Why can I only get a 2G Connection on my Lumia 930 with Denim update?

Idris Ahmed1

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
Select 2G Connection on Lumia 930 with Denim update

Hello, I currently have a Lumia 930 with the 8.1 Denim update. I live quite high up and get almost no 3G connection on my phone, let alone 4G. Anyways, this means my battery drains quite quickly when I'm at home as it is always trying to connect to 3G/4G connections. Is there any way I can tell it to use 2G only? I use wifi when I'm at home anyways.

I did some digging online and I found a bunch of people saying type in "##3282# into the dialler", but this seems to do nothing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: Select 2G Connection on Lumia 930 with Denim update

Go to SETTINGS > mobile+SIM > there you have an option "highest connection speed" and set it on 2G.
And/or just set "Data connection" to OFF.

Idris Ahmed1

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site

Hello Harrie,
If only it was that simple... Screenshot shows that I cannot select 2G as I do not have the option to in settings.

wp_ss_20150504_0001.jpg

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

I actual should have know that you already tried this so sorry.
Did you have 2g before the Denim update?
Because it looks like a "glitch" during the update. Is the option to disable data greyed out?

Idris Ahmed1

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site

Hey, I don't recall having 2G option before the update, I think that in the UK with EE (A network carrier over here), you may just not have the option. I can turn the mobile data slider to off but in the "Highest Connection Speed" menu, it is still selected on 4G (I can still toggle between 4G and 3G so I'm assuming it will still try to establish a 4G connection). If we have no more ideas, I will ask the guys at EE and ask them if this is the case and will get back to the thread.

Thanks for your help regardless.

JoaoCSM

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

It depends on the software country variant.

Lumia 930's GBIE CV does not allow you to set it to 2G (nor to set Google as default search provider). Italian on (IT CV) does.

So I flashed my Lumia 930 (GBIE CV) with the italian software. Now I can get 2G in the max speed setting and Google as default search provider in IE.

743fd4f5ff72aaa04395f83d08a3e894.jpg

Idris Ahmed1

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site

I see, so it depends on the country you are in. When you say you flashed it with Italian software, what exactly did you do?

Thanks a lot, at least now I know it is UK only, I can figure out who decides this and ask them why?

JoaoCSM

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

I see, so it depends on the country you are in. When you say you flashed it with Italian software, what exactly did you do?

Thanks a lot, at least now I know it is UK only, I can figure out who decides this and ask them why?

No, it doesn't depen on your location. It depends only on your phone software. I live in Portugal. The phone I bought came from UK. So it had the GBIE CV software.

To change it, use Nokia Care Suite (you can search about it here in windows central). It is like debranding your phone but instead of using it from a branded to an unbranded software I used it from an unbranded to another unbranded software (from british to italian country variant).

I don't know who decided which software gets what.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb