Cell Broadcast settings on Windows 8.1

Lych Sisickij

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Hello Forum mates,
I would be really grateful if someone could clarify current situation regarding cell broadcast (when network broadcasts certain text messages to all users of a specific network cell) in Windows 8.1? In country where I live it is used to inform citizen about incomming natural disasters etc.
I am planning to buy Lumia 930 and yesterday I have looked at it in the shop. Unfortunately I could not find any cell broadcast settings in the menu, consultant at the shop was also unable to help me/answer my questions.
Could someone advise regarding this? Is it possible to enable cell broadcast on 8.1 and if specific channels are configurable?
Thanks you

Kunal Dudwadkar

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Hey, cell broadcast feature is not available on windows phone. Even I would love too see the Cell tower info next to my operator name on the phone tile.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello Forum mates,
I would be really grateful if someone could clarify current situation regarding cell broadcast (when network broadcasts certain text messages to all users of a specific network cell) in Windows 8.1? In country where I live it is used to inform citizen about incomming natural disasters etc.
I am planning to buy Lumia 930 and yesterday I have looked at it in the shop. Unfortunately I could not find any cell broadcast settings in the menu, consultant at the shop was also unable to help me/answer my questions.
Could someone advise regarding this? Is it possible to enable cell broadcast on 8.1 and if specific channels are configurable?
Thanks you

In my experience, Windows Phone is not consistent across all variants on this feature. I think much depends on variant firmware. For instance on my ATT branded 830 I can access cell broadcast settings and receive SMS-CB. Also on a T-MoUS branded 925 I used to own Cell Broadcast was receivable and configurable. However, on my Lumia 1520.3 which is generic for the Latin America Region and has no Country Variant attached, I could not receive nor configure for Cell Broadcast.

Therefore I am led to the conclusion that Lumia Firmware enables CB in those areas mandated by law to require it and left out otherwise depending on the original market the phone in question was manufactured for.

In my case the settings for CB are found under Messages > Settings > emergency broadcast > I can not deselect "Presidential Messages" (national alerts), but can opt in or out on several other categories: Extreme Alerts, Severe Alerts and Amber Alerts (local child abduction alerts).

Also, if I access Field Test menu... dial ##3282# > accept warning > settings > I can then toggle CMAS-RMT off or on. (Commercial Mobile Alert System - Regular Monthly Test) This will determine if I get test messages from the system or not.

Try testing this out on the phone in the shop and see if Cell Broadcast is enabled and configurable on the device. Chances are it will be if mandated by law in your country and the device was manufactured specifically for sale there.

Hey, cell broadcast feature is not available on windows phone. Even I would love too see the Cell tower info next to my operator name on the phone tile.

I'm not sure you are addressing the same topic: Cell Broadcast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

leo3487

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
Thanks than Windows Phone has not that ****
No know how unsoportable are them when you use an Android phone at Movistar. Then unwanted you find than are suscribed to several premium SMS services due the only button available is "accept" than suscribe you to those services

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks than Windows Phone has not that ****
No know how unsoportable are them when you use an Android phone at Movistar. Then unwanted you find than are suscribed to several premium SMS services due the only button available is "accept" than suscribe you to those services

Sounds like a Moviestar push. Can't you just ignore the message and not click Accept? The ones you did Accept, reply STOP and they should go away.

Check with your carrier. Cell Broadcast is primarily for emergency alerts and is a free message that official agencies broadcast.

Sounds more like you are referring to Short Code messages. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_code

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo