[Guide] Installing WP 8.1 Update 2 on Lumia Devices**

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Had some time this weekend to give this another try. Started from a fresh phone recovery image by first flashing with the latest rom using the WP Recovery Tool. Then ensure the micro SDCard is freshly formatted for the phone. Actually took a new card just for that.
I get all the way to downloading the update and preparing to install to 13% and then I get the dreaded error message that it can't open the downloaded update.

Since I am always getting to the same exact point in the process I am now wondering if there is something wrong with the flash memory on the phone itself since I see that other ATT users with L830 were successful (or are those users with an RM-985?).

I give up. Waiting for a usable W10 preview....

Last edited:

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
Had some time this weekend to give this another try. Started from a fresh phone recovery image by first flashing with the latest rom using the WP Recovery Tool. Then ensure the micro SDCard is freshly formatted for the phone. Actually took a new card just for that.
I get all the way to downloading the update and preparing to install to 13% and then I get the dreaded error message that it can't open the downloaded update.

Since I am always getting to the same exact point in the process I am now wondering if there is something wrong with the flash memory on the phone itself since I see that other ATT users with L830 were successful (or are those users with an RM-985?).

I give up. Waiting for a usable W10 preview....

I have an 830. RM-983.

It worked for me. Though the first time I tried it, it did not work... (I had Pasquiindustry's/Djamol's SD card hack implemented before I even saw this tutorial). But I was on the stock OS version that ATT had for the phone.

What was happening....it kept downloading and installing the same OS update...lol (and it wasn't Update 2)

Since the RM-983 comes with a lower OS version (8.10.14176.xxx) you have to update it to the latest OS version on PfD first....to 14219.xxx.

After updating to 14219. Hard reset. Then do the SD card hack, then change device ID's ...soft reset. And check for updates. You should get the update. Make sure you do a hard reset after so that your phone's device ID changes back to the 830.

If there was something wrong with your NAND on your phone, I doubt you would've been able to flash via the Toolkit

http://imgur.com/l1QFEWi

Extras + info says RM-983_1001 - ATT-US

Last edited:

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Yes, welcome! Loving being in the GDR2 club myself.

** seems faster! **

It does I have a Nokia Lumia 520 and the thing is like a rocket. Super responsive and the keyboard is brilliant! I don't know why they don't make it available for all phones in glad for Grozaman and Pankaj for their instructions and helping us get it.

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
yep, my escapades are posted here.

Sorry, I forgot to look for your first post.

This is interesting.... I'm now inclined to flash back to stock with the Nokia Care Suite and re-do this to see if I can get the update again...I am not sure exactly why this wouldn't work? I don't think it would be firmware dependent because I have the same firmware as you. (....14404.07019)?

Not that this matters, but I did notice on Navifirm+ that the Lumia 830 (RM-983) had new firmware available early last week, but when I went to go compare it to what I had already on the stock ATT image, I noticed it was exactly the same as what I had?

Maybe, they did something to the stock Denim firmware?

Anyway, I'm gonna flash back to stock via the NCS and see if I can get update 2 again....lol -If I can't, oh well...I have my 635/1520 for update 2.

I'll report back on the status as soon as I can.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site

This is interesting.... I'm now inclined to flash back to stock with the Nokia Care Suite and re-do this to see if I can get the update again...I am not sure exactly why this wouldn't work? I don't think it would be firmware dependent because I have the same firmware as you. (....14404.07019)?

Not that this matters, but I did notice on Navifirm+ that the Lumia 830 (RM-983) had new firmware available early last week, but when I went to go compare it to what I had already on the stock ATT image, I noticed it was exactly the same as what I had?

Maybe, they did something to the stock Denim firmware?

Anyway, I'm gonna flash back to stock via the NCS and see if I can get update 2 again....lol -If I can't, oh well...I have my 635/1520 for update 2.

I'll report back on the status as soon as I can.

One suggestion you should use the Windows recovery tool instead of the Nokia care suite. The windows tool is far better and its updated all the time. Nokia care suite is being fazed out as Nokia no longer owns their mobile division therefore will stop supporting Lumia windows phones. Windows recovery tool here:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=525569

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
can't expect you to read all the posts. just linked so you can see I did some work and it wasn't my first try.

But why would you go through the pain of doing it again? I see you got your Update 2. Why bother to find out for somebody else you don't even know?

I am currently trying this on my wife's L830, also ATT. She is pretty upset that I am resetting her phone, but I promised her it will all be back the way it was and better ;)

later
​cheers

edit1: I am past 34% on my wife's L830. I think this is it....Installing update now.
edit 2: update done, migrating data, WP 8.10.14226.359 is installed...Update 2 installed on ATT Lumia 830 RM-983
dang, just not on my own phone....

this will haunt me. I will try this again

Last edited:

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
It does I have a Nokia Lumia 520 and the thing is like a rocket. Super responsive and the keyboard is brilliant! I don't know why they don't make it available for all phones in glad for Grozaman and Pankaj for their instructions and helping us get it.

Are you sure it's faster? What about switching several apps back and forth? I only know GDR2 brings new settings app and MKV support.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Are you sure it's faster? What about switching several apps back and forth? I only know GDR2 brings new settings app and MKV support.

It honestly is alot better. Seriously its like I have a new phone and I've had my L520 for it be a little over two years now. Its so much better. I haven't had a single crash yet (you know the dreaded "resuming" screen) no its an all round improvement.

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
@djeire84 _ I interchange between flashing tools. I like using the NCS because I can switch over to test mode to check hardware faults if needed. -Or recalibrate something if needed. But IMO, both work still for the current version for all my phones (and allow me to still download firmware from the servers).

@derausgewanderte _ Actually to be honest my 830 is not my primary phone. So flashing back and forth is something I don't mind. I guess what I am more interested in is why you guys (including RumoredNow) cannot update to Update 2.

In addition, IMO I find this process is not at all hard/difficult. It's a bit time consuming, but I have the time atm. Believe me, when you cook ROMs for a hobby (back in the WM6/WP7 days), it's something that you just get used too (seeing what works and what doesn't). Plus I've been doing the SD card hack for months now...I used to do the SD card hack manually until Djamol updated his automated method app, so with the automated app...it takes way less time.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
@djeire84 _ I interchange between flashing tools. I like using the NCS because I can switch over to test mode to check hardware faults if needed. -Or recalibrate something if needed. But IMO, both work still for the current version for all my phones (and allow me to still download firmware from the servers).

@derausgewanderte _ Actually to be honest my 830 is not my primary phone. So flashing back and forth is something I don't mind. I guess what I am more interested in is why you guys (including RumoredNow) cannot update to Update 2.

In addition, IMO I find this process is not at all hard/difficult. It's a bit time consuming, but I have the time atm. Believe me, when you cook ROMs for a hobby (back in the WM6/WP7 days), it's something that you just get used too (seeing what works and what doesn't). Plus I've been doing the SD card hack for months now...I used to do the SD card hack manually until Djamol updated his automated method app, so with the automated app...it takes way less time.

I suppose if your happy with your flashing methods why change them. Its just a suggestion based on my own usage of NCT the Windows phone flashing tool is another great flasher too, that's what I used for applying my custom ROM.

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
It honestly is alot better. Seriously its like I have a new phone and I've had my L520 for it be a little over two years now. Its so much better. I haven't had a single crash yet (you know the dreaded "resuming" screen) no its an all round improvement.

No resuming??? No app refresh? Count me in, I will try it in the weekend. I also have a L520.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
While I previously posted that it didn't work on my own Lumia 830, I can say it does work fine on another Lumia 830 on ATT (RM-983). I just updated my wife's Lumia 830 to WP 8.1 Update 2.

Too busy to try this again on my own phone for a couple days, but will definitely try that again. Can't have the inferior L830 in the household.

Try updating it further to 15137
ooops, I already did a hard reset to restore a backup. I assume I have to edit the registry the same way to do that.
I simply followed your instructions from first post ;)
4) Reset after updates are installed >> Start fresh

edit: actually after rebooting and restoring backup it does read 8.10.15137.148 in settings - phew

Last edited:

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
Ha yea... It'll be inevitable someday that the NCS will see the grave. I guess I should count my days using it. >>> Umm I thought MS locked the WPFT down to only OEMs? I haven't even bothered with the WPFT in quite some time....

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
While I previously posted that it didn't work on my own Lumia 830, I can say it does work fine on another Lumia 830 on ATT (RM-983). I just updated my wife's Lumia 830 to WP 8.1 Update 2.

Too busy to try this again on my own phone for a couple days, but will definitely try that again. Can't have the inferior L830 in the household.

Ha, awesome! Good deal! I was getting a bit paranoid that my 830 and update 2 was just a fluke...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)