Windows Phone needs to market the white theme!

Sonu K

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I have written this in many places. Now i thought i will make it as a post with some proof, hoping that someone from Microsoft see this.
Below is a picture came in gsmarena.com regarding new w10 phone UI.

right strategy.JPG

Mock windows phone displays are showed in WHITE color. We all know we can chose between DARK and LIGHT theme in windows phone. Because we USE wp. When it comes to others thats not the case. Check the below discussion happened below this gsmarena article.

wrong strategy.JPG

People DOESN'T KNOW you can make the default OS color as WHITE in wp. You know why? Because Windows Phones are always showed in the 'DARK' theme that is BLACK color. So people have a general idea that WP comes only in black color screens! Whenever i used 'LIGHT' theme in my phone, many people asked me "Hey why is your phone in that color and how do you do that?" When i told them it is possible in wp many were surprised and they told in advertisements most often wp are showed in black color! Even the famous 'cortana vs siri' advertisements shows black color display! People love brightness in their display screen. SO MICROSOFT, PLEASE SHOW WHAT YOU GOT TO PEOPLE,IF YOU WANNA SELL MORE DEVICES. Learn to show off.:angry:

Another thing Even after having the 'Third tile option' and 'transparent tile' option many ads still shows old style Big blocky tiles! Show what you got MS.
Show more customization options.Feature all those Tile Art guys in your promo videos.

Update: Another proof i found below another WP article.

another proof.JPG

Those guys doesn't even know message page with a white background in wp is possible!

Last edited:

Sonu K

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Also if any admins are seeing this post, please put this in the relevant section so that people from Microsoft(if they ever visit these forums) see this. I also would love to see an article discussion regarding this in WCentral.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Renamed to better fit the topic.

This is an enthusiast forum and not affiliated with MS.​ There's no guarantee anyone from Microsoft will see your post or not.

Worth noting you're extrapolating from literally one thread on Disqus.​ I don't think its a problem at all. I rarely see "if only it had a white theme!" I hear about apps, the camera, other things. You know, plenty of people enjoy dark themes too.

I honestly fail to see how having more white themed screens in marketing will increase sales by a discernable amount.​

Sonu K

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Renamed to better fit the topic.

This is an enthusiast forum and not affiliated with MS.​ There's no guarantee anyone from Microsoft will see your post or not.

Worth noting you're extrapolating from literally one thread on Disqus.​ I don't think its a problem at all. I rarely see "if only it had a white theme!" I hear about apps, the camera, other things. You know, plenty of people enjoy dark themes too.

I honestly fail to see how having more white themed screens in marketing will increase sales by a discernable amount.​

1. You can delete the post if you think it violate any rules of this forum and i'm sorry for that.

2. I think this is really important because we live in a world where people buy a mid-range device with a whooping amount of money just because it has an apple logo. The mass consumers Microsoft aiming to reach(the market share) don't have the basic knowledge of technology. They just need their phones to look good.

3. I know many people love dark theme including myself. And I'm not saying to remove or something. They just need to tell people what they got. They need to advertise that and tell people that WP is an almost virus free OS and unique stuff like that. But all we see is flipping tiles in the ads. I genuinely hope WP to be a success even though i reached wp because of Nokia. I'm fed of market monopoly of iOS and Android. (Many firms/websites/developers who has wp app never advertise it or put a link in their site. Go and check 'Cut the Rope's website.)

4. Just search these forums, you will find plenty of posts which says they met people who are unaware of windowsphone's existence or the power of windows phone. I hope WP get more promotion.

5. Most of the windows ads are silly and shows just Live Tiles.

6. Last but not least i would've liked if you kept the original title-may be without the lines in bracket-for this thread.
I don't know if people will be interested in this thread with this title. Once again, if you still think this thread is irrelevant, feel free to delete it. You are the Admin.
Thank you for your time.

Note : Oh and i was not extrapolating, i came across the same discussion minimum thrice before in websites like gsmarena. Also i have experienced this in my real(not internet) life too.

Torcher Death

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Am not sure about how the ads are in other parts of the world but here in India, the last good ad for a Windows Phone was of that of the L1020, but that was still under Nokia. Also the L520 ads were so good that I still remember them.

The ads now just plain suck. They keep rolling the same ad over & over again, just change the phone model. Basically we've been shown the same ad for the 630, 730 & 640xl. Don't remember seeing any ads for 830 nor the 1520. The new ads don't even focus on the phone, nor its capabilities & specs, but just show misleading apps like Skype (which is a miracle if responds properly), Instagram beta app that hasn't been updated in over a year, a facebook app not by facebook. Only the Office suite is acceptable, but that too is worse in comparison to the other OS', but still acceptable.

The PR team needs to be fired & replaced by the development team IMHO, cause well they seem to be more creative with the project names that sound so much better than the final product... But that's just my opinion.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
LOLz the best thing in the whole post is how the poll is directed to remain open for 6 months 16 days 23 hours and 56 minutes from creation.

Very specific and scientific...

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I don't believe for a second that having the ability to change the background color is going to change a single thing about people's views of the platform. Personally I think the accessibility options are a bigger boon than background color which sadly remains only black and white. I honestly hope they bring in more background color options as well as tile colors. I'd love to have some contrasting color choices to set my screen apart. Everyone can step their game up.

Sonu K

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I don't believe for a second that having the ability to change the background color is going to change a single thing about people's views of the platform. Personally I think the accessibility options are a bigger boon than background color which sadly remains only black and white. I honestly hope they bring in more background color options as well as tile colors. I'd love to have some contrasting color choices to set my screen apart. Everyone can step their game up.

Partially agree with you. But the unfortunate thing is, even if we get 100 color options, only the people who reads WCentral is going to know about this. Because Windows Phone ads will still show in black color and they will never advertise this feature.
:(
Windows Phone OS is far better than Android in many things. But unfortunately people don't know about this.You know why? Because all Microsoft show in the ads is their office apps and flipping tiles. Now You and i like livetiles and black color background. But the MAJORITY DOESN'T. That may be unfortunate but sometimes silly small things are so important.
It's like common people who only check the umber of megapixels while buying a camera phone. They don't give a damn if you have Pureview technology or WW || technology. I'm glad MS realized it and came out with a 8MP camera phone(L640) without the Pureview. They were keeping anything above 5MP as premium. But even if the photos are bad quality than our 5MP cam phones, Android had many phones with 8MP cams in MS' 5MP cam phone range. And people bought them obviously.

Sonu K

May 29, 2014
Visit site
LOLz the best thing in the whole post is how the poll is directed to remain open for 6 months 16 days 23 hours and 56 minutes from creation.

Very specific and scientific...

i did not meant to hurt you with my previous reply. It was posted by the immediate emotion which came to mind thinking that you are making fun of this post. I am extremely sorry and i apologize to you from the bottom of my heart. I deleted that post within few minutes i posted it because i realized you were just being funny. I also understood the flaws in the words of the poll. Once again i'm sorry if i hurt you. :(

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No worries... I understand completely this is your project. I meant no disrespect to you, but can see how it looks from the inside (your perspective) as a possible detraction. I will try to be more circumspect in my clownishness which is a natural impulse of mine.

I hope you get the data you are looking for.

For my part, I find that those I know on a competing OS are very wrapped up in the ecosystem and you could show them Windows Phone advantages all day and they just tune out...

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Ads and commercials have very little time to convey anything. This isn't even in the top 100 most important things for people to know about WPs so any time addressing it in ads means more important things go uncovered.

But its good for individuals to post in forums and social media about what they care about.

Sonu K

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Ads and commercials have very little time to convey anything. This isn't even in the top 100 most important things for people to know about WPs so any time addressing it in ads means more important things go uncovered.

But its good for individuals to post in forums and social media about what they care about.

i understand what you are saying. But I'm not saying that they should show a demo of toggling between dark and light themes. What i am saying is, anyway they will show a Lumia device in any print or TV or web ad(Obviously). So why don't they show it in 'light' theme too. They don't need a single extra second for that. They have to change the render colors. That's it! This might me 100th thing if you think about promoting the possibilities of WP OS. But (unfortunately) for the majority who runs behind 'looks', it matters. MS is yet to discover or utilize the power of advertising when it comes to windows phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos