Lumia 830 issues after GDR 2 update

theshowman

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I signed up for Windows Insider, got the GDR 2 update, got cold feet and decided to stay with it.
But ...
After about a couple of days, I think I've got issues that aren't going away.

1- after some time upon a power cycle, I stop getting any sound from notifications or even incoming calls.

2- again, some time after power cycle, I can't take any videos. Enabling video from the camera resets back to start screen.

I haven't done a full factory reset, maybe it will go away. Surprised noone else is experiencing it.

Last edited:

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
I signed up for Windows Insider, got the GDR 2 update, got cold feet and decided to stay with it.
But ...
After about a couple of days, I think I've got issues that aren't going away.

1- after some time upon a power cycle, I stop getting any sound from notifications or even incoming calls.

2- again, some time after power cycle, I can't take ant videos. Enabling video fun the camera resets back to start screen.

I haven't done a full reset, maybe it will go away. Surprised noone else is experiencing it.

yes this is the first instance of gdr2 issue on 830. do post back if hard reset clears the bug ;) good day

tamanasi

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
930 also has this notifications sound issue.
Another issue I faced was low media volume. When I play songs in my device, the sound is barely audible until I raise the volume close to 20.
This update seems to affect audio.

theshowman

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
According to Microsoft, my Lumia 830 has the latest Denim firmware:
Lumia 830 Rogers Denim 8.10.14234.375 02040.00021.15063.02001

Some more updates:
After experiencing the original issues with missing notification/ringing, I got the Windows 10 TP update and I thought what the heck, I'll make the jump to it given that 8.1 Update 2 was hosing up my system.
I did update to WM10 and after playing around with the TP for a couple of days, I decided that WM10 is not for me (not because it is a TP/unstable, but can't stand the new Hamburger menu in Outlook - as I need single hand operation, the fact that I can't pin inboxes to startscreen, the fonts are way too small and I think MS is killing many of the features that I like about WP8 and disliked about IOS/Android - and I think I made the decision that this will be my last Windows Phone before I start using my iPhone6 again that is sitting in the drawer)

Long story short, used the Nokia Recovery tool to move back to original Denim and everything worked fine again. After a couple more days, I said let's try to move to GDR 2 again, essentially after a fresh upgrade. I did, and hours later, the same issues came back:

- no notification
- no phone ringing sound
- any audio related app (such as iTuneradio, metrotube, etc) would no longer work
- etc

So, time for a hard reset this time - I did that last night, let the system download from backup and have started to use the Fresh reset of 8.1 with GDR 2 this morning. Haven't come across any issues yet. Will report once I do/don't. With the way it was before, it was only hours after restart that the issues showed up.

MR9LT

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Similarly suffering from the symptoms as everyone else. A hard reset only cures the sound for a short while and consequently even affects the ability to stream audio to BT devices.

theshowman

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I did a hard reset (factory) to GDR2 and been running for about 40 hours and the issues haven't resurfaced yet thank god. Seems like my experience is not quite like the previous poster.

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I have an issue with my two 830's since updating to GDR2 (from full Denim).

Text is randomly rendered in low resolution in certain apps. It's mostly obvious in new reading apps where there is a large amount of text. Some of the text appears to be rendered as expected, whereas some of the paragraphs are fuzzy and pixelated.

This issue is happening on both of my 830's, both updated from GDR1 Full Denim, one of the 830's has been hard reset and the issue still remains.

See attached for screenshots showing the issue in the Converge, NextGen Reader, and MSN News apps. All functioned without issues prior to the GDR1 update. View the screenshots at 100% to see the issue.

wp_ss_20150510_0001.pngwp_ss_20150510_0002.pngwp_ss_20150510_0003.pngwp_ss_20150510_0004.png

Arvind Panwar

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I am facing two issues after getting update2 on my L830:
1. While dialling, dialler freezes and call not even ends and shows as ending only.
- Restart solves this, but only for that instance.
2. Sometimes I dont get any ring on my phone. I dont mean just about volume, there is no notification only that there is any incoming call.

Is anybody else facing this issue? Any solutions?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire