Odd emoticon suggestion when typing

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
As an experiment I'd like to see what emoticon people are getting as a suggestion when they type "I have to " on the Windows Phone keyboard.

I'm deeply curious about the algorithms used for these choices as I've never texted that.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
As an experiment I'd like to see what emoticon people are getting as a suggestion when they type "I have to " on the Windows Phone keyboard.

I'm deeply curious about the algorithms used for these choices as I've never texted that.

What "emoticon" people are getting as a suggestion? I'm not able to follow your question. Usually, words are begin suggested in the Windows Phone keyboard right after entering a series of words, phrases or a clause. In the phrase "I have to ", the top words that are suggested are: be, go, do, get, wait, is*... but no emoticons there.

As for the algorithms, I think they have something to do with the most common words or groups of words thereafter that people are entering, and they also seem to be based on the location of the user. For example, I've observed that a certain infamous name became one of the top suggestions of my Windows Phone keyboard even if I have never typed that name through my phone - perhaps a lot of users are typing that name nearby or that Microsoft is trying to predict the most relevant words based on the current events in my location, i.e. Microsoft might have determined through Bing that I most likely might be typing in that name after a grammatically coherent clause like "Have you heard of [name gets suggested here]".

If you have a Windows Phone, you may try the clause yourself and see whether or not emoticons do get suggested as you mentioned.

*- "I have to is" is a grammatical blunder.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Usually emoticons come up as well, at least on mine.

I was curious because I get the pile of poo as the first choice following "I have to ".

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I get a pile of poo too. I usually get that when I type a word meaning poo, but I hadn't seen that before. Pretty funny.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon