Can I setup and switch between two Microsoft Accounts in Windows phone 8.1?

Aswin Thotapalli

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
Can i setup and switch between two Microsoft Accounts in windows phone 8.1

Me and my brother have lumia devices with windows phone 8.1, and be both buy apps and games from windows phone store. So instead of me buying the same game which my brother already bought, can i add my brother's microsoft account to my lumia device and switch between the two accounts in the windows phone store.

harihar akhil

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: Can i setup and switch between two Microsoft Accounts in windows phone 8.1

Yes you can download any thing you brought from store in any number of devices if they are signed in with same MSFT account as primary. If you are saying that you can add another account as secondary and download app that are brought from that account you can't.its not possible to download apps from a MSFT account that isn't primary.

Aswin Thotapalli

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site

Yes you can download any thing you brought from store in any number of devices if they are signed in with same MSFT account as primary. If you are saying that you can add another account as secondary and download app that are brought from that account you can't.its not possible to download apps from a MSFT account that isn't primary.
Thank you, Can you clarify one more thing. As far as i have seen this is not possible but for clarification. Can i remove one Microsoft account and add another Microsoft account as primary without resetting the phone?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Thank you, Can you clarify one more thing. As far as i have seen this is not possible but for clarification. Can i remove one Microsoft account and add another Microsoft account as primary without resetting the phone?
No. https://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8/accounts-and-billing/change-a-microsoft-account-faq

▼What will I lose if I change my Microsoft account?

To change the Microsoft account you use on your phone, you first have to reset your phone to factory settings. This will delete any content and settings you've added to your phone, including music, videos, pictures, apps, games, documents, and accounts.

If you decide to reset your phone, you should first back up all of your content to your computer or OneDrive (formerly called SkyDrive). But if you bought anything that uses Digital Rights Management (DRM), you may not be able to use it once you've signed in with your new account unless you buy it again. You'll also need to repurchase any apps or games you bought with your old account once you've signed in with the new one.

To learn more about backing up content to your computer, see Which apps can I use to sync with my computer? and Back up my stuff.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

The Store Apps and games are not transferrable between accounts. So if your brother buys a game on his account, you will also need to buy it on your account to play it as well. Or he can lend you his phone if you want to play the game for a while.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos