GDR2 - Motion data

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
After doing some reading it appears you can't turn it off for whatever reason. Though apparently it uses very little battery.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
battery is one thing but user should be able to turn off such feature...not everyone wants to be tracked

You can turn off the places you've been but you can't turn off the tracking bit as it's part of the fitness app usage. If you don't want any tracking get rid of the fitness apps and do a reset.

Reset - hold volume down and power button together until the phone vibrates.

Whether this works or not I don't know but that was suggested somewhere.

But I do agree with you.

corey_blackstock

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure if this going to work or not, but you can try to change your date to year 2100-2200 something and select the motion data, and uninstall it.

STALKER-SVK

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site
You can turn off the places you've been but you can't turn off the tracking bit as it's part of the fitness app usage. If you don't want any tracking get rid of the fitness apps and do a reset.

Reset - hold volume down and power button together until the phone vibrates.

Whether this works or not I don't know but that was suggested somewhere.

But I do agree with you.

I dont have any fitenss app installed

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Did you perform the reset like I mentioned? Once the app is on there it activates Motion Data. Which was my point in the first place.

As also mentioned you can do a hard reset to change the settings.

Just trying to help. There's no other way to do things.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I did it and it just deleted tracking history but I still see "Your activity is recorded"

That's because, the current Motion app is version 2.0 and above. It automatically tracks data in contrast to version 1.x. So the only solution is backup and hard reset the phone (as mentioned by me above). When the phone hard resets, it will shows notification that motion app need to be updated. Just ignore the message and go on with life, and motion will not record anything. Also important, Do Not select motion in settings, because that will prompt to activate motion again.

Hope this helps.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you turn off "places you've been" it is not tracking you by location... And disabling GPS does not defeat your location tracking either.

The only way to make your phone "untraceable" is to put it in airplane mode and never enable a radio ever.

Who is it that you don't want tracking you via motion data? You see the data and Microsoft Servers see the data. If some investigatory agency gets a subpoena they can see the data, but they would just ask your carrier where your phone has been. It is tracked by pings off of towers constantly. Maybe if someone hacked Microsoft's server they would see you did 3,286 steps at place X on March 23rd, 2015. What does that get them? If some crazy ex asks, Microsoft won't give them the data. If some crazy ex has your log-ins and you are worried they can look you up, change your log-ins.

If you don't want your carrier, or Microsoft, or the authorities to know where your phone has been - there is ZERO way for you to prevent it other than throwing your phone away and never using another.

If you are worried about some other privacy breach, IMHO you are giving up way too much power that the tool you hold can leverage; all in the name of paranoia. The cloud is powerful, but it is on your side and will work for you way more than against you.

[/RANT]

xibartx

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
"What the hell is happening?" "I blew up the building." "Why?" "Because you made a phone call!" --Enemy of the State (1998) Will Smith and Gene Hackman

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre