Notfications

justme0485

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
First off I would like to say I am very new to haveing a Windows smartphone. Ive always had Android or and Iphone. I thought I would give Windows phone a shot since ive tried everything( looking for something with good battery power like iphone) However I was curious to know if I could set my phone to blink like android does when I receive messages? Also whats a good brightness to set for your phone right now i have it on low. Do they plan to add more apps in the near future? There are some apps i'm used to having that are not on the windows store. thanks

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Windows!

First off what device do you have? It could change the answers you are looking for. As for a notification led, the answer is no, its all about the lock screen or Glance if your device supports it. As for apps, there is a gap, in some areas very large. There does tend to be a lot of nonofficial apps that will do the same thing, you just have to dig in the store or ask specifically in the forums.

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
First off I would like to say I am very new to haveing a Windows smartphone. Ive always had Android or and Iphone. I thought I would give Windows phone a shot since ive tried everything( looking for something with good battery power like iphone) However I was curious to know if I could set my phone to blink like android does when I receive messages? Also whats a good brightness to set for your phone right now i have it on low. Do they plan to add more apps in the near future? There are some apps i'm used to having that are not on the windows store. thanks

Apps database are slowly increasing, its a matter of time! As for brightness even a low profile gives sufficient brightness you can also keep in auto mode...and specially if your device has ambient light sensor it will auto adjust so dont need to worry !
The bad news is currently no led notifications system bacause of OS limitations. This can change with the coming of Windows 10 for phones. If you face any kind of problem dont hesitate contacting us in the forum we are all ears to your problems and solving them out.
Welcome to our community and for your support towards Windows.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There's currently no blinking notifications like you have on Android, although you do get icons on the lock screen.

Brightness (for me) is best at "Medium". Being at "High" can end up with higher battery usage.

More apps are being added by developers over time although the decision to add apps depends on the app developers themselves, not Microsoft.

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Using automatic bightness doesn't increase battery consumption? I have a htc windows 8x phone

Well anything you do in your device consumes battery, auto brightness is a good feature...if you are in bright light it will auto adjust so that you can see everything clearly and in the same way for low light conditions, and no...it doesn't take up battery juice

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
it doesn't take up battery juice

Well, it does:-

1) You're keeping a sensor active
2) The auto brightness isn't trying to save your battery, it's trying to make the screen more visible to you. Brighter screen - more battery drain.

How much this feature drains the battery, I don't know. I've always had this feature turned off as I didn't really like the screen dimming and glowing on it's own accord.

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Well, it does:-

1) You're keeping a sensor active
2) The auto brightness isn't trying to save your battery, it's trying to make the screen more visible to you. Brighter screen - more battery drain.

How much this feature drains the battery, I don't know. I've always had this feature turned off as I didn't really like the screen dimming and glowing on it's own accord.

I already mentioned that anything that you activate takes up battery juice...
Yea..i know that but it doesn't take up much battery I am on a l625, have personally tested this feature keeping auto brightness off and on...no difference in battery life! Although it depends on model because larger screen with high resolutions do take up more battery juice
Needles to mention it also depends on what conditions you use your device....if you are a regular traveller the sensor will remain active for a longer time
only method is trying out what suits your phone the best!

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I think this might be of some use...as reported Lumia 735 and 930 has hidden sensors waiting to be activated with led notification support. Cant give gurantee on the correctness though, it can be fake or correct..
http://wmpoweruser.com/lumia-735-has-a-secret-notification-led-pictures/

lcw731

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Aside from all stated above, if you want to get some peripherals there are other sources to get your notifications like the DT-903 and even the Microsoft Band. I have two of the wireless chargers and they work great. Nokia Wireless Charging Plate Overview - Microsoft - Global

Wireless charging doesn't work with his HTC 8x. Not exactly sure why someone trying out windows to make a big move would choose such an old phone to start with, except maybe cost. Hasn't there been issues with whether or not it 8x received the WP 8.1 update, not to mention if it will get Windows 10?

justme0485

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
I have the 8.1 update lol.. i'm curious is there a way to lock down the live tiles on the start page from moving or accidently being deleted?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss