Trouble getting 2G Data , 3G works fine. What's the deal?

Kunal Dudwadkar

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Trouble getting 2G Data , 3G works fine !

Ok, so all of a sudden i see that my phone isn't showing the "E" symbol for data. So i restarted it and yet no luck. Since WP does'nt allow it to be locked to a 3G network manually, i had to wait on my window for the phone to switch to 3G. And as soon as it did, i got "H" on my phone and data started working.So basically now i don't get "E" on 2G at all. It just appears for a nano second and then disappears. My mom's cell is on the same network and has "E" on all the time :\ My operator confirmed no issues on their side either. Confused what to do.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Trouble getting 2G Data , 3G works fine !

So, basically, the 2G type of connection is more available than the 3G type is in your location, correct? You can force your phone to limit its connection to 2G* and see what happens. Alternatively, you can try inserting your SIM into a different device (e.g. your Mom's phone since E seems to work there) and see what happens - you may try inserting your Mom's SIM into your phone and observe if your phone can detect the "E" her phone detects.

We're trying to see if it is your phone that is at fault or your SIM... since the "operator confirmed no issues on their side".

*- Settings > cellular+SIM > "Highest connection speed".

Kunal Dudwadkar

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site

Hmmm, none of the other phones at home can use the type of sim my Lumia uses. So i cannot swap sims and see if it works. I tried keeping it on 2G only and even if I dont it will go to 2G since my carrier's 3G signals are weak. Nevertheless, as soon as it jumps from 3G to 2G, i can see the "E" symbol appearing for a nano second and then disappearing. Although since yesterday I have been getting "E" but no data transfer at all. The small arrow indicating data transfer just doesn't appear. Data works fine on my moms phone with "E" and network from the same cell ID. I'm thinking of a hard reset, but it's tiring to go through the entire process again :\

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

Where I live, the "E" data connectivity is not reliable at all - it can be used occasionally for chats but not for loading pages or downloading apps.

There's one more thing you can try: if possible, try limiting your Mom's phone connection to 2G from her phone's settings and see if data transfer still occurs. This is despite acknowledging the fact that "E" is displayed on her phone while data transfer takes place. If data transfer stops in her phone under this setting, then it wasn't a purely/truly "E" connection. If data transfer still continues in her phone under this settings, then it is either your phone or your SIM that is at fault.

I would try my SIM in another phone as much as I can find a way to do so before performing a hard reset... besides, there's no guarantee a hard reset will fix the issue. There's a strange chance, there's just no guarantee.

Let us know what you find.

Kunal Dudwadkar

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site

Hey, thanks for the help. Actually my Mom has a Nokia Asha 501, so its basically just a 2G phone :p It's enough for her basic calls and whatsapp needs. Actually the phone started behaving rather odd in the last few days. i wudnt get any push notifications on wifi at all. Random freezes and stuff. So finally i did a hard reset and started from scratch instead of restoring a backup. Till now no issues getting "E" or "H". Lets give it a few days and see how it does :)

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for keeping us updated, and you're welcome.

Oh, so even in Wi-Fi things were odd. At any rate, it seems that the issue has been resolved by a hard reset... hopefully it stays that way. If things go wrong again, try to take note of the last thing/s that you did on your phone. I've read in the fora that installing certain apps (in the past) caused certain phones for certain users to start acting up... from the minor "Loading lag" to not being able to boot up the phone.

P.S.
Has your Mom considered "upgrading"?:cool:

Kunal Dudwadkar

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site

Hahah nahhh, that was the upgrade for her which i got from my salary :) And to top it all it is enough for her. She barely takes it out from her bag :p Not a phone addict like us ! N yeaah, my phones working fine as of now. Hope it stays that way.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos