[Guide] Installing WP 8.1 Update 2 on Lumia Devices**

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Ha yea... It'll be inevitable someday that the NCS will see the grave. I guess I should count my days using it. >>> Umm I thought MS locked the WPFT down to only OEMs? I haven't even bothered with the WPFT in quite some time....

All you need is to download the rom from NaviFirm+ and use the WPFT to flash it to your phone. Its great. Really fast too.

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
edit: actually after rebooting and restoring backup it does read 8.10.15137.148 in settings - phew

Actually the hard reset is needed after you update to Update 2 only to restore your device back to it's default device ID since you changed it via the SD card hack. While starting fresh without a backup is usually preferred, I don't really think it's necessary in this case. But for safety concerns, I would probably just check and see if the phone has AT&T - NOKIA listed in the "About" section of the settings.

ca_guri

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
It does I have a Nokia Lumia 520 and the thing is like a rocket. Super responsive and the keyboard is brilliant! I don't know why they don't make it available for all phones in glad for Grozaman and Pankaj for their instructions and helping us get it.

Now I am unable to deploy the "CustomWPSystem_0500.xap" app, the deployer gave the me "Error- package could not be opened".. Now can't do the registry hack anymore 😞😓 ; Only this app gave me error, I also download the app "DevProgramUI_Release_ARM.xap" from xda website, and it installed without any error, I think the "customWPsystem" app is not compatible with update 2....

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Now I am unable to deploy the "CustomWPSystem_0500.xap" app, the deployer gave the me "Error- package could not be opened".. Now can't do the registry hack anymore 😞😓 ; Only this app gave me error, I also download the app "DevProgramUI_Release_ARM.xap" from xda website, and it installed without any error, I think the "customWPsystem" app is not compatible with update 2....

Ok what you need to do to make this work is to start with a fresh install (Use Windows recovery tool and start again) When reset or flash is complete use the SDK tools lite to developer unlock your phone. Go to Windows phone developer registration, connect the phone, click register, log into your Microsoft account, wait and it will say phone unlocked. --Phone is now dev unlocked--
Turn off your phone take out the SD card. --Leave it out for the time being--
Go to NaviFirm+ download the rom
[[for driver to be installed and work efficiently you must disable windows driver signing to do this go, start, type cmd, right click run as admin, copy this into first line: bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS hit enter put this in the second line bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON hit enter, restart your pc]]
When pc is restarted connect your phone to the Windows phone image designer and flash the rom downloaded from NaviFirm+ (to find the rom needed refer to the OP start of thread).
Once done your phone will restart and you must download/install all apps before moving onto the deploy step.
Once phone is updated to the latest denim (you will get this over the air as normal DO NOT DOWNLOAD PREVIEW FOR DEVS YET)
Turn off phone insert SD, turn on phone and when the sd notification comes up (save new apps, pics, media to sd tap yes/ok).
Now download Preview for devs it will auto install to SD, don't open it at this point just pin it to your start screen. Connect phone to pc, open your phone by going into computer and access your SD like you would normally for saving music etc and copy into the documents section of the SD CustomPFD_0003.xap into it (you can download this from google)
Open SDK tools on your pc, click on windows phone app deployment and deploy the CustomWPSystem. Once deployed follow the instructions on how to do this at the start of this thread.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Was just doing some further testing on the **seems faster** bit to make sure it's just not a "placebo effect" getting to me.

I started and switched between a number of apps, several of which usually take quite a bit of resuming on my 635. When switching between them, I got about a 1 to 2 second resume once out of 5 times on average. The other 4 out of 5 times there was no resume, just a smooth switch. Before the update, it was always 1 to 2 second resume between every single app for these particular apps every single time. I'm convinced. This is definitely faster. Your device, apps and mileage may vary, but I'd say people have a good chance of getting much better performance with GDR2 over GDR1.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the guide, shame this cant work with devices without an SD card (Lumia 930)

For the 930 once you get the Denim firmware and OS v1422x, enroll in Windows Insider >> select fast ring >> phone update >> uncheck "auto download updates" (!!!important) >> check for updates. The first update it finds is OS v15116, that's Update 2. I'm currently running it on my 920

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
Woke up this morning after flashing, re-doing the SD card hack, and checking for updates on my ATT 830...with Update 2.

So....yea. All is good on my end getting Update 2 on all my phones.

EL620

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Been running update 2 on the 822 a few days and so far I think the phone feels alot better. Touch, scrolling and performance improvements, seems faster. No issues after restoring latest backup.

Now I'm going to load this on my old 620.

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
Been running update 2 on the 822 a few days and so far I think the phone feels alot better. Touch, scrolling and performance improvements, seems faster. No issues after restoring latest backup.

Now I'm going to load this on my old 620.

Honestly I thought it was a placebo effect, as I've been running Update 2 on my 1520 for a couple of days now....but it really does feel more polished than Update 1 in terms of stability. And I know, it's really difficult to distinguish between improvements on some updates....but seriously, I would get some serious lag to my start screen on Update 1 when switching between start and another app. I don't think I've seen it yet since I've had this update.

Vince Lupe

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys, I am getting the error that you are seeing below? Does anyone know how to fix it?

Capture.PNG

Thank you in advance, guys and girls :D May the LORD bless you all :D

Vince Lupe

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Are you installing to the SD card? Go into storage sense and make sure "store new apps" on the phone instead of the SD.

Yeah, I am installing to the phone - just checked, but then again, I just realized that I don't have my SD Card installed - lent it to my dad for his work. Do I have to have an SD Card as well? It IS mandatory, isn't it? That's beside the point.

Thanks, man :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb