Is windows phone worth it if you don't live in a country ms cares about?

Peter Andersson

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi i live in Sweden and currently own a Lumia 920, but its getting old and its soon time to change..
So my options are get a android phone or wait until Windows 10 and get a new flag ship phone then, but i don't know if i want to support Microsoft anymore when they can't be bothers to enable all features for Swedish customers..

I don't care about Cortana, but what i do care about is the swype like keyboard (i can't really see the problem with enabling it for all keyboard layouts???)
and the "Quiet hours" function would be nice..

So are there any workarounds to get those functions or should i just give up on MS? (Note i'm normally a MS ****** but i don't know if its wise to be one when they don't give a dam about smaller countries).

Peter Andersson

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Last time i did that i lost the capability to call my Swedish numbers, im not 100% sure but i think it appended the wrong country code to my phone numbers..

Edit: or it might have been that the number detection failed, so when my contact's called me i did not get their name and picture..

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Quiet Hours is "hard wired" to Cortana so to use Quiet Hours you need Cortana.
So to use Quiet Hours you need to activate Cortana. You can change your settings to several regions.
See also http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...vailable/1b94c48b-20a4-483f-8aee-3fde582aecd4

Swipe is Hard Wired to the keyboard you use. See also http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/how-to/wp8/basics/feature-and-service-availability
So the only way is to use a keyboard which supports swipe (wordflow)

The country code "problem" you experienced can be solved by disabling in Settings > applications > phone > set "international assist" to OFF.

But in general I agree that fot many smaller countries/regions the support is far from optimal. I am Durch so no local Cortana but swipe is supported in my languages.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
It's very annoying, that Quiet Hours is tied to Cortana, and Cortana is tied to location services. As far as I can see, there are no alternative 'quiet hours' apps in the store.

Perhaps if you set the phone to UK you'll achieve what you want.

Peter Andersson

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I set my phone to US and disabled "international assist" as Harrie-S suggested so far i haven't had any problems, but ms needs to stop locking stuff in if they want more windows phone users... i can't see any reason for not allowing "Quiet Hours" world wide and why the wordflow isn't enabled on all keyboards...

Peter Andersson

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Last edited:

mikey2toes

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking of going to android as here in Ireland I cant even get Cortana. If I change to uk region I cant download any apps. There's very little features outside US and India. Untill Microsoft stop playing favouritism regarding features I may never move back to wp.

Peter Andersson

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

The regional format is set to "Swedish (Sweden)" but the calendar app still uses the Regional format based on the Country/Region.

Even if i change Regional format to UK i get the wrong date/time format, the funny thing is that other apps use the correct formats for example the alarm app uses the swedish format its just the calendar app that uses the wrong format...

Peter Andersson

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Managed to fix the time format issue by following doing the following
Hi!
I got my phone fixed, I have English (US) as my prefered language and Finnish regional settings AND the 24-hour clock in my calender..
I tried my own version from the tips on the msdn forum.
1. Settings, language, change the order of the languages, native (finnish) first, than english(US) which I prefer. The phone is restarted.
2. Check your calender and date and time settings, everything is ok (except the language).
3. Go and change the prefered language back to be the first (english, US for me). The phone is restarted. Now all the times are AM/PM. Go to the date+time settings, there is now a setting for 24-hour clock!

Note this text was copied from some other site but apparently im not allowed to post links...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
So,

Phone Language = US English
Country/Region = US English
Region Format = Sweden

Getting the OS to respect the region format setting required you to switch the phone language to Swedish and then back again (bug?). Right?

You're sure that the device is using Swedish date/time throughout, and not reverting to US format, for example, on the lock screen?

Last edited:

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Instead of going through this much trouble you can always switch to Android and iOS.
Unless
You are WP fan
Or
Other OS situation is same as WP.

They are just OS. Simply use which one you find convenient.

Peter Andersson

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
So,

Phone Language = US English

Country/Region = US English

Region Format = Sweden

Getting the OS to respect the region format setting required you to switch the phone language to Swedish and then back again (bug?). Right?

You're sure that the device is using Swedish date/time throughout, and not reverting to US format, for example, on the lock screen?

Yes if i use those settings every thing but the calendar app gets the right setting..

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Instead of going through this much trouble you can always switch to Android and iOS.
Unless
You are WP fan
Or
Other OS situation is same as WP.

They are just OS. Simply use which one you find convenient.

Or... you know... OP could show support for the platform which would let Microsoft know that they should care about Sweden.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb