list in android phone takes nearly 5-6 seconds while in windows it opens instantly. That's why windows is better than android ;)

That's the thing I said. Contacts is a built in application, WP is always fast and smooth with native built in apps and definitely better than Android. For apps showing black screen on Android, we have the famous loading and resuming screens everywhere. I also love Windows Phone but there is a lot to be improved on the side of third party apps.

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
It all depends upon the app. One cannot make general statements about all apps on Android or Windows Phone.

Yes, you are right. For ex. Apps like new Mytube, Aerise for twitter are so fast and smooth, while others are not that much. Maybe it has to do with these apps are WinRT while many are Silverlight apps. But then again I don't understand why the Facebook app which is developed by Microsoft themselves is not as smooth as Mytube and Aerise? Are devs to blame or Microsoft for not providing enough APIs?

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
That's because WP doesn't have true multitasking like android. When apps are minimized they are suspended and not actually running.
Besides in my Nexus most minimized apps never crash when reopened and almost instantaneous while in my 620 something as simple as a Calculator or calendar gets stuck in resuming screen when you try switch from another app(I know the low ram on my device but these apps don't require so much ram and I've seen 1gb ram versions having same issues).

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
As someone who wrote code for over 40 years, I would say that, if it is better on Android, it is most likely the developers fault not the OS.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
That's because WP doesn't have true multitasking like android. When apps are minimized they are suspended and not actually running.
Besides in my Nexus most minimized apps never crash when reopened and almost instantaneous while in my 620 something as simple as a Calculator or calendar gets stuck in resuming screen when you try switch from another app(I know the low ram on my device but these apps don't require so much ram and I've seen 1gb ram versions having same issues).

For one, you're comparing a Nexus vs a 620. Not exactly a fair comparison...

I honestly don't notice much difference between my Nexus 7 (2013) and my 1520. Well, til 5.0.2, its a laggy mess. Dunno why.

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
For one, you're comparing a Nexus vs a 620. Not exactly a fair comparison...

I honestly don't notice much difference between my Nexus 7 (2013) and my 1520. Well, til 5.0.2, its a laggy mess. Dunno why.
Its Nexus 7 2012, besides as I said there are other WP in my family namely 920 and 1320 with my relatives and as someone who plays around with them a fair amount of time its obvious for me the shortcomings that WP has in app performance(although system apps are better here).

Niraj Meena

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
No way... I'm using Lumia 525 and if I play 1gb ram required games that's only shows resuming not calendar or calculator... If its showing that then hard reset your phone or open battery
Saver and turn off application which is running in background

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
No way... I'm using Lumia 525 and if I play 1gb ram required games that's only shows resuming not calendar or calculator... If its showing that then hard reset your phone or open battery
Saver and turn off application which is running in background
I've been using the OS for over 2 years now so I have tried everything it can offer.
One thing for sure is that WP 8.0 was much better in general performance than 8.1 and probably being in the DP only makes it worse.
Anyway I am not complaining about it, 620 is a dated device and the downgrade of performance is to be expected from newer OS versions. I am upgrading my phone anyway in the next 2 months ;)

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
You guys aren't doing a fair comparison. Make sure both phones have the same chipset. So Moto g should be compared to the Lumia 730/735 because they both use a snapdragon 400 with 1gb ram. Or even Lumia 525 vs s3 mini.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb